Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why was the Singularity removed?
Zadeon Wrote:I literally saw a singularity bomb yesterday or so on the escape shuttle. No one primed it though (unless it was a fake).

If used a black hole just comes out.
Isn't a black hole basically a Singularity minus the wandering and eye damage?
Cogwerks Wrote:It was terrible, dumb and constantly ruined rounds. The times people bombed it in some valiant last-ditch effort were cool, but rare, and not worth the headache of a thousand "singularity's out, call the shuttle" round endings. It left nothing for engineers to do once it was turned on, it'd just sit there being a big dumb photoshop cloud until it inevitably fucked the round up.

The containment field and lasers were cool though.

The TEG can kill the entire station with a little work, but it'll never ruin itself permanently due to incompetence. It can be an incredibly powerful weapon in the right hands, but if you don't know what you're doing, it's really only a danger to engineers - and it can be repaired unless someone outright bombs it. I don't want to have newbie engineers fucking everything up for everyone else, I want the engine to be more or less foolproof until you intentionally abuse it and push its limits.

It's trivially easy to capture deathgas from the engine and release it elsewhere. It's intentionally hard for the engine to do that by itself.

Valve transfers can't be replaced on the engine, if you happen to be taking a walk down patty cake lane with welding fuel swinging behind you when you're trying to fix breaks in what appeared to be freezing temperatures (or so the temp meter says) BOOM! then you've got a missing valve that can't be fixed, shitty.

Now to my main concern, someone fiddled around with the combustion chamber, it seems every time I try to have a decent burn at 1 on the pumps it snuffs flames out, anything higher just drains the canisters too damn fast.

That and the cold loop gas still ending up in medbay mysteriously sucking through all the cannisters of coolant, you walk into medbay and find that it's leaking mysteriously from the cryo pods.

I'd also like to know how the wizards are keeping a hellburn that busted the pipes infinitely running the engine, I have tried for eons and I can't replicate such results, is it admin voodoo?
BeardedElectron Wrote:I'd also like to know how the wizards are keeping a hellburn that busted the pipes infinitely running the engine, I have tried for eons and I can't replicate such results, is it admin voodoo?

The engine is a little more finicky than usual but a hellburn is still totally doable. Hellburns are half science, half cargo cult. There are many people that can show you how to do them and NONE of them will he precisely the same.

If you need a teacher and can't find anyone bug one of the Desmeres, ArthurBOT, or Arthur.
The sing-bomb had gorgeous sprites. Be fun to see reworked as a proper black hole bomb.
Zadeon Wrote:I literally saw a singularity bomb yesterday or so on the escape shuttle. No one primed it though (unless it was a fake).
I mean, as in, put it back into the engineer's traitor PDA.
BeardedElectron Wrote:Now to my main concern, someone fiddled around with the combustion chamber, it seems every time I try to have a decent burn at 1 on the pumps it snuffs flames out, anything higher just drains the canisters too damn fast.

That and the cold loop gas still ending up in medbay mysteriously sucking through all the cannisters of coolant, you walk into medbay and find that it's leaking mysteriously from the cryo pods.

I'd also like to know how the wizards are keeping a hellburn that busted the pipes infinitely running the engine, I have tried for eons and I can't replicate such results, is it admin voodoo?
Are you remembering to open the combustion chamber vent? If it's not open, the CO2 will smother the flame.

Cold loop pressure will naturally drop on its own even without any leaks, simply because it's cold. Personally, I don't really buy the "cold loop leaking into Medbay" theory, because most people use pure plasma in the cold loop and even a small amount of that stuff in the atmosphere is super noticeable.

It's incredibly easy to run a hellburn. Just get the combustion chamber hot enough (using a certain specific gas mix) and the burn will run fine without any management at all on the player's part. My personal theory is that the way various capped and uncapped values interact means that a hot enough combustion chamber simply brings the engine numbers so high that it simply bruteforces its way through every factor that limits normal burns, producing pressure faster than the broken pipes can vent it and overwhelming the negative factors in the power generation calculations with sheer big numbers.
It was removed because it ruined everything all the time. yes the whole gimmick of 50 singularity bombs was amusing SOMETIMES but that shit got old real quick.
This engine talk reminds me: Does anyone know what exciting, fantastic, and/or lethal power generator we're getting when Cogmap II hits?
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:This engine talk reminds me: Does anyone know what exciting, fantastic, and/or lethal power generator we're getting when Cogmap II hits?

You can see it on the Cog2 map on GoonHub. Some sort of laser and mirror array.
Fusion I think.
Paineframe Wrote:
BeardedElectron Wrote:Now to my main concern, someone fiddled around with the combustion chamber, it seems every time I try to have a decent burn at 1 on the pumps it snuffs flames out, anything higher just drains the canisters too damn fast.

Are you remembering to open the combustion chamber vent? If it's not open, the CO2 will smother the flame.

Cold loop pressure will naturally drop on its own even without any leaks, simply because it's cold. Personally, I don't really buy the "cold loop leaking into Medbay" theory, because most people use pure plasma in the cold loop and even a small amount of that stuff in the atmosphere is super noticeable.

It's incredibly easy to run a hellburn. Just get the combustion chamber hot enough (using a certain specific gas mix) and the burn will run fine without any management at all on the player's part. My personal theory is that the way various capped and uncapped values interact means that a hot enough combustion chamber simply brings the engine numbers so high that it simply bruteforces its way through every factor that limits normal burns, producing pressure faster than the broken pipes can vent it and overwhelming the negative factors in the power generation calculations with sheer big numbers.

cold loop leaking into medbay is rare but it DOES happen, you can see my bug report about it, someone confirmed it's a thing... I do open the shutters but unfortunately I continue to run out of gas in the combustion chamber, pressure drops if the pump is set to 1 anything higher than 1 uses the gas too quickly, someone else recently complained saying "that's a first, I ran out of gas in the combustion chamber" because someone fiddled with it.
BeardedElectron Wrote:
Paineframe Wrote:

cold loop leaking into medbay is rare but it DOES happen, you can see my bug report about it, someone confirmed it's a thing... I do open the shutters but unfortunately I continue to run out of gas in the combustion chamber, pressure drops if the pump is set to 1 anything higher than 1 uses the gas too quickly, someone else recently complained saying "that's a first, I ran out of gas in the combustion chamber" because someone fiddled with it.
Pressure? In the combustion chamber? If you can read the pressure in there then you're doing something horribly wrong. I guess it's possible someone fiddled with it, but I don't see how it would be possible. The combustion chamber is like a gas burner - if any gas is flowing at all, that should be enough to keep it burning. If no gas is flowing to burn, it shouldn't light up in the first place. There really isn't a middle ground where it maybe works but not all the time.

And no, the "engine leaking into Medbay" thing was not confirmed. The post that "confirmed" it was immediately followed by an admin saying that the strange gas behavior that person had reported was because a coder had been messing with the atmos variables that round. The idea that the cold loop leaks is a misconception caused by not understanding how pressure is affected by gas amounts and temperatures in SS13.
Weavel Wrote:The sing-bomb had gorgeous sprites. Be fun to see reworked as a proper black hole bomb.

That's actually my motivation for reviving the thing.
Mind you, the singularity bomb black hole is a lot more like the singularity of old than the regular black hole.

For one it sticks around longer, it will also move around a lot more on its own. The reason you don't get a permanent black hole is due to it not being very fun having an item that in practice ends the shift when used.
Erev Wrote:
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:This engine talk reminds me: Does anyone know what exciting, fantastic, and/or lethal power generator we're getting when Cogmap II hits?

You can see it on the Cog2 map on GoonHub. Some sort of laser and mirror array.

I don't remember where I saw it, but it was pointed out that the engine on cog2 lines up with the CE's office, the Armory, the brig, and the bridge. Seeing the linear shape the engine, how there's an odd amount of windows in line with the engine, and a pair of channel forming walls outside the CE's window, something tells me that catastrophic failure with Cog2's engine means boring a hole through the entire station. I approve of this.