Goonstation Forums
should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n (/showthread.php?tid=7433)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - YoukCat - 11-14-2016

I have Asperger's, and I also never even knew about this shit. Don't care though.
That's just my opinion though, others could disagree.

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - UrsulaMejor - 11-14-2016

(11-14-2016, 12:35 PM)VictorMAngoStein Wrote: I mean, if we had something like vaccines having a small chance to give some sort of in-game Asperger's I wouldn't mind that either, but I digress.
I thought we did.  At least, the wiki mentioned a disease called space autism that made you sneer at things.

It was removed, probably because it was tasteless.

Quote: if sperg jokes get banned

No one is advocating this position, that i'm aware of. Banning a thing and making it policy not to have those kinds of jokes in-game are different.

Quote:Plus it's generally assumed that anyone who plays SS13 is an aspie by default

No it isn't? This joke seems to me in poor taste, given the subject matter.

TheNewTeddy Wrote:There's an argument that this is somehow ableism, but there's no evidence provided at all.

Making fun of someone for, or making light of, or making use of in a pejorative manner, a mental or physical disability is ableism. To what extent does it do harm? In this case, probably very little. However, calling people spergs is ableist because it makes use of a derogatory slur for people on the autism spectrum.

Quote:A - this is somehow offensive, when nobody has yet explained how or why
and
B - these terms are thus equal to other 'bad words'

A - It has been, several times, regardless of whether or not you agree. Offense is something taken, not given. You can't argue that someone else didn't find something offensive.

B - No one argued that they're equal to other slurs. The primary argument seems to have been "it's not really consistent to ban certain slurs but then have items in the game with slurs as part of their names."

Quote:again, we compare these bullshit words that are not even offensive to words that everyone here agrees actually are offensive.

Comparisons of structure =/= comparisons of impact. "A punch is like a bullet in that it is violent and hurts" is not to say that punches and bullets are somehow equitable; but if you wouldn't shoot someone because it's violent and it hurts, then it'd be inconsistent with those values to punch someone instead (without good reason).

Quote:Again, this, from my experience in online asperger communities, is untrue. Aspie is not an offensive term. I've even met up in person with people who have aspergers, and our group was called "aspies"

Personally, i've never really known the word "aspie" outside of an offensive or patronizing manner. If you say it's not a slur, maybe i just don't know, but it could also be like "queer" in that people in the queer community refer to themselves as such all the time, and it's still a slur to call someone a queer. Intent in this case would matter, and in the case of online correspondence where intent can't be judged because there isn't enough information, people will get hurt.

Quote:If this is how people really feel, just remove all of it. I really don't care. If my opinion does not matter, then why the fuck was a thread made asking me what that opinion is.

Of course your opinion matters; this is a community of people, and communities work with each other and talk to each other and come together to discuss disagreements.

Even if your opinion is ultimately not validated, it doesn't mean it won't have been considered.

This is why i've participated in this discussion. I know to reasonable certainty that my opinion isn't ultimately going to change anyone's mind, but I know that at least some people here have or will have considered it, and that's what being a community is about. Considering everyone's opinion and coming to a decision as a group.

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - FastKarz - 11-14-2016

In summary:

We have the "Remove" side that says that " 'Aspie' and 'Sperg' are slurs, and even though some in the forum may not be offended, the derogatory status of the words doesn't change. We should stay consistent with our policies up to now and make Goonstation more inclusive by changing the items to something less offensive."

We also have the "Leave" side saying that "It's a flimsy connection at best, and we have numerous affected people in this forum claiming that they really don't care. If the people that are supposedly offended by this aren't offended, it isn't an issue.

Tell me if I left any major parts out of the arguments, I'm trying to look at this as objectively as I can.

(11-14-2016, 07:47 PM)FastKarz Wrote: Tell me if I left any major parts out of the arguments, I'm trying to look at this as objectively as I can.

You've done a great job, at least in my opinion.

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - Ed Venture - 11-14-2016

(11-14-2016, 07:47 PM)FastKarz Wrote: If the people that are supposedly offended by this aren't offended, it isn't an issue.

Could not agree more.

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - Musketman12 - 11-14-2016

Personally I just think buttburger is funnier than assburger.

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - Grek - 11-14-2016

There's not really unitary Remove and Leave sides. There's:

Remove (I have aspergers and think its rude)
Remove (No its a dumb pun about a disability)
Remove (I'd be more consistent with our rules)
Keep (It's funny and nobody sounds offended)
Keep (I have asperger's and I think its fine)
Keep (Ableism isn't real, go back to tumblr)
Keep (Slippery slope! Trigger warnings!)

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - Ed Venture - 11-14-2016

Someone in IRC pointed out that these jokes are not what started this discussion but it was the phrase "Sperg out" that did and should remarks like this be banned or be shunned for.

I'm personally fine with the jokes. But some have expressed how this thread may have went off topic from the get-go.

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - medsal15 - 11-14-2016

As an asperger, I am not offended by these jokes. I never thought they were offensive in any way.

In my opinion, independent of whether or not we agree on whether or not they're offensive, blah blah, I think these suggested alternative descriptions are just more funny in general:

Code:
/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/pie/ass
    name = "asspie"
    desc = "Never has eating ass tasted so good"

/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/burger/assburger
    name = "assburger"
    desc = "Some hot meat between two firm buns."

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - HydroFloric - 11-14-2016

(11-14-2016, 09:00 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: In my opinion, independent of whether or not we agree on whether or not they're offensive, blah blah, I think these suggested alternative descriptions are just more funny in general:

Code:
/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/pie/ass
    name = "asspie"
    desc = "Never has eating ass tasted so good"

/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/burger/assburger
    name = "assburger"
    desc = "Some hot meat between four firm buns."
Fixed it for you

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - Arborinus - 11-14-2016

(11-14-2016, 09:00 PM)Various people Wrote: "Never has eating ass tasted so good"

Maybe I'm just perverted or not getting the joke, but isn't that breaking the "No sexual content" rule?

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - Scrumpys - 11-14-2016

(11-14-2016, 09:21 PM)Arborinus Wrote:
(11-14-2016, 09:00 PM)Various people Wrote: "Never has eating ass tasted so good"

Maybe I'm just perverted or not getting the joke, but isn't that breaking the "No sexual content" rule?

Nah those are definitely sexual. Those descriptions really clash with the rest of the game imo.

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - Grek - 11-15-2016

buttpie/asspie: Requires spooning.

buttburger/assburger: Twice the buns, half the hairs.

RE: should we remove asperger's jokes y/n - Frank_Stein - 11-15-2016

I've heard of moon pie but this is ridiculous