Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actually model the inside of pods
So basically my idea is that instead of pods being containers that you can fly, they're rooms off somewhere else I guess, maybe devote an area of the z-level to pod insides. When you're in a pod, the 2x2 area (or 1x1) that it takes up on your screen is replaced or overlaid with a view of the room. Movement controls still control the pod if you're the driver or nothing if you're the copilot, but you could, ie, punch the shit out of the other occupant, drop stuff on the ground and have it visible and able to be picked up, maybe throw stuff at the edge of the room and have it fly out of the pod like you threw it out of the door. Getting out could be done by a button on the pod controls, maybe one with a kind of buckle icon? Might be impossible, I don't know, but I think it would be really cool if it's doable. Even after the interface rework, pods have always been just a bit clunky and uncertain, I think this would really improve them.
this'd be kinda useless for miniputts, but for every other pod this would be Way Past Cool

it could also make the giant drone in space way more useful
That would add so much drama to running after some bastard in a pod while mashing the board button. I love it.
Imagine all the bodies/husks you could hide in this.
You'd still be able to put stuff down on the floor in miniputts, or throw bombs out of the door.
Pod searches by security to look for weed.
Usually botany is more than happy to give me weed when I'm an officer.
So much things you could do with this...
If there was a way to program this without becoming a massive lagfest, it would be a cool thing.
I would love tihs but i am pretty sure it's impossible.

What does the game do when there is more pods then rooms for the pods? Will the person who enters of a new pod be shoved into someone else pod? Or does a new pod-room build when you finish building a new pod?
Wasn't there a Martian mode planned that did this with the Martian mothership?
Frank_Stein Wrote:Wasn't there a Martian mode planned that did this with the Martian mothership?

Yep viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1127
also

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=437&hilit=martian+mode
Ah my beloved martian mode.

Yes funny that this was mentioned, this was a concept I kinda thought was plausible back when I was came up the idea of a martian mothership, something that would be fecking huge and would have an inner sanctum as suggested.

It was shot down (as will this idea unfortunately) as it's just not feasible whatsoever to have moving turf or whatever you call floor and walls or something along those lines. For the same reason the escape shuttle teleports in rather than moving in.
Huh. But wouldn't the inside of the ship be stationary since it's a completely different location? The pod would just be something that had it's movements tied to the controls there. There wouldn't be a need to move turf.