Goonstation Forums
Add more medical conditions - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Add more medical conditions (/showthread.php?tid=4332)

Pages: 1 2

Add more medical conditions - Ali0en - 03-09-2015

Medical content seems to be a big focus lately so more damage issues would be nice. I'll list some pretty basic ones.

Seizures: Makes people flop around like a fish or, in minor cases, stare off into space
Aneurisms: Some chems to relax veins or surgery to install shunts/grafts. Causes internal bleeding, vomiting, and seizures
Embolisms: Cause blood problems due to poor circulation
Internal bleeding: Bleeding inside
Strokes: Disables use of one side of the body (arms and leg, just as if amputated) until remedied, can be temporary and rather harmless or lethal. Bad cases should give players the mutant face to simulate facial droop
Congestive heart failure: Vomiting blood (or pink vomit) and oxy damage. Requires a new heart (I think something like that is already in but expand on it)
Type 1 Diabetes: Patient needs insulin injections whenever they eat, make some pumps for advanced robotics stuff
Pacemakers: Make them implants that auto-defib someone for a limited time, or at a weak amount

Re: Add more medical conditions - Spy_Guy - 03-09-2015

This is a cool thread.

Re: Add more medical conditions - Haine - 03-09-2015

a very cool thread!

Re: Add more medical conditions - Ali0en - 03-10-2015

Also, cool one that medics do in reality.

Let saline glucose temporarily increase blood volume. It fills up space from lost blood until you can get your patient to an ER (medbay). It leaves nasty skin later as it perfused into the skin tissue though.

Add tension pneumothorax. Make it require a sharp object or needle to be used on the chest. Otherwise it could lead to oxy damage and a heart attack.

Re: Add more medical conditions - DyssalC - 03-10-2015

Yes, add more doctoring. Excellent.

For internal bleeding, it could require an incision in the chest, then the use of a suture on the chest, or synth-flesh depending on how accurate you wanna be with it.

Re: Add more medical conditions - Dr_Bee - 03-10-2015

yea, actual reasons for using doctoring instead of being a glorified paramedic would be a wonderful addition.

more augmentations like the cyber-heart would be nice as well I am somewhat sad people dont ask for cyber-hearts more often with how powerful they are.

Re: Add more medical conditions - Amuys - 03-10-2015

When will you guys add nitroglycerin. I'm upset that I'm using epi for ALL cardiac related conditions mad

Re: Add more medical conditions - pizzatiger - 03-10-2015

Ali0en Wrote:Let saline glucose temporarily increase blood volume. It fills up space from lost blood until you can get your patient to an ER (medbay). It leaves nasty skin later as it perfused into the skin tissue though.

Shaddy assistant says " Yo clown want to become a balloon?"
Derpy clown says "Sure friend!"
Shaddy Assistant trys in to inject Derpy clown
Shaddy Assistant injects Derpy clown
Shaddy Assistant says "I just injected you with my ballon chem, Your about to expand then pop!
Derpy clown says "NOOOOHONKOOOOOOOHONKOOOOOOOO
Derpy clown pops like a balloon spilling blood and guts everywhere!

Re: Add more medical conditions - Sundance - 03-10-2015

Spy_Guy Wrote:This is a cool thread.

Septic shock:
Leaving wounds unattended will cause a message "your wounds begin to fester". This will work in conjunction to bleeding stopping, but will roll depending on how badly you were previously damaged. During this period, you can take some space-a-cillin to stop it from going into full blown septicemia (or perhaps something more accessible? Splash some ethanol on yourself for anti-bacterial reasons?)

After a while untreated, you will get another message "Your whole body feels inflamed and painful!", during this period you will begin to get tox damage.
To treat this, space-a-cillin will be required, but cutting away the festered tissue via scalpel is now a must.

When in the 3rd stage of septic shock, you have a chance to roll for the other circulatory shock (i.e cured by saline-glucose).

3rd Degree burns:
Extreme burn damage may be cured by silver sulfadine, but will leave you with the ailment 3rd degree burns.
"your flesh melts away from your bones!"
This will cause the player to be disfigured, forces the player to walk and take minor burn damage every-time someone touches you in anyway "IT BURNS!"
All of the above can be cured by applying synth-flesh

Decompression Sickness
Caused by being exposed to the vacuum of space for a significant period of time. You get the message "your saliva beings to suddenly boil!" as the pressure has risen
Secondly would be vomiting and pissing yourself due to pressure damage.
Thirdly you trip and fall as your limbs seize up due to the pressure in your joints, and occasional brain damage.
This can be cured by being on having oxygen treatment, so perhaps giving a salbutomal drip would be good? Or perhaps the sleeper could have that setting?

Misc
It would be nice if addictions and food poisoning, remnants from old code, could be looked at. If they have different flavors of treatments, that would be great.

Typically 3rd degree burns won't be painful at the affected site because the nerves are burnt and destroyed.
Treat it with saline on bandages to cool them down. Make them susceptible to shock and infection.

Re: Add more medical conditions - Mageziya - 03-10-2015

Amuys Wrote:When will you guys add nitroglycerin. I'm upset that I'm using epi for ALL cardiac related conditions mad
I get the feeling that they won't add it because of how nitroglycerin can be used as an explosive in large quantities. It would be a bit of odd balancing with how the game handles chems to prevent someone from just looting all of medbay's nitro and blowing it up.

Anyway, I feel like if you wanted to add more depth to medical you could do so by adding more organs, though there do seem to be some limitations with the UI, as most organs would be in the torso-target area.

Quote:Typically 3rd degree burns won't be painful at the affected site because the nerves are burnt and destroyed.
Treat it with saline on bandages to cool them down. Make them susceptible to shock and infection.

That's true. Maybe not shock AND infection, shock should be enough, and it would tie in with the saline that you suggested.
As far as the cure, the reason behind synth-flesh was that it acts like a chemical skin graph, which would be used for 3rd degree burn sufferers.

BIG SUGGESTION INVOLVING CRYO
Currently cyro is kinda good in that yes: It will cure all sorts of damage, but kinda bad. It just seems like an old relic of old code that nobody uses over more accessible medicines.
Here's a suggestion for cryo:
Perhaps cryo should do EXACTLY what cryo does today: Puts the patient in suspended animation.
That is: It pauses the progression of all damage types and ailments.

A player who is completely fucked and you need more medicine or more appropriate medicine can be shoved into cryo while you compose yourself.
Example: A player whom needs a heart transplant because their heart has fallen out of their chest by heart worms can be put in cryo. Here, he wont get any more oxygen damage and his condition will not kill him. He is however, not in a very good condition, as the doctor who will eventually eject him will IMMEDIATELY need to start pumping meds as the condition and all forms of damage immediately begin once out of cryo.

Quote:Perhaps cryo should do EXACTLY what cryo does today: Puts the patient in suspended animation.
A-hem that should probably not read "what cryo does today" as suspended animation has to be actually implemented yet.

Re: Add more medical conditions - atomic1fire - 03-10-2015

If cyro is converted into a suspended animation machine then pathology should have it's own cyro tube.

"Find a victim, extract their blood, put them in cyro so that their symptoms don't progress."

Basically it would make a good stop gap to actually curing someone.

Mageziya Wrote:
Amuys Wrote:When will you guys add nitroglycerin. I'm upset that I'm using epi for ALL cardiac related conditions mad
I get the feeling that they won't add it because of how nitroglycerin can be used as an explosive in large quantities. It would be a bit of odd balancing with how the game handles chems to prevent someone from just looting all of medbay's nitro and blowing it up.
I feel like it'd be more deadly because it's really easy to kill someone with by bottoming out their blood pressure. get in not go out