Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the Derringer SHOULD work.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:Having it on the command page means you have your mouse scrolled over the right hand side of the screen, you click it, then you have to scroll your mouse back over to the left hand side. Like I said, no flow.

Man, if moving the mouse a few inches to the right, and then a few inches back to the left throws you off, you must be the most unrobust person on the server.

I like the idea of pocketing derringers. I honestly thought that was already a thing you could do, it adds a bit more versatility to the weapon. There's still nothing that beats winking at someone and pulling a gun out of the butt on your head, though. Style trumps functionality. v

I would eat my hat if you think you would be able to quick draw faster than clicking a command on the right and scrolling back to the screen than a middle click. Actually it's unless you have two cursors on the screen, it's not physically possible. Also that "robust" argument. aha. Cute. big grin

Cogwerks Wrote:It will fit in pockets now.
I don't see much need for any other commands - if you want a silent retrieval, just keep it in a pocket. If you want to stash it somewhere else, use *wink.

*wink is mostly for panache anyways.

My whole suggestion wasn't about a silent retrieval, (the whole noise when pulling it out on the second fix n' all) it was about being able to run down the hallway and pull a gun out and mow someone down in the blink of an eye, something that derringer can't do now (I reiterate, 2 telecrystals for 2 bullets, a total waste), pocket or no pocket, and personally it should.
The *wink may be panache, but it's useless and meta. Anyone seen *winking will be immediately looked at.
Sundance Wrote:And stop suggesting typing ANYTHING out, it makes it look like you've never used the derringer.

If you think three keys is too slow, you've got to be pretty unrobust in general. x-space-enter is probably the fastest and easiest compromise available and honestly I'm a little miffed you not only replied to the concept as a side note In a post to someone else, but also went as far as to make some sort of sweeping statement about people's play experience?

I've never had trouble sneaking up on someone, typing ctrl-v-enter, and shooting them rather quickly. You can do it with one hand, never taking your other hand off the mouse. No loss of flow.

I suggested making it an obscure command name since you seemed opposed to the idea of using ctrl-v.

On top of that, since you're one of only two people bothered by this, why not drop 10bux on a mouse with keybinding capability? That's what I did; I mapped all the keyboard shortcuts to it and the game plays much faster in general. Heck, just map "ctrl-v-enter" to middle click and you've just created that button you want! Wow!

In fact, I bet the mouse you're using right now is capable of such a thing for free with sone free software!

Honestly, with such a small number of people who care at all about this sort of thing, I don't really see the point in paying special attention to them when client side fixes are available and easier than coding a fix.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:And stop suggesting typing ANYTHING out, it makes it look like you've never used the derringer.

If you think three keys is too slow, you've got to be pretty unrobust in general. x-space-enter is probably the fastest and easiest compromise available and honestly I'm a little miffed you not only replied to the concept as a side note In a post to someone else, but also went as far as to make some sort of sweeping statement about people's play experience?

I've never had trouble sneaking up on someone, typing ctrl-v-enter, and shooting them rather quickly. You can do it with one hand, never taking your other hand off the mouse. No loss of flow.

I suggested making it an obscure command name since you seemed opposed to the idea of using ctrl-v.

On top of that, since you're one of only two people bothered by this, why not drop 10bux on a mouse with keybinding capability? That's what I did; I mapped all the keyboard shortcuts to it and the game plays much faster in general. Heck, just map "ctrl-v-enter" to middle click and you've just created that button you want! Wow!

In fact, I bet the mouse you're using right now is capable of such a thing for free with sone free software!

Honestly, with such a small number of people who care at all about this sort of thing, I don't really see the point in paying special attention to them when client side fixes are available and easier than coding a fix.

You're suggesting me and other people to buy a mouse to something that could be easily implemented for EVERYONE to enjoy, and for free?
I honestly have nothing to do say to you when you start suggesting stuff like buying things.
I'm not annoyed by the derringer currently, but it could be much much better if middle click activated it (command toggle on/off as suggested by marq)
No ctrl+v+enter, just literally 1 button, as most things work ingame but not the derringer because of it's archaic and meta.
Why are people getting so buttmad over this, it's such a simple fix.
You entirely glossed over the rest of my post where I also suggested the free options; i.e, the bulk of my post.

Look, when only two people would have fun with an idea, I think that it's a little lame to change things for everyone to meet the expectations of those two people.

And I can't grasp your concept of 1 button being significantly faster than three buttons pressed simultaneously. With how laggy the game is, pressing pgup and pressing ctrl-v-enter are the same speed, anyways.

I also can't see why having the versatility of x-tract-derringer being both easily typed AND clickable is so abhorrent to you.

Your "flow" concept seems to be extremely specific to you and your needs. That is why I suggested alternatives on your end which satisfy your specific need.

I was not suggesting that everyone buy a mouse with keybindings, I was suggesting that you personally, buy one
Pockets achieve most of what you wanted. Ugh, that button...
Cogwerks Wrote:Pockets achieve most of what you wanted. Ugh, that button...
For two telecrystals more I could buy a revolver with 18 bullets, 6 of them armor piercing. 2 telecrystals, small gun with 2 bullets. 4 telecrystals larger gun with 18 bullets. Derringer is not picked because it's good cogs, it's picked because 2 telecrystals is what people have left. I'd like to see some statistics at the amount of times a derringer is bought and the amount of times someone actually is killed by a derringer.
--- edit:
reverted the extra ammo change, sorry.

Quote:(I reiterate, 2 telecrystals for 2 bullets, a total waste)

The coder who made the derringer wants it to remain as a two-shot weapon of last resort, and according to buylist tracking, it gets used quite a lot already. It's one of the most purchased items, it surpasses the revolver box.

Quote:The *wink may be panache, but it's useless and meta. Anyone seen *winking will be immediately looked at.

Deal with it. The winking and alert about removing a derringer from a mustache or sunglasses is the punchline to that gun, that's why it exists.
"It's meta" isn't really a meaningful criticism when it's a joke item anyways.

From the guy who made it:
"...try to keep it's role intact, i.e. not a weapon for open assaults"
Cogwerks Wrote:Deal with it.

[Image: Bl0qg9l.gif]
Cogwerks Wrote:--- edit:
reverted the extra ammo change, sorry.

Quote:(I reiterate, 2 telecrystals for 2 bullets, a total waste)

The coder who made the derringer wants it to remain as a two-shot weapon of last resort, and according to buylist tracking, it gets used quite a lot already. It's one of the most purchased items, it surpasses the revolver box.

Quote:The *wink may be panache, but it's useless and meta. Anyone seen *winking will be immediately looked at.

Deal with it. The winking and alert about removing a derringer from a mustache or sunglasses is the punchline to that gun, that's why it exists.
"It's meta" isn't really a meaningful criticism when it's a joke item anyways.

From the guy who made it:
"...try to keep it's role intact, i.e. not a weapon for open assaults"

The problem isn't that it's two bullets. I didn't suggest more bullets, 2 is fine and I agree with the original coder about if not being a weapon for open assaults. But it's two bullets that you are likely to miss because first you have to type it out, then you get a big message:
Sundance Feely winks
Sundance Feely pulls the derringer from his shoes!

The issue isn't the pulling the derringer from your shoes part, it's the winking part that's meta, because if you see someone act suspicious then they wink, chances are that person has bolted for the nearest door. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of pulling the derringer out of random parts of your clothing and that should stay, but the *wink is pretty damn redundant, nor does it add to the punchline. Giving it a hotkey + an ejecting sound then having the funny quote of pulling it from their shoes is far better in my ever humble opinion.

Another thing that I totally forgotten is the fact when you strip someone, the derringer just falls out on the floor, which is also lame as hell. The derringer should stick to the clothing and should only be brought out by the message. This way you could bring a derringer into jail with you.

Captain_Bravo Wrote:[Image: Bl0qg9l.gif]
Real mature.
A hotkey would probably be doable.
Cogwerks Wrote:A hotkey would probably be doable.

*groan
That was my original suggestion and the suggestion I was arguing through the entire thread. I just chose middle-mouse click because I thought it was convenient.
Note: I'm relaying responses back from another coder, so consider me an annoying middleman I guess.
Sundance Wrote:Real mature.

Wow, you are honestly going to get pissy about a joke so prevalent we have a smiley for it and a website whose sole purpose is to make image macros for it?

Sounds like you can't Don't be a drama queen
Sundance Wrote:Another thing that I totally forgotten is the fact when you strip someone, the derringer just falls out on the floor, which is also lame as hell. The derringer should stick to the clothing and should only be brought out by the message. This way you could bring a derringer into jail with you.

I think this is just as important as being able to draw it. This alone would make the derringer A LOT more useful, plus it would be the pinnacle of cool to robust some officers with your derringer when they come into your cell. Shit I would get myself arrested on purpose if this was a thing.
Here, enjoy some new hotkeys.

[Image: n7Lo6Ui.png]