Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Securitron Modding
I'd like to up the ante.

Make securitrons have a "hand" slot, initially occupied by the stun baton, and an "intent" setting, initially on disarm. When unlocked, you may take the item and replace it with anything else if you so wish - if left empty, the securitron works as if it had an empty hand. The securitron will use the item on the specified intent during arrest on the target, then attempt to cuff them. This way, you can have a punchhappy, a stapling, a gun-crazed, a toolboxing beepsky running around the station being crazy. Of course there are more devious things this could do, and in some cases it could be utterly useless (beepsky analyzes your health with a health analyzer while trying to cuff you).

In addition, this would probably ease the effort rating of the implementation, as the existing attack functions could be used with practically 0 modification.
Marquesas Wrote:Make securitrons have a "hand" slot...

The downside to this is you can't give Securitrons a boxing glove.

While we're on this subject, Securitrons are weird. If you make more Securitrons, none of them will recognise criminals until Beepsky sees them, at which point all Securitrons will be able to recognise that criminal. It's like Beepsky is the only one equipped with a target recognition system.
Embolism Wrote:

The other downside to this is that you would have to sprite every single object the securitron is holding.

Quote:While we're on this subject, Securitrons are weird. If you make more Securitrons, none of them will recognise criminals until Beepsky sees them, at which point all Securitrons will be able to recognise that criminal. It's like Beepsky is the only one equipped with a target recognition system.
This is a big issue and should probably be fixed before any variations of securitrons are put in

I was also thinking a flashbang securitron that just lets the bang off in it's hand rather than throwing it, for crowd control.
If securitrons get a hand slot, the following balances should happen.

No guns, or at least no infinite ammo guns. Tasers being the exception.

Beepsky should not be able to generate ammo automagically with a revolver. Once the gun is empty gun securitron has to be reloaded like a floorbot.

Or perhaps no guns at all, If every round turns into a securitron with a riot shotgun roaming the halls being security's bounty hunter, that might not be good (Or really funny, assuming anyone can kill it fast enough to steal the riot shotgun/zip gun/whatever)
atomic1fire Wrote:zip gun

Beepsky with a zip gun... loaded with 40mm artillery shells.

"I AM THE LAW"
Embolism Wrote:

Fine. Even if you have to code a single exception (for boxing gloves) it's better than a lot of things.

Sundance Wrote:
Embolism Wrote:

The other downside to this is that you would have to sprite every single object the securitron is holding.

Eh, comes naturally that you wouldn't be able to think it through. Looking south, take the right hand sprite, rotate it by 90 degrees counter-clockwise and adjust it by roughly 5 pixels right and 5 pixels up. Cheap & easy with the client side icon ops. This should put most items in the right place. Yes it will look hilariously weird. Yes that is the goal.

atomic1fire Wrote:If securitrons get a hand slot, the following balances should happen.

No guns, or at least no infinite ammo guns. Tasers being the exception.

Beepsky should not be able to generate ammo automagically with a revolver. Once the gun is empty gun securitron has to be reloaded like a floorbot.

Or perhaps no guns at all, If every round turns into a securitron with a riot shotgun roaming the halls being security's bounty hunter, that might not be good (Or really funny, assuming anyone can kill it fast enough to steal the riot shotgun/zip gun/whatever)

Isn't this obvious? If it has a hand slot, the same rules apply to the item as if it was carried by a human, therefore the only way to give it an infinite ammo gun is if a traitor hands it an advanced laser gun. Zip gun is a single ammo thing and riot shotgun are you kidding me that's not even worse than being hit by a baton.

I do think you're overreacting.
Code:
Eh, comes naturally that you wouldn't be able to think it through. Looking south, take the right hand sprite, rotate it by 90 degrees counter-clockwise and adjust it by roughly 5 pixels right and 5 pixels up. Cheap & easy with the client side icon ops. This should put most items in the right place. Yes it will look hilariously weird. Yes that is the goal.

I'll look into it, but I have a feeling there's it will be a difference between "hilariously weird" and "viable"