Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
engineering dept change ideas
as always, a discord conversation became larger and longer than the channel could reasonably document for Posterity, so this thread is to aggregate some ideas we (collective, whether you were in that discord conversation or not!) would want to float about how to give the role of engineer more to do, how to give the department of engineering more depth, and how to expand or implement new mechanics related to those goals.

i'll update with some old thread links to things we brought up again;

ideas:

small, short-term things:

one idea was that some roles might need consolidation and the prime ones to consider would be consolidating construction worker into engineer or mechanic into engineer.
more construction spots on different stations so people have more space within the bounds of the actual station itself to work with and dont have to rely on having externals and whatnot to build something new?

bigger picture things:

another idea was reworking the depth and structure of construction to be more of a contractor-type role with two or three people working cooperatively on projects and maybe adding some cool mechanics to the game like wallpaper. this might be cool to work in with concrete stuff too, once that gets sorted. this idea is 100% not mine and originally from Frank Stein on the cworker-rebalancing/rework thread! 
one related idea is "i think probably the biggest question is how to appropriately lock the rcdd or its features in a way that accessible to at least one other Not A CE Mysterious happenings! cause CE rushing both RCDs then like. changing laws and Destroying AI upload sucks and with no one else able to undo that it sucks More since im not fond of hitting 2k health off a door". DataErr0r suggested a head-locked QM crate with this, or perhaps a head-locked QM crate with an RCD while the RCDD became the CE's version of the RCD?

last idea i have to offer for now would be a very basic rework of loot and drop rates in the asteroid belt to encourage more off-station and non-magnet mining and change up gameplay and round routines for miners. we have a ton of cool prefabs out in space already, we just need some more incentive for non-traitor miners to head out there, and potentially more/better ore drops would be a good way to encourage that?
--
another one about borg part armor; maybe a tie-in to robotics that doesnt take away from medical utility of borging is good? okay i also just had this idea and this is a personal interest and Very Poorly (!) fleshed out b/c i dunno what i'm doing but i also really like the idea of a geodetic survey mission or something of the sort to a planet surface to work on mapping type things. i think this could be a REALLY cool way to move forward some other ideas people bounced around about station-wide type missions for the rp servers, and could maybe also utilize some of the neat stuff Sov's been doing with generated terrains? and maybe it would have a fun tie-in to ranching or something where you could fish there for different kinds of fishes not available on the normal station z level. it could also potentially hopefully maybe revive the NSS Artemis project Urs started or be a totally different system but one that compliments it and expands great exploration potential. also atlas is a cool map, maybe it could be implied these are the types of places atlas seeks to chart? who knows! i don't!
-----

all thoughts welcome. this thread post is still a wip, so i'll have some more edits here and share subsequent ideas later!

a total sidenote, but wiki love for the engi department is also Very Good! potentially moving the TEG stuff to its own page and giving a brief summary of each of the gases and what they do in a burn might be handy! that way people can know the basics and start the engine without spoiling the work of optimization! just a simple table with the gases on the main teg page since currently there's a separate gas page that lists very basic descriptions of them but not always how they interact in an engine; and i usually only remember/find this page when im stumbling around in the toxins part of the wiki vs. engineering

Messages In This Thread
engineering dept change ideas - by nefarious6th - 02-16-2021, 12:37 AM
RE: engineering dept change ideas - by Splints - 02-16-2021, 04:30 AM
RE: engineering dept change ideas - by Leeanei - 02-16-2021, 12:17 PM
RE: engineering dept change ideas - by Drago156 - 02-17-2021, 08:41 PM
RE: engineering dept change ideas - by Azrun - 02-20-2021, 10:00 PM
RE: engineering dept change ideas - by Caro - 02-21-2021, 06:27 AM
RE: engineering dept change ideas - by babayetu83 - 04-28-2021, 06:16 PM