Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.88 Average
A new "Classic-RP" server variant
(06-12-2024, 02:08 AM)Glamurio Wrote: To draw an analogy that might help you understand Zamu's rhetoric, if you play League of Legends and you roll Support, you are supposed to support. People generally prefer if the role that you end up in makes a difference for the whole game to function, because if everyone does what they want regardless of their assigned role, then roles or jobs don't mean anything anymore.

We all know that staffies can hack into science, but ideally you let the scientist play as scientist before you rob him of his identity, or otherwise scientists are just staffies that don't need to hack into science, and we might as well give everyone AA.

To add to this with the league example. Some people play support in LoL but they decide: "I am more damage then support since haha gimmick build"
This is allowed but frowned upon.

And as you can guess. With staffies... what EXACTLY is a staff assistant?
Simple.. it's someone who assist any department that needs it.

Personally if I am a scientist roleplaying something to test things on people insted of monkeys. There are 3 people I will look for:
- Clown, cause haha clown died due to experiment for a buck!
- Mime, The silent french one atleast didn't scream painfully.
- Staff Assistant, THATS WHAT THEY ARE FOR.

If you need help with something you can either:
- Ask a borg.
- Ask a collegue of your department.
- Grab a staff assistant.

I think that's the only thing we need more of to avoid "Greytiders" being standard. Just.. grab a staff assistant to do stuff with.
Security needs more people looking around? Hire a staff assistant to security assistant or your deputy to report to.

Make staff assistants feel more like a "standby" crewman, then "Ugh greyshirt"

Anyway... this was a side tagent but needed in my opinion.
i disagree with a side tangent being needed, especially after multiple people have pointed out that the discussion has once again gone wildly off topic
If you want to play RP then go play RP. Don't try to force people who SPECIFICALLY play on the nonRP server to RP if they don't wish to. Theres a reason they play on Classic and not the RP servers.
(06-13-2024, 12:00 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: If you want to play RP then go play RP. Don't try to force people who SPECIFICALLY play on the nonRP server to RP if they don't wish to. Theres a reason they play on Classic and not the RP servers.

I don't think anyone here is in favor of forcing classic players to meet RP standards beyond not murderboning every time you get antag and not powergaming the same gear every round. The population shifting from goon1 to goon3 happened for a reason, and its because you are much less likely to get killed in a boring way round after round. I really like playing on classic when its goofy fun and I'm able to turn my brain off, and not when someone is dunking on the entire station for the third round in a row. I really don't wanna see it turn into goon2, because honestly I pretty much avoid playing on goon1 if its low pop for that reason.
(06-13-2024, 12:00 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: If you want to play RP then go play RP. Don't try to force people who SPECIFICALLY play on the nonRP server to RP if they don't wish to. Theres a reason they play on Classic and not the RP servers.

well said, by someone who plays on neither.

this is not a comment of approval, just to make my sarcasm clear.
Rebrand the servers as "Crunchy" and "Smooth"

I've always like the description of Paranoia's game modes

Straight - "Yossarian from CATCH-22 gets a job in Orwell's Ministry of Truth"
Classic - "Laurel and Hardy get jobs with the IRS on the original starship ENTERPRISE"
Zap - "Yosemite Sam gets a job in a factory that makes sledgehammers, nuclear warheads and glass unicorn figurines."

RP Server I see somewhere between Straight & Classic, where Classic Server would be someone between Classic & Zap

I think both servers should have roleplay, I just think the difference should be how serious the tone should be, and the general pacing of the rounds
Anything that works for master computer works for me.
(06-13-2024, 03:54 PM)Zamujasa Wrote:

well said, by someone who plays on neither.

this is not a comment of approval, just to make my sarcasm clear.

Just because I don't play often doesn't mean I don't deserve to have my voice heard. No need to be a dick about it.
as you did in the very first page of this thread:

(06-08-2024, 10:26 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Leave Classic as Classic. If you want to force people to play a different way then you make a new server.
The reason it's Classic is because it's got the Classic Goon rules with antags being able to play however they wish without needing to worry about escalation rules or whatever. Or having to worry about RPing at all.
If I wanted to RP I'd play on an RP server. Not on the Classic server. (Not like I play that much anyway though)

and after i said that things have been getting off topic and that things like rp antag discussion was completely out of it

but more to the point, as someone who doesn't actually play the game any more, i cannot trust you to have a reasonable or valid opinion of the game's current state, and that makes it hard to talk about things in a meaningful way

if you don't play the game any more, then... why does it matter what you want? what you are asking for is what the server currently is, a roleplay-free barely-not-anarchy mess. and you still aren't playing it. you HAVE the situation you want, and that's not satisfactory enough.

that's what i mean. you don't understand classic's current problems, or its current state, because you are never there. you only care as much as you can to log in and post about how it shouldn't change.
adding an additional server to split the classic population and admin team would be horrible and unnecessary. ive seen games add niche new servers that split pops before and its generally always a devastating idea and they need to merge the servers soon after.

also, i really dont think any of the changes need to be too heavy in order to move the server in the right direction. classic doesnt need escalation, and it doesnt need an RP requirement. if classic had an RP requirement in any form id probably just stop playing ss13 forever. i think any new rules to be added need to just focus on making players play less like ss13 is something they should beat the other players at to win, and instead make them realize the way you win is to have fun stuff happen.
(06-14-2024, 06:01 PM)Snoid Wrote: i think any new rules to be added need to just focus on making players play less like ss13 is something they should beat the other players at to win, and instead make them realize the way you win is to have fun stuff happen.

i have good news
(06-14-2024, 11:32 PM)Zamujasa Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 06:01 PM)Snoid Wrote: i think any new rules to be added need to just focus on making players play less like ss13 is something they should beat the other players at to win, and instead make them realize the way you win is to have fun stuff happen.

i have good news

oooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh