Goonstation Forums
vampire fixed, misc gripes itt - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: vampire fixed, misc gripes itt (/showthread.php?tid=2409)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - Karakoran - 05-28-2014

Honestly I think the real issue is the endless power ups the Vampires have at no blood cost. A vampire is fairly weak in the beginning, but even then they can deflect a stun and can stun anyone in the immediate area. But they usually don't need to rely on that to feed on someone since it's fairly easy to find a braindead or two. Hell, some pretty basic stuff like a flash would let you feed all you want. Then, once the vampire gets going, it really gets going and becomes invincible. Essentially, it goes from moderately strong to Macho Man with only half a dozen victims. Compare this to say, a Changeling. Changelings are pretty strong in the beginning, very strong when they turn into Shambling Abominations, but still beatable. Or a wizard, which is moderately strong all the way through. The issue is that a vampire has plenty of blood but almost never needs to lose it. A totally efficient vampire could spend the entire round without spending any blood.

Here's some potential changes:
1) A vampire loses ~5 blood per minute if it doesn't feed or use a power that directly costs blood. Doing either of those things buys the vampire a minute without blood loss, but doesn't stack.
2) A vampire starts at ~150 blood with the cut-offs, etc. being raised to match that.
3) If a vampire dips to 0 blood it loses all powers and within 3 minutes he begins taking brute damage through some sort of RNG system.
4) More power-ups directly cost blood. For instance, Chiro Screench costs 50 blood. Mist Form costs 10 blood per second. Rejuvenate/Glare/Hypnosis all cost 25 blood.
5) Rejuvenate+ is altered to only heal, not prevent a stun. Also costs 25 blood and cool-down is upped to 40 seconds.
6) Having cloak of darkness toggled on costs ~2 blood per minute.
7) Get rid of Shapeshift (or at least don't let it change ID).

These don't all have to be taken verbatim, but what I'm trying to suggest is forcing the vampire to be more thrifty with his blood. That way a vampire can't just spam powers, etc. and become instantly robust. Or rather, they COULD, but if they don't get some blood out of it then they run the risk of getting too low and becoming incredibly weak.

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - Zadeon - 05-29-2014

Make vampires lose a ton of blood if a limb gets blown off. And I mean a lot of it.

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - mozi - 06-02-2014

bump this thread every time vampire is shit and needs to be removed

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - Weavel - 06-02-2014

I used a stapler and a beer bottle to drink monkey blood and after one full stapler and one braindead geneticist I had the ability to mist form, freely heal and three methods of stun that also worked while unconscious

mozi inspired bump-moan

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - man - 06-05-2014

delete vampire

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - man - 06-05-2014

wish i had some clip art of a dude beating up a vampire or something to go with my post but i don't.
or maybea cool castlevania screenshot

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - KikiMofo - 06-05-2014

man Wrote:wish i had some clip art of a dude beating up a vampire or something to go with my post but i don't.
or maybea cool castlevania screenshot
You don't have any art about a guy beating up a vampire because vampires are too OP for someone to beat on them.

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - Frank_Stein - 06-05-2014

I like vampires frown

But yeah, I guess they need to be less powerful. Ideally I'd like to see them as a force that stalks the crew, growing in power until they mount a resistance. I saw someone suggest that the vampire be more territory based. Maybe they set a lair which gets bigger the more victims they claim, with weaker powers when they are outside the lair.

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - Fox McCloud - 06-05-2014

There's little you can do against them; they're debatably the strongest antag in the game.

Yes, they start out "weak", but this is easily remedied by a quick pod trip the diner. Heck, even if you had zero access and were ultra paranoid, it doesn't take much to capture one monkey and take it some place in a pod to get to full power the first 3-5 minutes of the game.

Once full power the only thing that's going to stop a vamp is something that's going to literally one-shot them or horrendous over-extension on the vamp's part.

Really, I think the main problems are three of his abilities: rejuvenate, glare, and mist form, and bite.

Rejuvenate has already been covered well elsewhere. Mist form is essentially an "I get out of any bad situation I want" button, which means even if he's reckless, he's still stupidly hard to take down.

Glare? I dunno why sunglasses don't hard-counter this. If you glare someone with glasses, all it does is make them dizzy a little bit before they still fall down. Flashes don't work on sunglasses, I don't feel this should either.

Bite? I don't think this should stunlock you, personally; the Vamp should have to use more creative means (or hypnotize) of keeping someone out (same way with enthralling).

Granted, if all 4 things were nerfed, he'd probably be a bit on the weak side, but it would be great if we could start somewhere.

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - Fragmaster Lee - 06-09-2014

I haven't actually played a vamp round as of the most recent update, but it seems to of greatly improved things.

(I'd link to the changelog on the wiki here, but it hasn't updated yet.)

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - Sundance - 06-10-2014

A massive improvement.
That said, Cloak of Darkness is still horribly broken.

I'd still like to see an area based invisibility worked like the wizards ritual that costs the vampire blood. Call it "Spawn Lair" which costs like 50 or so blood and allows the vampire to be invisible within that area. The more blood, the bigger his lair.
This would change the way vampire functions, for the better.

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - KikiMofo - 06-10-2014

Sundance Wrote:A massive improvement.

I'd still like to see an area based invisibility worked like the wizards ritual that costs the vampire blood. Call it "Spawn Lair" which costs like 50 or so blood and allows the vampire to be invisible within that area. The more blood, the bigger his lair.
Na Cloak is fine now. Just keep a damn flashlight on you. I mean you really think you are going to be safe walking in a dark corridor by yourself when there is a vampire around? Darkness is the vampire's natural ally.

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - Convair880 - 06-10-2014

I did some testing, so here's some feedback on the newest changes:

- Gaining only 5 units of blood per tick slows vampires down a lot, which is good.
- However, scooping up blood from the floor and drinking it (e.g. smoking monkey blood) yields more blood per sip than actually draining somebody.
- The cloak overlay either broke or was removed, which makes this ability arguably even more useful than before. To be honest, it's also somewhat disorientating for the player.
- I can't get mist form to work anywhere. No matter where I am, the game claims there is somebody within visual range.
- In my opinion, the cooldown for rejuvenate+ remains way too short.

Unrelated to the latest update, but I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread before. Thermal vision has been unreliable for over a year at least. At the moment, it only seems to be working when your total blood count reaches 150 for the first time, and then ceases to function forever after the 200 mark.

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - Sundance - 06-10-2014

KikiMofo Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:A massive improvement.

Na Cloak is fine now. Just keep a damn flashlight on you. I mean you really think you are going to be safe walking in a dark corridor by yourself when there is a vampire around? Darkness is the vampire's natural ally.

Can you tell me with a 100% certainty that i'd be fine with a flashlight on me?
Because as far as I can tell, the flashlight doesn't always work. This is what I meant by broken. Also refer to the above post

Re: ATTN: Remove vampire until its functioning. - mozi - 06-10-2014

i consider this a victory for incessant whiners everywhere