Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Genetics changes departments to science.
have it so the genetics research part is its on room located between research and meadbay and have it be accessible by both med and sci people
(11-10-2017, 11:11 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: If they did end up in Research, only the mutation part should end up there. The cloning stuff should stay in medical, because that's where dead and soon to be dead people tend to end up

(11-09-2017, 09:38 PM)Technature Wrote: So what does everyone think of Changing Genetics department to science and leave the cloning to the medical staff?
(11-09-2017, 09:38 PM)Technature Wrote: So what does everyone think of Changing Genetics department to science and leave the cloning to the medical staff?
What exactly is the problem of leaving 'Genetics Research' in the medical sector?

(11-09-2017, 09:38 PM)Technature Wrote: The issue is that I don't think 99% of geneticist actually (research genes and clone people).
In my experience, geneticist are one of the few people who are likely to stay at their workstation, nerding out.
And anybody with medbay access (legal or otherwise) can use the cloner.
So moving their lab would, if anything, reduce the number of Cloner-attendants.

As for 'geNerds need to get out more', I too have been a fan of 'gatherers garden'-type solution.
The problem isn't that they're not there to clone people. They pretty much always are. It's the fact that despite the fact that they're there, they don't actually clone people if someone doesn't tell them to. The people that use the cloner are the people that bring bodies in. If you scan yourself for insurance, pretty much no one actually goes out of their way to do that part, including the people who get the message that you just died (which include the at their work station geneticists).

On the other hand, I notice that science is rather sparse population wise compared to other departments. I just thought of this cause I felt that medbay wouldn't suffer from the loss of two people that don't do one of the things they really could be doing.
I never thought of Cloning as a Geneticist thing. Sure, its right next to their secluded hut and feels all geneticky, but the purpose of the cloner is to heal dead people, not modify them. I've always seen the Cloner as part of Medbay, the 'Med' part of Medbay. The only relation between Geneticists and the Cloner that I've seen is that they're kinda close to it most of the time.
(11-11-2017, 10:50 AM)Technature Wrote: On the other hand, I notice that science is rather sparse population wise compared to other departments.

So the problem is 'a lack of people in the science lab', so that there is some level of supervision on that department.
I agree that the lack of supervision in the Labs is a problem, but previous suggested solution to grant the guards access was shut down with 'stop being anti-fun, bombing is always fun for the people who die'.

I agree that having the mostly sedentary geneticists to stand watch would help a bit. But at the same time, adding genetics to the mix of turbo-nerdy that is the science department, would probably just result in hulked-out madman with super-stimulants, adventure-gear and max-cap bombs having a deathmatch in there.

Edit: I realize I made a bit of a leap in logic there. I suppose there are other reasons to keep a department staffed beyond those serving my visions of a fascist utopia.
(11-12-2017, 04:06 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(11-11-2017, 10:50 AM)Technature Wrote: On the other hand, I notice that science is rather sparse population wise compared to other departments.

So the problem is 'a lack of people in the science lab', so that there is some level of supervision on that department.
I agree that the lack of supervision in the Labs is a problem, but previous suggested solution to grant the guards access was shut down with 'stop being anti-fun, bombing is always fun for the people who die'.

I agree that having the mostly sedentary geneticists to stand watch would help a bit. But at the same time, adding genetics to the mix of turbo-nerdy that is the science department, would probably just result in hulked-out madman with super-stimulants, adventure-gear and max-cap bombs having a deathmatch in there.

Edit: I realize I made a bit of a leap in logic there. I suppose there are other reasons to keep a department staffed beyond those serving my visions of a fascist utopia.
i disagree, in general genetics is a massive time sink, which is why they are so sedentary, for the geneticists, any geneticist putting in the time to become a hulk won’t have time to do all the other science things you mentioned until late in the round
Some thoughts...

I don't know how map-making for BYOND works, but it seems like a decent amount of work to move a department for questionable gain. Like, what is the ADVANTAGE of moving genetics? What is lost by having them sitting there by the cloner, whether they do any cloning or not?

Also, medical doctor is, IME, one of the least-chosen jobs (shout-outs to Listel and Camilla who are both pros, though). Having genetics in the med-wing is 0-2 more people with access to the pharmacy and OR, or even just able to let people in to the cloner. Again, regardless of whether they DO it or not, is it worth anything to remove that potential?

Basically, I don't understand what is GAINED by moving genetics to research. What would it improve?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Make it a thread (Custom Vending Machines)
Unpopular opinion but give cloning back to being primarily geneticists, give them incentives to do it, and also use the already existent possibility of flawed cloning as a reason why they are incentivized. Cloning with geneticists doing their goddamn job gives them the same benefit as an activator or two being thrown in the computer, and is flawless cloning. Cloning without the geneticists doing their goddamned job leads to flawed clones and no benefit to the geneticists.
Cloning could be a really good way to activate and research genes without doing a whole lot of work
How about it fully researches all of the genes and puts them in a separate slot to be pulled from later for activators and injectors BUT requires the body to be grinded and (if you're not a traitor) cloned, scrambling the genes of the new body (Doesn't work with monkeys or clones)
I get the feeling that if doing genetics wasn't so tedious or luck dependent, people wouldn't stay the whole round on the computer.

Once the computer has a good amount of upgrades it snowballs into becoming almost too easy (yet still luck based), but the most annoying part is to get it going in the first place. You need to stay on the computer for at least half the round because otherwise you can't do what you're trying to do before the round ends, unless luck is on your side.

You constantly keep an eye on cooldowns to try to do things efficiently and get what you want in a reasonable amount of time. You keep an eye on materials. When there's two geneticists it's better but you still share the same materials pool and getting started is just as tedious, as both geneticists deplete their materials in no time.

There's NO incentive for geneticists to go out of their way to clone people.

You can get some neat genes easily, but you don't get to choose them, so if you're aiming for a specific set of genes it's pointless.
There's genes combinations which can help, but you have to keep an eye on every gene you encounter, keep an eye on some list of combinations to make sure you're not discarding any potentially useful gene, keep an eye on materials that the other geneticist just keep draining because he needs them too, and you should keep an eye on whether there are idle doctors available somewhere in medbay to clone dead bodies ?

A few easy quality of life improvements could be made, for instance the gene checker, there's no incentive to use it. Actually, there's a little incentive to use them, just little, the cooldown activator generation, yet it suffer from another cooldown and the fact that you need a few tries to get results. An improvement could be that if some codon pair is say T - A and you check for A - T, the computer displays that they're in reverse order. Just that would make a great improvement and would probably make people use it much more, as they give no rewards like using activators do.

And for placement, the fact that they're semi-isolated from the rest of the station doesn't help. If, say, robotics and genetics were swapped (with some other changes due to the size difference of their rooms), genetic research would more often do something else, as they would get in trouble more often. Robotics would continue to be used as it is right now as it's directly useful to the crew, and genetics would get more trouble/trafic. It would recquire a few quality of life improvements to compensate for the extra trouble.

I feel like putting a slow paced and calm department away from the rest of the station will only make it even less useful than it already is. When people go to medbay for one reason, they sometimes drop by to get a few bonus genes from genetics. Who would even bother getting to, say, where the artlab is, to ask for genes when they're not even sure they'll get something even remotely useful to them ?
IDEA!

What if genetics got materials via the clone machine somehow? What if each use of the cloner generated roughly 20 materials?

I was thinking the reclaimer first since it makes more sense but I almost immediately realized that you could just beat the shit out of monkies and jam them in it.

Also, would it be possible to move genetics between science and medbay? They tend to be next to each other on the maps, so people getting out of their way to get genes while at medbay would still be a thing.
What if we just combined the cloner with the genetics scanner? Like if it was a dual purpose machine? While someone's cloning your materials regen rate was at least 3x the normal speed. Getting a body cloned would be a great windfall to the whole unlocking process