Poll: How do you feel about the current state of antagonists??
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I believe there should be more antagonists.
66.67%
10 66.67%
I think the current antagonists should be changed before new ones are added.
20.00%
3 20.00%
I think that antagonists should not be changed.
13.33%
2 13.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Additional Antagonists/ Antagonist Changes
I like the current selection of antagonists on Goonstation, however, seeing the same things being done as a traitor is kinda boring. I feel like most antagonists are used  just to murderbone, and it really takes away from what makes each antagonist unique. Therefore, I am suggesting adding additional antagonists to fill niche roles, which I believe will make the game more interesting and fun. Take a look at some of the other SS13 servers, while some may think that they have to many, a lot of them are actually good ideas. For example, a serial killer antagonist would be primarily focused on mass killing. The classic xenomorph would add a whole new aspect to the game, because you never know which vents are safe. Cultists, aiming to summon their dark lord, and giving some purpose to the otherwise lackluster chapel. Even a malfunctioning AI would add a little spice. My point is, I want antagonists to feel different, rather than all having abilities that make it easier to achieve the same goal, murder. I'm sure some others feel the same way, and I would love to get feedback on this, whether it be antagonist ideas or changes to current ones. Any input is good input! So please feel free to share your ideas.
>I feel like most antagonists are used just to murderbone

That's like, the entire point of antags. To grief.

>For example, a serial killer antagonist would be primarily focused on mass killing.

How isn't this just ling or traitor?

>The classic xenomorph would add a whole new aspect to the game, because you never know which vents are safe.

We don't really have vents. Also, we already have clown-spiders and Flock is being worked on.

>Cultists, aiming to summon their dark lord, and giving some purpose to the otherwise lackluster chapel.

Look at the Discord, people are talking about this all the time. Also, the chapel is already tied to vamps.

>Even a malfunctioning AI would add a little spice.

That was intentionally removed.

>My point is, I want antagonists to feel different, rather than all having abilities that make it easier to achieve the same goal, murder.

Look, I appreciate that. I really do. But none of these would fix that.
(07-09-2020, 03:29 PM)DJ-Fireball_did_this Wrote: >I feel like most antagonists are used  just to murderbone

That's like, the entire point of antags. To grief.

>For example, a serial killer antagonist would be primarily focused on mass killing.

How isn't this just ling or traitor?

>The classic xenomorph would add a whole new aspect to the game, because you never know which vents are safe.

We don't really have vents. Also, we already have clown-spiders and Flock is being worked on.

>Cultists, aiming to summon their dark lord, and giving some purpose to the otherwise lackluster chapel.

Look at the Discord, people are talking about this all the time. Also, the chapel is already tied to vamps.

>Even a malfunctioning AI would add a little spice.

That was intentionally removed.

>My point is, I want antagonists to feel different, rather than all having abilities that make it easier to achieve the same goal, murder.

Look, I appreciate that. I really do. But none of these would fix that.

There is a difference between griefing and murderboning, the ling and traitor objectives could be changed, there are plenty of vents and pipes.
I was talking to Noot the other day about a Mummy antag for funsies. Similar to the popular Mummy series (mostly the first one) with Brandon Frasier, the Mummy would seek out organs in order to recover his ancient power and create minions along the way to assist with that.

Things he could do might include:
+ Disembowel/Gouge victims to harvest organs.
+ A slew of classic Mummy curses: decay, random illnesses, bad luck, and eventually the horrific Hom Dai.
+ Crafting traps to hinder the crew or help himself in the form of deadly traps and magical structures.
+ Creating hybrid beasts/humanoids with varying animal parts.
+ His overall objectives might be to gain revenge on the great descendants of people who killed and imprisoned him. Aside from green text, he could receive temporary objectives to harvest specific people or steal "sacred objects" for some sort of item/point gain.
+ He can also cause specific disasters across the entire station in the form of earthquakes, swarms of biting insects, poisoning food/drink items, sweeping plagues across the crew, causing blood to burst from pipes (also breaking them off), and causing the dead to rise in mass.

I can't think of anything else to add here. I don't know how difficult it would be to code or balance, but maybe putting this out there might inspire new antags or help with changes in old ones.
(07-09-2020, 04:18 PM)Kamikaze Mongoose Wrote: I was talking to Noot the other day about a Mummy antag for funsies. Similar to the popular Mummy series (mostly the first one) with Brandon Frasier, the Mummy would seek out organs in order to recover his ancient power and create minions along the way to assist with that.

Things he could do might include:
+ Disembowel/Gouge victims to harvest organs.
+ A slew of classic Mummy curses: decay, random illnesses, bad luck, and eventually the horrific Hom Dai.
+ Crafting traps to hinder the crew or help himself in the form of deadly traps and magical structures.
+ Creating hybrid beasts/humanoids with varying animal parts.
+ His overall objectives might be to gain revenge on the great descendants of people who killed and imprisoned him. Aside from green text, he could receive temporary objectives to harvest specific people or steal "sacred objects" for some sort of item/point gain.
+ He can also cause specific disasters across the entire station in the form of earthquakes, swarms of biting insects, poisoning food/drink items, sweeping plagues across the crew, causing blood to burst from pipes (also breaking them off), and causing the dead to rise in mass.

I can't think of anything else to add here. I don't know how difficult it would be to code or balance, but maybe putting this out there might inspire new antags or help with changes in old ones.

I've heard the mummy idea a few times (And I love it. I think it should be an Alien Mummy, like from Mars or some shit)

But I really love the idea of their progression being tied to getting organs.

I picture them as a bit of a cross between Wizard and Wraith, with their powers being focused on not fighting people directly, but creating all kinds of traps and mobs to evade pursuit and catch people unawares while generally being hard to kill.
(07-09-2020, 02:52 PM)qrqwerqwr Wrote: I am suggesting adding additional antagonists to fill niche roles, which I believe will make the game more interesting and fun. Take a look at some of the other SS13 servers, while some may think that they have to many, a lot of them are actually good ideas. For example, a serial killer antagonist would be primarily focused on mass killing. The classic xenomorph would add a whole new aspect to the game, because you never know which vents are safe. Cultists, aiming to summon their dark lord, and giving some purpose to the otherwise lackluster chapel. Even a malfunctioning AI would add a little spice.

This mostly feels like "Goon isn't like other stations and this is bad".

Serial Killer - You can't complain about people murderboning and then suggest an antagonist who's entire gimmick is murdering multiple people.

Xenomorph - Was actually part of Goon at some point.  It was removed before I joined for reasons I am unaware of.

Cultists - uuuuhhhhhhhhhh maybe?

The antags we have are fine as is I think.
Thread about new antagonist types feels like an excuse to plug the suggestion I am most proud of
exactly what im thinking qwerwewwerwqrw this is obviously why we need vore antag's to get added ASAP

/s
(07-09-2020, 10:35 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Thread about new antagonist types feels like an excuse to plug the suggestion I am most proud of

Yeah see that's what I mean. Antagonists that involve things besides "kill people", but that's still involved somehow. I love interesting themes for antags but IMO Goon can get a little too caught up in that, without putting enough thought into the gameplay caused.
So this is kind of a tricky thing to solve because one of the biggest things with goon and antags is not copying other servers (for whatever reason), and that coming up with decent antags is hard, and then coding them even harder.

This said, I want to mention that we have an antagonist currently in the works: Flockmind. It's still in development but I know the peeps working on it and they'll take good care with making it a decent antag and getting it finished.

On the terms of antags we already have, most of them are ok for now in my eyes. Wraith could use a bit of a rework and rebalancing, and werewolf could be fleshed out a bit more. But there's one antag that's almost never seen due to it being a removed latejoin and admin only now. That antag is predator. I would LOVE to see this antagonist brought back and expanded upon, and think it could make for something interesting given the right care.

On the topic of new antagonists... That's where I don't really tread. The goal here is to come up with something unique that wouldn't be unbalanced or difficult to code, which is a hard balance to find. I think some of the sameness and boring repetitiveness of antags like traitors and spies could be remedied through the addition of new items that could be tied to certain departments/jobs and that would change combat a bit. Making new items that change gameplay can supplement as an alternative to making a whole new antagonist.