Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I spy with my little eye
KikiMofo Wrote:I would just like to add to this that silenced revolvers are impossible except for the m1895 Nagant Revolver. The .38 would not be possible to use a suppressor on.
This is really depressing if the only reason you wouldn't want it in is because it doesn't make much sense from a real life perspective. I've already stated that the suppressor would reduce damage down to near nothing. Given that huge pitfall, the fact that it's the future and the fact the game uses nonsense physics, would it be really that stretch of the imagination to have a suppressor on a revolver? You tell me.

Firepower Wrote:Also make it so that when you're actually using the camera monitor computers the menu doesn't reset every time you click on a camera
I honestly thought they fixed this with the new iteration of the camera system?

Roomba Wrote:Stuff.

Yeah i'm not too sure quilty's concerns are justified. Like you said AI's can do it anyway in a click of a button. It would be awkward for the AI to do it through my proposed set up, as he'll have to swoosh over to security, click on the cameras, then find the officer on the list.

Your concern is a fair point. Maybe switching to AI's network is a bit too lazy. I didn't really think about it as means of spying on the AI but seeing what he's seeing could severely weaken AI's powers.
My reasoning was for "automatic feed", so instead of clicking multiple buttons , you'd have one camera system (the ai's) to give you out a multiple feed.
Perhaps it could be done this way? Have automatic feeds of various departments, lets say "medical feed"; would switch around the cameras at medical every 10 seconds, by clicking you can stop it from switching, similar to how security cameras work irl.

Frank_Stein Wrote:Stuff
Some really interesting points there, although i'll have to agree to disagree about the camera sunglasses, as I do believe this WOULD act as a massive incentive to have one guy at the shots. The problem is, with those systems, is time and effeciency. What would be quicker, asking the officer to open a door, or PDA messaging the AI? It needs to be more fleshed out.
Sundance Wrote:Have automatic feeds of various departments, lets say "medical feed"; would switch around the cameras at medical every 10 seconds, by clicking you can stop it from switching, similar to how security cameras work irl.
I love this idea because navigating through the massive list of cameras is a pain. This would greatly simply that.

The door opening thing was meant as a kind of redundant system for dealing with dead, absent, or rogue AIs. I think it would be neat if they could also lock down area to contain a threat until security gets in place, though this would need to be limited to maybe one area at a time.

Tie the door opening/lock down and securitron control system into the security camera controls with area feeds and I can see a good and fun reason to stay at the console.
these are neat ideas. I really like the upgraded sunglasses idea. Also if your worries include the Ai going super cop then I hate to break it to you but AIs have nothing stopping them from being super cops as is and these ideas would change very little when it comes to that.
KikiMofo Wrote:
Ed Venture Wrote:
KikiMofo Wrote:I would just like to add to this that silenced revolvers are impossible except for the m1895 Nagant Revolver. The .38 would not be possible to use a suppressor on.
Maybe in the present but in space future who knows how far guns can go.
Not with the current sprite of the detective's .38. Take a good look at it and think about how guns work and what makes noise on them and then tell me why a suppressor on the end of the barrel wouldn't suppress it. Anyway yeah I know what you mean, more silenced guns might be fun.

after having done this, it's even more hilarious because you're attaching a silencer for no reason at all except to shoot fancier bullets
I say just give the Detective a fancy new gun designed to look like a traditional revolver, but accepts a universal ammo and switches between firing modes, with the sound dependent on the type.

I don't wanna have to juggle 5 or so different ammunition types, attaching and detaching a silencer, as well as all the other gear a detective has.
Sundance Wrote:This is really depressing if the only reason you wouldn't want it in is because it doesn't make much sense from a real life perspective. I've already stated that the suppressor would reduce damage down to near nothing. Given that huge pitfall, the fact that it's the future and the fact the game uses nonsense physics, would it be really that stretch of the imagination to have a suppressor on a revolver? You tell me.
FUTURE TECH DOESN'T WORK WHEN THE GUN IS A CLASSIC .38 DETECTIVES REVOLVER AND WHY WOULD A SUPPRESSOR ON A REVOLVER REDUCE THE DAMAGE FROM IT? LEARN THE BASICS ABOUT GUNS. YOU WANNA FIGHT ABOUT GUNS I'LL FIGHT ABOUT GUNS.

Guns are serious business but serious though if the detective is a fedora wearing classic 50s detective with a .38 a silencer wouldn't really fit even in the future. If you want a silenced revolver we could just give it to traitor revolvers. I don't really care what we do with those.
The cartridge is actually propelled by a sorium/voltagen compound. Upon activation of each bullet the cylinder makes a seal via forcefield generator hidden in the grip. When fired, the bullets travel at about the speed of a laser pulse which obviously means it uses subsonic round. We hear the bang because the bullets are still physical when they cross the fart barrier, so the cheese gets cut finely for all to hear.

I see no problem in attaching a suppressor to the detective's revolver.
For the record, as of the last time Cogmap2 was put on public testing, the camera menu does not reset upon switching, and you don't even have to select the camera and then click OK every time. Just click on the name, bam, camera switch. Click on another name, bam, camera switch. It's loads easier.

Now, as for the ideas proposed in this thread, I'm going to echo the same sentiments about the camera-sunglasses. They let the security department organize themselves a bit earlier, lets them (in)validate accusations of shittery much more easily. I'm not entirely positive about the idea of having the sunglasses double as camera-eyes, though, since there's actually already an item (the camera monitor, the detective spawns with one) that already lets you do that. Sticking it onto the sunglasses seems redundant, and it also means that there's quite a helluva lot of gadgets on one pair of shades.

Also, I think that the detective should have some manner of non-bullet bug he can discreetly plant onto people a la sleepy pens, or maybe give him a special radio that can be placed in his hat or in pockets or what have you with a similar function. As an AI who makes frequent use of the station intercoms at every opportunity, being able to pick up on what doesn't get put on the radio is a very valuable tool.

Frank_Stein's suggestion of a remote door control system when the AI's being useless is also excellent, or at the very least putting a security lockdown button a la the bridge. Seriously, you'd think that sec of all departments would have one of those.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:Also, I think that the detective should have some manner of non-bullet bug he can discreetly plant onto people a la sleepy pens, or maybe give him a special radio that can be placed in his hat or in pockets or what have you with a similar function. As an AI who makes frequent use of the station intercoms at every opportunity, being able to pick up on what doesn't get put on the radio is a very valuable tool.
I love the way the gold star stickers work, and a more subtle sprite for a bug that that can be applied the same way would be nice.

There should be a way to detect them, though. Maybe some kind of assembly using a radio that beeps the closer it gets to one?
Medical and/or forensic scanners should be able to find them, naturally. I also like the idea of being able to rig together an assembly to detect them, though I'm not sure how practical of an idea that is.

Perhaps there could be occasional messages about being itchy, or feeling like there's something crawling on you?
Sundance Wrote:
Firepower Wrote:Also make it so that when you're actually using the camera monitor computers the menu doesn't reset every time you click on a camera

Just checked moments ago on the server and this issue has not been fixed.
Firepower Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:

Just checked moments ago on the server and this issue has not been fixed.
That's because it isn't being implemented on the current servers; it's exclusive to the Cogmap2 servers.
i feel like the Camera equiped Sunglasses would be an great addition if it was combined with the camera viewing sunglasses. This balances both out so by using the camera viewer you open yourself to spying and if your using it for just for organization of security the viewer would be an great bonus

I also think the camera viewer sunglasses WOULD NOT make the detectives VR or camera viewers less important. All it would ever do is let security view a room before breaching it seeing how it's been suggested to have a small rane