Goonstation Forums
Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Give Porta-Gene another chance? (/showthread.php?tid=5470)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Archenteron - 09-26-2015

With the genetics changes that pre-load everyones genetic samples into the database, and the new activator/recycling mechanic, would it be possible to get maybe one portable genetics machine (assuming the activator/recycler bit works with it) added to genetics so people can set up shop somewhere on the station and try to peddle their mutations?

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Anticheese - 09-26-2015

I'd be cool with one that dispenses activators, and allows you to add/store mutations. Adding anything more is an invitation for people to fuck off to the pathology ward or tech storage to play the genetics minigame all round. Activators and mutation storage is a reason to interact with the crew, and get paid.

Also maybe it could accept used activators for the usual bonuses.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - BaneOfGiygas - 09-26-2015

Anticheese Wrote:I'd be cool with one that dispenses activators, and allows you to add/store mutations. Adding anything more is an invitation for people to fuck off to the pathology ward or tech storage to play the genetics minigame all round. Activators and mutation storage is a reason to interact with the crew, and get paid.

Also maybe it could accept used activators for the usual bonuses.
This would be feasible, and with the recent change to genetics making the job considerably less antisocial, I'd be down for this being given another shot.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Grek - 09-26-2015

TBH, I feel like at least 50% of the problems with the last Porta-Gene test run was less geneticists being shit and more the crew having a semi-sanctioned hate boner for Genetics. If you (as I tried several times) set up the Porta-Gene somewhere public and invited people to step right up and get some mutant powers, people would steal the Porta-Gene and crush it, because they knew the Admins would look the other way.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Ed Venture - 09-26-2015

Grek Wrote:TBH, I feel like at least 50% of the problems with the last Porta-Gene test run was less geneticists being shit and more the crew having a semi-sanctioned hate boner for Genetics. If you (as I tried several times) set up the Porta-Gene somewhere public and invited people to step right up and get some mutant powers, people would steal the Porta-Gene and crush it, because they knew the Admins would look the other way.

The hate came from them not doing their jobs and cloning people. That issue has been solved and the reason admins looked the other way on that is because nothing in the rules say you can't crush a geneticist's gear. I don't see the harm in letting them have the porta-gene back.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - babayetu83 - 09-26-2015

why not make it so it requires a powersource

either by powercells, hooking it directly into an apc/powergrid

it'd be nice so that someone can't just rush and immediately steal it and hide somewhere in maint for the entire round with it

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - 69andahalf - 09-26-2015

babayetu83 Wrote:why not make it so it requires a powersource

either by powercells, hooking it directly into an apc/powergrid

it'd be nice so that someone can't just rush and immediately steal it and hide somewhere in maint for the entire round with it

Why not make it like the portal in telescience where is draws a massive amount of power?

It'd be cool if there was a downside to using a port-a-gene, such as the machine glitching out and resting someone's genetics entirely, changing them into someone else, or giving them a new set of random genes. Something that makes it more annoying to use than the ones in genetics so they don't hide off in a dark corner and only come out at the end of the round as a genetic monster to murder the antags.

It might also be nice if you had to build one from a circuit board found somewhere in telescience or the debris field. It could be found in some old broken down part-a-gene, surrounded by horribly modified monkeys out for blood. It'd at least explain why it's buggy/has a huge drain on power.

There was something hufflaw was working on like this, but I don't know if he wants to talk about it or not.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Huff H Law - 09-26-2015

Grek Wrote:TBH, I feel like at least 50% of the problems with the last Porta-Gene test run was less geneticists being shit and more the crew having a semi-sanctioned hate boner for Genetics. If you (as I tried several times) set up the Porta-Gene somewhere public and invited people to step right up and get some mutant powers, people would steal the Porta-Gene and crush it, because they knew the Admins would look the other way.
It's not that we would look away, it's just that we don't see crushing up non-essential equipment as being damaging to the round or whatever. It's acceptable grief.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Winklabom - 09-26-2015

I say bring the Port-a-Gene back on the premise that it's something you can find somewhere in space and bring it back on station to scan and duplicate.

Hufflaw Wrote:It's not that we would look away, it's just that we don't see crushing up non-essential equipment as being damaging to the round or whatever. It's acceptable grief.

That's a whole lot of worms coming out of that can there, Hufflaw! Next thing you know, idiots will go and destroy everything that is "non-essential" for the round to continue claiming that it's "acceptable grief" according to the admins.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Huff H Law - 09-26-2015

Winklabom Wrote:Next thing you know, idiots will go and destroy everything that is "non-essential" for the round to continue claiming that it's "acceptable grief" according to the admins.
Just because they wouldn't get banned for it doesn't mean you can't arrange justice for them in game using security or your fists or whatever.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Vunterslaush - 09-26-2015

I would honestly rather see the Port-a-medbay return instead.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - BlackPhoenix - 09-26-2015

Winklabom Wrote:Next thing you know, idiots will go and destroy everything that is "non-essential" for the round to continue claiming that it's "acceptable grief" according to the admins.

Plenty of people space/crusher the janitor's cart, the clown's helium tank, and I've even seen the bible destroyed or spaced. This has been a thing for a long, long time, and the community tends to understand that it's funny to do occasionally, but trying to go out of your way to make somebody's round unplayable is dumb.

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Anticheese - 09-26-2015

Additionally, dead bodies don't got rights. Quit getting indignant when I want to make a quick buck as an assistant by harvesting corpses. crossarms

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - Frank_Stein - 09-26-2015

Sync the porta-gene with geneticist pdas and let the geneticist teleport them to their location like the porta-brig

Re: Give Porta-Gene another chance? - hipBEE - 09-26-2015

bring back the portagene but it can only do activators and cool hair. or just the cool hair. add a portabarber imo