Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I spy with my little eye
I have been throwing around ideas about spying and intelligence for the up and coming cogblap 2 electric bugaloo.
The aim for this thread is kind of to showcase various ways security can have a more connected group work ethic that's hardcoded rather than forced in an RP sense.

Sec-issued Sunglasses
Synopsis: Essentially camera sunglasses. These are the security equivalent of upgraded pro-docs. ALL security personnel (bar the detective, as he's clearly likes being neutral/off the grid) will spawn while wearing these upgraded sunglasses. All other sunglasses that lie around the station are not upgraded. The camera upgrade will now be available in the sec dispenser. Security now show up in the camera list, under name of the wearer. Can be removed with a screwdriver.
Reasoning: These aren't some supercop changes here. This will literally have no effect if there's not some person who chooses to remain static in security. This WILL make his job so so much easier, by being able to immediately switch to that sec players camera network for whatever reason may arise.
Fun: Imagine you're watching on the camera network, you spot someone approaching an officer and the BLAM camera feed lost. That would literally what would happen if a changeling attacks, melting off all the officers headgear. Also a corrupted AI could use it for his own benefit, security integrity would be compromised, meaning it would be wise to remove the camera from your shades to go off the grid.

Switch to AI camera network
Synopsis: I spy with my little AI. This means you are observing what the AI is observing.
Reasoning: CONVENIENCE. When you have someone going through the camera network, they're essentially just mashing buttons, going down the camera list. It's not removing this option, it's expanding upon the camera network so that you can use it in conjunction with the camera list. This is the lazy man's camera surfing, and given how the camera network is coded, it's needed.
Fun: A corrupted AI could easily counteract this by disabling security APC.

.38 Silencer
Synopsis: A silencer for the .38. Turns the loud BANGS into quiet .22 clicks. Can be attached to the revolver by simply clicking the revolver with it, removed by clicking the revolver in-hand. Silencing the .38 is not without it's pitfalls, it severely reduces all damage done by the .38 (brute, bleeding and stamina)
Reasoning: You might ask, why bother silencing the .38 if it reduces the damage so much? Unless, you don't actually want to harm or stun anyone by shooting. You may want to shoot it and be undetected (read: not cause hysteria with a loud BANG) for a DIFFERENT reason. See tech enhanced bullets below.
Fun: Perhaps a syndicate alternative to the .38 silencer is available for sale at the syndicate outpost that has no drawbacks?

Tech enhanced bullets
Synopsis: For the detectives revolver. Detective can now click the speed loader in-hand to eject the bullets so he can work with them individually. He can now attach 3 gizmo's to his bullets; GPS, a bug and a forensic implant. Shooting a target will embed the implant into them, which can be surgically removed with a scalpel to the chest. All devices show up in a medical scan.
GPS - implants a GPS unit. Target z-co-ordinates will now show up. It's up to the detective to decipher.
Covert Listening device - implants a bug. Targets speech will now show up in sec chatter, in a dark red color
Forensic Implant - implants a forensic implant. Targets forensic data will show up on the shooters chatbox, as if you scanned him with a forensic scanner. Essentially a long range forensic scan.
Reasoning: The reason you want a silencer attached to your gun. It's not a necessity however. Tech enhancing your bullets take time, ejecting the speedloader, attacking the gizmo to the bullet, putting the bullet back in the speedloader. It's also not guaranteed, if your target is moving you're likely to miss.
Fun: The aim of the silencer/tech enchanced bullets is to rejig the detectives revolver as not just a ol' school side-arm, but as a james bond-esque spy tool. It's a fun way to encourage the detective to actually do his job, by simply shooting his gun.
Sundance Wrote:Sec-issued Sunglasses
Synopsis: Essentially camera sunglasses.
Now these are a great idea! It makes an incentive of having one security guard manning the fort: watching general population, issuing citations, and otherwise working the desk while keeping an eye on those out in the field. (And in case of emergency, the only one left to deputize the greyshirts.)

Sundance Wrote:Switch to AI camera network
Synopsis:This means you are observing what the AI is observing.
This could be interesting. Probably more so for a head that can coordinate with the AI to help look for someone, but again, that requires sitting at the console to look it over.

Sundance Wrote:.38 Silencer
Synopsis: A silencer for the .38.

Tech enhanced bullets
GPS - implants a GPS unit. Target z-co-ordinates will now show up. It's up to the detective to decipher.
Covert Listening device - implants a bug. Targets speech will now show up in sec chatter, in a dark red color
Forensic Implant - implants a forensic implant. Targets forensic data will show up on the shooters chatbox, as if you scanned him with a forensic scanner. Essentially a long range forensic scan.
The most interesting of the lot by far, given that it'd give the bushes in and around the station a purpose for the station's only paid vigilante. A ranged fingerprint scan is a heck of a thing, as well as a bug that might work across the station. Maybe have it use the station bounced radios rather than relay all text into Sec chat proper? Got to hide in a bush or in an adjacent room to pick that thing up!
If the AI can see the sec officers w/ camera sunglasses, then please no.
quiltyquilty Wrote:If the AI can see the sec officers w/ camera sunglasses, then please no.

Why?

Unrelated to this comment, I would like to say I enjoy all of these proposed changes. Especially the fancy future tech bullet ideas. That would be a cool thing to have and it's a damn shame this spaceman game doesn't have more weird creative bullshit that rarely gets used but makes for cool scenarios when it is.

Security camera glasses don't seem overly necessary, but I don't see them being THAT useful, so they wouldn't be problematic as far as I can tell at a glance.
Houka Wrote:
quiltyquilty Wrote:If the AI can see the sec officers w/ camera sunglasses, then please no.

Security camera glasses don't seem overly necessary, but I don't see them being THAT useful, so they wouldn't be problematic as far as I can tell at a glance.

1. Removing the camera upgrade via screwdriver will stop the feed permanently, if you are paranoid that the AI is a bad person.
2. The usefulness of the camera sunglasses system is limited purely on the organisation of security itself. If a guy chooses to hang back and monitor things, then he can keep a watchful eye on his comrades, he could locate them if they are MIA if an assailant was lazy and didn't remove the sunglasses. It could also mean it'd be easier for a HoS or any other superior to keep a check on officers. Is one going around being a dork shooting random people with tasers? Check the camera's, yep he's an asshat.
I'm generally up for anything that gives more agency to secoffs. The game is far more fun with sec (non-shit) running around.

Unfortunately I'm a bit prone to forgetting game balance when faced with shinies (ooo, shinies!) so I'll leave the actual discussion on that topic to somebody who isn't as much of an idiot. Now excuse me while I go chase some butterflies.
I would just like to add to this that silenced revolvers are impossible except for the m1895 Nagant Revolver. The .38 would not be possible to use a suppressor on.
Also make it so that when you're actually using the camera monitor computers the menu doesn't reset every time you click on a camera. Makes actually using the damn things such a chore.
KikiMofo Wrote:I would just like to add to this that silenced revolvers are impossible except for the m1895 Nagant Revolver. The .38 would not be possible to use a suppressor on.
Maybe in the present but in space future who knows how far guns can go.
Firepower Wrote:Also make it so that when you're actually using the camera monitor computers the menu doesn't reset every time you click on a camera. Makes actually using the damn things such a chore.
Please this. I'm amazed that this still hasn't been resolved. This is just so insanely frustrating to deal with, and is why no one ever uses those camera terminals.
I'm not convinced the AI is a bad person, I'm convinced that the AI will supercop if he has eyes on every security officer ever and can lock down anyone who dares touch one.
Yes, it's not like the AI already has the capability to automatically zoom in on officers with the nearest camera when they yell for help.

Frankly I'm more concerned about the other way round. It's going to be real difficult for the AI to pull off anything secretive when every officer hooks themselves up to robochat and can check on what the AI is looking at whenever they feel like it.
Ed Venture Wrote:
KikiMofo Wrote:I would just like to add to this that silenced revolvers are impossible except for the m1895 Nagant Revolver. The .38 would not be possible to use a suppressor on.
Not with the current sprite of the detective's .38. Take a good look at it and think about how guns work and what makes noise on them and then tell me why a suppressor on the end of the barrel wouldn't suppress it. Anyway yeah I know what you mean, more silenced guns might be fun.
KikiMofo Wrote:
Ed Venture Wrote:
Not with the current sprite of the detective's .38. Take a good look at it and think about how guns work and what makes noise on them and then tell me why a suppressor on the end of the barrel wouldn't suppress it. Anyway yeah I know what you mean, more silenced guns might be fun.

Fair enough haha.
Personally, I'd rather Sec Glasses act as a camera viewer. Want to check out what's going on in the next room? Turn your glasses on and check it out. Balance it with a small range, and the fact that you'd be vulnerable while using it.

A concept I think that needs to be touched on more is the idea of having someone remaining at Sec providing support for people out on patrol. I think there needs to be more things there to make that worth it. A couple of ideas:

- A console that can open doors for getting officers in and out of areas when the AI is indisposed
- A communications console for monitoring individual radios/PDAs for messages
- A securitron command console for moving securitrons about the station and sending them to patrol and guard different areas