Poll: Which would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Remove them.
8.33%
3 8.33%
Keep them the way they are.
2.78%
1 2.78%
Make the tiles that you can't see brighter, with the downside.
88.89%
32 88.89%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Meson Goggles: To change, or not to change?
So, if you've played engineer or worn mesons recently, you might've noticed they are completely broken.

Now, the problem is with the way our new new lighting works is that, well, we can't have the old functionality.
You can sorta see the turfs outside your view, but they are almost completely pitch black!
So, let's decide what mesons should be!

There are only 3 real  options:
  1. Remove them.
  2. Keep them the way they are. (Image)
  3. Make the tiles that you can't see brighter at the cost of making all darkness brighter. (It could range from Image to Image)
  4. Make them fullbright. (Image)

Keep in mind a few points that were raised to me:
  • Flashes could be buffed against mesons, however that will mean nothing if you are being killed in the dark from a mile away.
  • The lack of darkness or the diminishing of darkness might have everyone rush to mesons, making them similar to sunglasses these days.

edit: no this is not all lighting, just mesons!!!
I vote 5 auto blinding light I Vote for 3 since they are almost usless right now and need a decent buff.
Wait, does option 3 affect ALL lighting across the entire game, or does it just affect the lighting of the view of the player through meson goggles?
I don't know what was so wrong with the last lighting system that we've had to change to something that makes meson behaviour impossible but what the hell do I know.

I vote 3 because the darkness has gone from atmospheric to unplayable in some places. I just want to be able to see where I'm going in asteroids again, even if I have to steal mesons to do it.
(01-22-2017, 07:26 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Wait, does option 3 affect ALL lighting across the entire game, or does it just affect the lighting of the view of the player through meson goggles?

Just when you are wearing goggles.

(01-22-2017, 07:32 PM)Cirrial Wrote: I don't know what was so wrong with the last lighting system that we've had to change to something that makes meson behaviour impossible but what the hell do I know.

We switched to plane-based lighting. So it's like... tobbalights 3?
Number 3

ZeWaka Edit: there is a poll :P
How is number 3 a downside, you can just see more in the dark overall?
(01-22-2017, 08:29 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: How is number 3 a downside, you can just see more in the dark overall?

You are able to see through the general darkness to the degree of how much you see through the darkness on the tiles you cannot see, yes.
It's also been told to me that this might incite powergamers to always pick up this so they can shoot you with guns down dark hallways, when you can't even see them.

(01-22-2017, 07:32 PM)Cirrial Wrote: I just want to be able to see where I'm going in asteroids again, even if I have to steal mesons to do it.

This is a bug with asteroid lighting. I spent a few hours trying to fix it a few months back, but I'll look into it again maybe soon.
Would making it so light sources are overwhelmingly bright and washed out be possible? So you could blind someone wearing them in the dark with light?
(01-22-2017, 09:27 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Would making it so light sources are overwhelmingly bright and washed out be possible? So you could blind someone wearing them in the dark with light?

I looked into this and found two pretty hillarious options that you could do for this.

Addition Photo 1 & 2 (The bright light at the end of the hall is a flashlight)
[Image: A8yDHCM.png]
[Image: 2Wm3UYb.png]

Subtract Photo 1 & 2 (The bright light at the end of the hall is a flashlight)
[Image: PqosEYq.png]
[Image: DlkSkjS.png]

I can make subtract all around more darker and same for addition
This one is the best this one is second best. And that nerf sucks because mesons are simply being fixed, not actually buffed (they used to be way stronger anyways).
(01-22-2017, 09:45 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(01-22-2017, 09:27 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Would making it so light sources are overwhelmingly bright and washed out be possible? So you could blind someone wearing them in the dark with light?

I looked into this and found two pretty hillarious options that you could do for this.

Addition Photo 1 & 2 (The bright light at the end of the hall is a flashlight)
[Image: A8yDHCM.png]
[Image: 2Wm3UYb.png]

Subtract Photo 1 & 2 (The bright light at the end of the hall is a flashlight)
[Image: PqosEYq.png]
[Image: DlkSkjS.png]

I can make subtract all around more darker and same for addition
thats why i found a pile of your gibs and a flashlight in maint last round
The only reason I used mesons was a) so I could shoot flame into a blob further, or b) to artifact-teleport to places more freely. Otherwise I never wore them because they were disorienting and ugly on my nerd face.

Question: Would it be possible to make underfloor items (wires, tubes, etc) visible to meson wearers? #3 makes me feel like I'll never be able to latejoin into engineering because everyone wanted mesons, gloves, magboots, and a coat. Heck, even the guaranteed emergency internals is nice.
I voted three. On the topic of buffing flashes versus Mesons, maybe give them that hilarious effect the night-vision goggles have where just using a flash (activating it in your hand to flash everyone around you) blinds and stuns the poor bastard with the night-vision goggles.
What is the difference between 'Option 3 Mesons' and thermo-vision Goggles (or night-vision goggles, what you call em)?
Just the see-through-cloak thing?

Edit: Had another look at the images, I get it now. Meson-3 is closer to the original function of mesons, to see construction through construction.
But now I don't understand the dichotomy; Why do the new mesons need a nerf?
Didn't old mesons have the exact same practical effect of allowing you to look through walls, only at other walls/floors?

Edit2: More looking, more understanding. Yes I see the advantage you would have with the new mesons against someone without them.
Now for some actual contribution:
What about this for a downside?: objects and people beyond a 3-tile radius are invisible, just like the are not visible through walls.

Edit3: I've made a mock-up to better illutstate the idea: Image.