Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actually model the inside of pods
How big would the inside be? 4 x 4? I guess when you are inside the pod it'd be like when you look at security cameras only you can control the pod. If only there was a way to look at security cameras and still be aware of your surroundings.
Yeah the turf for the pods would be stationary in a separate, sealed-off location, the pod itself would be an object moving around, a view of the inside would be overlaid onto the top of the pod sprite for all of its occupants.
Could that actually be done? I Guess if it was done in a way that classes it as part of the HUD or inventory, then I can see it working.
I always wanted to suggest something like this. Questions:

What would the walls look like?
What would the space be filled with?
How would you account for the pods with increased passenger capacity?
How would you get it so someone can't just store infinite corpses inside the pod?
How will pod damage be addressed?
for people limits, their could be a weight capacity where as you add more people, the pod becomes progressively slower/refuses to fly

dead bodies don't really seem like a problem since you can already stuff a crate with corpses and throw it in the cargo hold anyway
I think the walls would look like the edge of the pod, there'd be some kind of floor, I guess looking like the shuttle floor in a different colour maybe, never heard of any pods with increased passenger capacity but it is a 2x2 area so maybe more seats? People can already store infinite corpses in a box in the cargo bay and that's much harder to find than dumping them in the interior where anyone could climb in and find them. For pod damage, you already have the pod health bar on your interface when you're inside it, I guess that when "The pod cockpit catches fire!" it would actually be filled with fire.
pizzatiger Wrote:I would love tihs but i am pretty sure it's impossible.

What does the game do when there is more pods then rooms for the pods? Will the person who enters of a new pod be shoved into someone else pod? Or does a new pod-room build when you finish building a new pod?
That needs to be addressed. Presumably, if you're being teleported to a different z-level when entering or exiting the pod, there has to be a room built and linked to every pod. If it was just one special pod like a Martian mothership, that seems feasible.

With multiple pods, there would have to be a room for each one. Each new pod built would also need a room, which is all taking up space.

Honestly, I can't see this being feasible for every pod, but if there were one (or two) special pods, some kind of FTL hijinx might be possible.
I was thinking there'd just be more room than would ever be used for pods, and if you try and go beyond it you get, I dunno, some kind of humourous error? Station's run out of pod licenses? I wonder if it would be possible for pod space to kind of be instanced, so each person/pair of people would only see each other, fire would only be visible to and affect people whose pods are actually on fire, that kind of thing. It wouldn't need to be actual simulated fire the way normal station fire is, anyway, just the fire graphics and everyone inside taking heat damage. Ghosts just wouldn't be able to get into the pod area, and observing people would obviously mean you see only what they're seeing.
Another big question is if the effort to make all this is worth the work.

The big reason I can see having the inside of a pod modeled out is for it to require a crew to operate. This would be great for something team based like Syndicate or the Martian idea, I couldn't see it getting much play outside that, unless there was a compelling reason to choose a crew managed pod over on of the self piloted ones. Needing multiple people sounds less efficient, but that could be made up for by making those pods hardier.

All that said, I'm totally down for a Syndicate/Martain megapod crew vs a Station megapod crew.
It's primarily so that if you're in a pod with the driver being someone you don't like, you can do something about it. It's so that sec officers can stun a pod with pod tasers, get out of theirs, climb into the other guy's pod and start administering justice.
It's also so you can properly sort through your inventory inside the pod without fear of dropping something and having to get out of the pod in order to pick it up. also so you can actually heal yourself or enjoy a sandwich whilst you are podfighting.