Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the Derringer SHOULD work.

The derringer is a surprise weapon, something that should be drawn without pause, like shown wonderfully in this django unchained scene. Currently it doesn't do this, you have to type *wink to activate it. This is pretty damn lame because
A) You have to physically type it in, which completely ruins the whole purpose of the weapon.
B) You could have *wink typed in beforehand and simply hit enter, but this means you sacrifice the opportunity of speaking
C) The whole *wink situation has become pretty meta, anyone seen winking is immediately looked at, and lone behold, the person that winked is holding a derringer.

Here's two easy fixes that will buff the derringer and will make it FAR more useful and opted for. The first fix is to change how the derringer is activated into your hand, the second fix is tied to the first due to the fact *wink is no longer a thing.
1: The derringer can now be activated with the active hand shortcut [Middle mouse click/Page up]
No more typing. Quick, 1 click of a button, bam you have a gun in the hand that you switched to. This obviously sacrifices the ability to quick switch hands when you have a derringer hidden, but this is moot seen as the benefits of this far outweighs the sacrifice. Now comes situations where you can say "Fuck you" and immediately robust them with the derringer.
2: Drawing the derringer makes an ejecting sound, but does not appear on the chatlog
Similar to the link, drawing the derringer makes a noise like ejecting a tape (or derringer for that matter). This is due to the fact that *wink is no longer a thing. This way when you enter a room and draw a derringer, people won't see a chatlog message but will hear the sound, at least giving them some form of warning.
I like this a lot better, the wink was incredibly annoying and not to mention unrealistic. Although having somethings unrealistic is a good thing, this on the other hand is not. I like the new idea!
I like this idea too, but isn't middle click switch which hand you are currently using??
Instead of overriding the function of a hotkey, an 'equip derringer' verb could be added to the 'Commands' tab or something like that. I think that not being able to switch hands quickly would be too much of a downgrade to make the derringer worth carrying around (for those who use the hotkey).
Zadeon Wrote:I like this idea too, but isn't middle click switch which hand you are currently using??
Not trying to be impudent but I already stated that this would sacrifice this option if you have a derringer equipped. So say your have a derringer concealed, and you are holding, lets say, a fire extinguisher in the left hand. You middle click, it switches hands, you hear a ejecting sound and in the right hand which you switched to is the derringer, KABLAMO.

Another benefit to this would be having two derringers attached (which is already an option) and you have two free hands. Left hand selected-- [middle click] --> Right hand selected now with derringer in hand --> BLAM BLAM --> [middle click] --> Left hand selected with the second derringer in hand --> BLAM BLAM
MyBlueCorners Wrote:Instead of overriding the function of a hotkey, an 'equip derringer' verb could be added to the 'Commands' tab or something like that. I think that not being able to switch hands quickly would be too much of a downgrade to make the derringer worth carrying around (for those who use the hotkey).

I've considered that, and unless that command has a hotkey function itself, then there's little point. Like I stated in the comment above, it has to really "flow" and the middle click/pageup option is the optimum choice as it switches automatically to the hand that you'll be firing with, that and you can do it twice if you bought 2. I don't think its "too much of a downgrade" and I use the hotkeys pretty exclusively.

Currently the derringer is "Well, I got 2 telecrystals left, and this shoots bullets, so I guess this will do" and is concealed at round start and often forgotten about.

My suggestion would be to make the derringer a more robust surprise. It should be concealed when the time is right, before you are about to assassinate someone.
i feel like a fair trade off would be to make it still require an emote, but make the emote either chooseable or be based off of where the derringer is hidden

hide it behind your sunglasses and you'd still wink it out, but hide it in your mask and you'll need to quite literally COUGH it up, or hide it in your jumpsuit and fart it out

you can copy and paste the emote for whipping it out nearly instantly, and it still gives attentive people something to notice without making it as obvious as the wink
If you make it a verb with a rather unique name you can use autocomplete super fast

Eg: x-tract-derringer could quickly be typed "x" "space" "enter"
Sundance Wrote:I've considered that, and unless that command has a hotkey function itself, then there's little point. Like I stated in the comment above, it has to really "flow" and the middle click/pageup option is the optimum choice as it switches automatically to the hand that you'll be firing with, that and you can do it twice if you bought 2. I don't think its "too much of a downgrade" and I use the hotkeys pretty exclusively.

What? This is stupid. If it becomes a command, you can just click it on the command page. It solves your problem, as you can type something out and click the button once you speak. There's no reason to make the derringer a hotkey if making it a button fixes the problem that you set out to solve. It's a simpler, more reasonable fix.
Why not just let people hide the derringer in their pocket.

You can fit an entire pipebomb rigged mousetrap in a pocket last I checked.

Hiding a tiny gun in your pocket won't be a problem.

Also if security is close enough and able to empty your pockets you've got more problems then them finding your derringer.
I...
I...

I agree.

Note, though, that if all 6 positional keys can be used as hotkeys, Insert is still unoccupied; while I understand why the MMB might be a comfortable choice, there will just be too many accidents from this. Alternatively, I'd suggest keeping everyone happy and adding a Toggle for MMB Derringer, when it's off, Page Up/MMB will switch hands only regardless of the amount of derringers hidden on you.
Quote:What? This is stupid. If it becomes a command, you can just click it on the command page. It solves your problem, as you can type something out and click the button once you speak. There's no reason to make the derringer a hotkey if making it a button fixes the problem that you set out to solve. It's a simpler, more reasonable fix.

Use the noggin you were born with son. Having it on the command page means you have your mouse scrolled over the right hand side of the screen, you click it, then you have to scroll your mouse back over to the left hand side. Like I said, no flow. And stop suggesting typing ANYTHING out, it makes it look like you've never used the derringer. If you have you'd realise typing anything for a quick trigger weapon is awful (A quick trigger weapon that you payed 2 telecrystals for and only has 2 shots I should add) Having it fit in a pocket like suggested would actually be better (although a bit redundant as the whole point of a derringer is being able to conceal then quick-draw it) as you don't have to scroll your mouse as much, only from your pocket to your target.

I think peeps are missing the point. Right now, the only advantage of a derringer is you can conceal it. Good luck quick drawing it. This fix would make it exactly how it should function, drawing a gun asap.
If you have it as a hotkey, you can have your mouse scrolled over your unsuspecting target, hit a hotkey to draw it, and bam you've shot him in his stupid face in one quick movement.

Marquesas Wrote:I...
I...

I agree.

Note, though, that if all 6 positional keys can be used as hotkeys, Insert is still unoccupied; while I understand why the MMB might be a comfortable choice, there will just be too many accidents from this. Alternatively, I'd suggest keeping everyone happy and adding a Toggle for MMB Derringer, when it's off, Page Up/MMB will switch hands only regardless of the amount of derringers hidden on you.

The person who I thought wouldn't completely gets it, a pleasant surprise. The middle mouse click is totally a comfortable choice, although I could imagine many (albeit hilarious) accidental quick draws.. So toggled off middle mouse doesn't activate it, toggle on, middle mouse does? Adding a toggle in the command would be a smart fix.
Maybe just add a HUD button, like the Police Siren when you're on a Segway. You still have to mouse over to it but it's in the game area, at least.
It will fit in pockets now.
I don't see much need for any other commands - if you want a silent retrieval, just keep it in a pocket. If you want to stash it somewhere else, use *wink.

*wink is mostly for panache anyways.
Sundance Wrote:Having it on the command page means you have your mouse scrolled over the right hand side of the screen, you click it, then you have to scroll your mouse back over to the left hand side. Like I said, no flow.

Man, if moving the mouse a few inches to the right, and then a few inches back to the left throws you off, you must be the most unrobust person on the server.

I like the idea of pocketing derringers. I honestly thought that was already a thing you could do, it adds a bit more versatility to the weapon. There's still nothing that beats winking at someone and pulling a gun out of the butt on your head, though. Style trumps functionality. v