Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Genetics changes departments to science.
So I was thinking for a while that Science people have not much to work with when you look at it.  Now, the main things that genetics job description is researching genes and cloning people.

The issue is that I don't think 99% of genetics actually do that.

So what does everyone think of Changing Genetics department to science and leave the cloning to the medical staff?

(I know some map editing would need to be done.  I'd like to focus on the basic concept for now.)
fuck genetics get them away from medical

(I wouldn't mind)
yeah all geneticists are douchebags and dont clone people
Moving genetics to research changes nothing aside from removing two people with medical access and bloating the research wing even more. It's already weird how medical's access is segmented, while research's isn't.

If we have a problem with geneticists huddling in front of their consoles all round then changing how genetics works is all you got.
donut 2 already has this which i think is interesting
(11-10-2017, 01:21 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: donut 2 already has this which i think is interesting

It’s Pathology in the research wing/sat of Donut 2, not genetics. Genetics isn’t part of medical proper though, they have their own tiny department slightly down the hallway.

If genetics was shifted to research, would ‘geneticists’ as a job still exist or would they just be scientists? Scientists are already a pretty highly contested job most of the time, I feel like this might exacerbate the issue.

Also geneticists haven’t been in charge of cloning for a long time, ever since the cloner was moved out of genetics and into medbay proper.
(11-10-2017, 01:19 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Moving genetics to research changes nothing aside from removing two people with medical access and bloating the research wing even more. It's already weird how medical's access is segmented, while research's isn't.

If we have a problem with geneticists huddling in front of their consoles all round then changing how genetics works is all you got.

It's less "Get geneticists to do things" and more "place them in a place that makes more sense for what they do".
Also gives the Research director a few more people to work with.  Also.
Quote:Moving genetics to research changes nothing aside from removing two people with medical access and bloating the research wing even more.
Quote:(I know some map editing would need to be done.  I'd like to focus on the basic concept for now.)

(11-10-2017, 01:32 AM)Roomba Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 01:21 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: donut 2 already has this which i think is interesting

It’s Pathology in the research wing/sat of Donut 2, not genetics. Genetics isn’t part of medical proper though, they have their own tiny department slightly down the hallway.

If genetics was shifted to research, would ‘geneticists’ as a job still exist or would they just be scientists? Scientists are already a pretty highly contested job most of the time, I feel like this might exacerbate the issue.

Also geneticists haven’t been in charge of cloning for a long time, ever since the cloner was moved out of genetics and into medbay proper.

I was thinking just moving genetics to the science department as simple as possible.  The only real access change I would think of is Geneticists don't have medical access and have basic science access (you know, what security has).  Scientists would just have a room they can't get into without permission or breaking in, and the research director and medical director's access would be changed accordingly.
---
I know geneticists technically don't have cloning in their job description, but they're pretty much always there.  Once someone gets scanned, they're the most convenient to go over, check for a name, and clone if they can, considering literally the rest of medical staff can easily be too busy doing something else.  Not to mention down time in genetics is pretty normal, so even if they don't do it right away, they can just wait for a convenient time to do it. So it's kind of annoying when I keep spinning their chairs to the cloner and their reaction is to close the chairs.

I presume it's the only reason they're part of Medical and have a medical PDA at this point.
I always see the med-bay as more of a medical sciences bay, where things related to the human body are researched. Geneticists theoretically could also cure mutations, and research them.

(11-10-2017, 01:19 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Moving genetics to research changes nothing aside from removing two people with medical access and bloating the research wing even more.
In my opinion, medical research absolutely belongs in medbay; it means people have a reason to go there outside of "I attacked a monkey and it beat my head in with a toolbox" and "I harmbattoned a traitor to death and his microbomb implant blew my arms off".

Research already has plenty of cool toys to play with (telescience, artlab, toxins, chemistry) without getting another.

If the argument is "geneticists just sit in their lab all round" the problem is with that rather than with the physical location of the department.
Keep the Geneticists in medbay, but give their access to the cloning pod to the medical doctors as well. This will let the doctors flash-clone people by dumping people out of the pod early and using meds to bring them to full.
(11-10-2017, 08:43 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: Keep the Geneticists in medbay, but give their access to the cloning pod to the medical doctors as well. This will let the doctors flash-clone people by dumping people out of the pod early and using meds to bring them to full.

If they have the bad clone body they would need genetic access as well to fix them
If they did end up in Research, only the mutation part should end up there. The cloning stuff should stay in medical, because that's where dead and soon to be dead people tend to end up
Remove geneticists, make genetics general medbay access.

Reduce the cost of research, research time and cooldowns so geneticists don't feel like they're wasting precious minutes cloning people. Both geneticists draw from the same material storage. It should just auto-buy the materials you need when you try to start research without the required amount.

Move pathology to the far right, swap genetics with surgery, add a front desk to leave injectors on.
(11-10-2017, 11:46 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Move pathology to the far right, swap genetics with surgery, add a front desk to leave injectors on.

Discussions of this should really be map-agnostic (i.e. general approaches, rather than specific to a particular map) so that we can apply the same broad-brush approach to all of them.

I suppose there's no real harm in having differing access for each map, but consistency is good and causes less confusion.
(11-10-2017, 11:46 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Remove geneticists, make genetics general medbay access.

Reduce the cost of research, research time and cooldowns so geneticists don't feel like they're wasting precious minutes cloning people. Both geneticists draw from the same material storage. It should just auto-buy the materials you need when you try to start research without the required amount.

Move pathology to the far right, swap genetics with surgery, add a front desk to leave injectors on.

I still maintain that Geneticists should be able to fill a vending machine with injectors for people to buy.

But then, I think custom vending machines are the way of the future regardless.