Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Thoughts on Realistic changes and lack of communication from Coders on Big Changes
Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it!
This thread should be seen as a side discussion to the thread linked above.

So I don't really know how to word or present this topic to you the Community and Administration. It may be a mess and I'm sorry in advance because of it. This is also going to be very opinionated but also concerns I have myself.

I want to hear thoughts on everyone's feelings regarding realism, it's place on our sever and how far it should be taken.

Let me just make my opinion clear as day. If we get more realism changes like the one we just got yesterday it will lead to the undoing of this server. I think we can all agree we all want changes that are fun. A Bad idea is a bad idea even if you try your hardest to make it playable it may not be enjoyable and that issue will never change when the base of the idea is centered around forcing us to use things we never needed or asked for.

I've said countless times that realism has it's place in this game if it's fun and not annoying or makes the game worse. A good example of a realistic addition to the game in my opinion is the blood system. That added in some realism without taking anything away. That's super important for changes with realism as a goal. They should take very little to nothing from the game while adding to it if not you risk bringing the game down because of it. Most importantly no change realistic in nature or not should not force every single player to use items they never needed before or force drastic change in their playstyle.

A example of a mixed bag realism change is the new lighting and darkness we have now. Granted I did not care for it at first and I still don't but all issues I have with it can be fixed if flashlights received a tiny buff to make them slightly brighter. Other then I see the pros over the cons with the change despite how I feel about it I see what it adds to the game and can enjoy it. The suspense of chasing a traitor though a dark tunnel not knowing how far he is ahead of you or if he is planning a ambush can't be matched.

Now for the next topic and harder one to convey properly currently.

I'm asking yet again that more effort goes into discussion over big gameplay changes with the community before they get added into the game. I am fine if the coder with the idea for a huge change will add it in regardless but having some people give them good feedback and foresight before they add it in can only be a good thing for players and coders. We get a heads up and Coders get tons of feedback good or bad and they can take the time to use that feedback to give a change a good start with good performance. You can't tell me that would be a bad thing. Having things added in with our limited feedback before hand would make performance better, tweaking easier and make some players less angry and annoyed over it. I see it as far better then having it added in broken and not having fun for a few days till it is made somewhat playable.

Now I have noticed that ZeWaka has done that recently where he discussed changes to Meson Goggles be it a little change for one item but he still deserves a thank you for discussing it with the players anyway as for such alittle change he could have said nothing. Little changes I have no issues if they give us a heads up but for big changes I think it should at least be attempted. EDIT: This goes for Nerfs as well that have huge implications for the game and it's players.
Meson Goggles: To change, or not to change?

Now I will repost in quotes points I made in the other thread for the hell of it.
(02-13-2017, 01:32 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: I really, really wish coders would talk with us on big changes they have planned before throwing them in without much thought. They added this in after changing three lines of code. That right there shows how much they thought about it. We could give feedback and add our thoughts to the idea so their ideas and changes are better integrated into the game at the start instead of having it start off awful and slowly get better.

I mean the idea forums are there for that purpose. We throw out our ideas in there in hopes of getting a coder to work on it, but we would love to talk to coders who are going to try something out even if it's not a user idea. Please discuss your ideas with us even if you already know you will add it to the game just to see how it pans out. It could get a better start and perform much better at release.

(02-13-2017, 03:02 AM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(02-13-2017, 12:19 AM)Zafhset Wrote: I think there needs to be more discussion on how this benefits gameplay before moving towards accommodating its implementation.

I Agree with this statement.

(02-13-2017, 02:57 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: To be honest, if there was some kind of place where coders were supposed to tell us what they're working on before they do anything, you'd probably end up with too many people trying to tell them how they should do it or that the idea was bad in general. It would be very disheartening

It's better this way, where they can work in peace, drop in their work, and then get the feedback based on actual game play

Those people would make little difference in the grand scheme of things as when a coder wants to do something they do it, and I'd think they'd get good feedback before and after they add it into the game. Hindsight is 20/20 after all. It would be great if hindsight could be avoided altogether.

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts on Realistic changes and lack of communication from Coders on Big Changes - by Ed Venture - 02-13-2017, 07:16 PM