Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vampire fixed, misc gripes itt
Vampire is godawful. It's not fun for anybody. It's not fun to fight a vampire, and it's quite frankly not fun to be one either. The only time vampire was a little fun for me is when I let all my snacks live, and even then it was a snore-fest. People who roll vampire often just go on an absolute murder boner and they have nothing in their way at stopping them.

So just remove it from rotation until it's at least considered what to do with it.
I've talked to a few admins who agree vampire is a turd of an antagonist, and I don't think i've met anyone who has anything good to say about the unbalanced blood-dork.

Suggestions to fix vampire while it's out of rotation

Problem 1: Vampire is unstunnable
Rejuvenate cancels out stun and heals if it's +. Stunning is quintessential in SS13, 70% (pulling this figure out of my ass) of fights rely on RNG of stuns. So you'd think that this power would cost alot of blood. But it costs nothing. This is nuts, especially seen as the + heals, and especially that tasers are nerfed.
Fix: Make it cost 50 blood or more. Simple and easy.

Problem 2: Vampires are invisible, buggy invisible
So Cloak of Darkness sucks. The station is going to be dark anyway, and Cloak of Darkness is bugged to fuck, you'd be standing on a slightly darkened tile and still be invisible.
Fix: Replace it with "Set Domain". This is coded like wizards corruption ritual, taking x amount of time before it is complete. It sets the room where your standing as your evil dastardly domain. Only in this area are you invisible. You can reset your domain as many times as you like.
This changes will change how vampires play, setting a home/feeding area, running to it to escape a mob, etc. The domain can be cancelled by the chaplains prayer. This to me sound really fun.

Problem 3: Chiropateran screech is mighty powerful
Luckily this doesn't need any coding at all. There's already a hard counter to this: Earmuffs.
Only problem: There's just not enough earmuffs.
Fix: Put more earmuffs in places that makes sense. 2 pairs of earmuffs beside the test-room. 2 pairs in security. 2 pairs lying about storage/general area.

So yeah, i've done some real hard thinking about what vampires need fixing. Try not to deviate too far from the original thread idea, that is removing it till it is fixed. Vampire is something that has the potential to be a balanced fun antagonist.
I haven't been around for too long, so correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't people used to complain vampires were too weak and it was no fun?
Sundance Wrote:So Cloak of Darkness sucks. The station is going to be dark anyway, and Cloak of Darkness is bugged to fuck, you'd be standing on a slightly darkened tile and still be invisible.
Fix: Replace it with "Set Domain". This is coded like wizards corruption ritual, taking x amount of time before it is complete. It sets the room where your standing as your evil dastardly domain. Only in this area are you invisible. You can reset your domain as many times as you like.

as long as it takes a increasingly long time to reset your vampire domain like corruptionand the chaplain can pray it away if he finds it because it should be invisible then i am all up for all of this idea.
There are still two MAJOR weaknesses of vampires that can be used to fight them.

Borgs: Vampires have little to no defense against your average Borg. Once a person is confirmed to be a vampire, they are a target of the killer machine army and their super cop master. Theoretically speaking, a chemistry Borg could stop a vampire with a metric shit-ton of holy water.

Flash-lights: The cloak of darkness is easily shattered by flash-lights. Coupled with you PDA flash light and the ability to stack brightness, you can get enough light coming off your person to see a vampire coming a mile away.

Groups: The vampire only has one ability that can take down a group for a short time. The vampire can't take down a group of about 3-4 people even with full power. Especially if you have a Borg in that group.

If you mix these together, you have a team that the vampire can't possibly stop on its own. With these still being a factor, it would be foolish to take it out of rotation. However, the problems presented here should be fixed immediately. Including this one that you missed.

Invincible Stage: Once a vampire gets enough blood, it is no longer effected by holy items. The only thing that can kill a vampire in this stage is a laser-gun or a shit ton of brute force(which with its abilities later on is near impossible). We need to rework this to give people a fighting chance at this stage. Have the vampire loose its teleportation/super-vision on holy grounds in this stage, and have holy water stun the vampire rather then burning it. It keeps people from holding up in the chapel, while still letting them fight back.
Well, I recently played Vampire recently for the first time ever in my entire career, and well...it kinda sucked. It has the ling problem, he/she can feed off of monkeys which are easy sources of blood. And you're right a vampire can almost never get knocked out, he always seems to have a way out of a situation. Especially considering that his blood meter is really easy to get up. Maybe we should make his powers cost more?
herpmcderp Wrote:as long as it takes a increasingly long time to reset your vampire domain like corruptionand the chaplain can pray it away if he finds it because it should be invisible then i am all up for all of this idea.
Works exactly like corruption ritual. So, all of the above.

epicdwarf Wrote:Borgs.. they are a target of the killer machine army..
Only borgs don't actually go after vampires like they do with lings. I don't think i've ever in my whole game experience, witnessed a borg kill a vampire. Ever.
epicdwarf Wrote:Flashlights..
Cloak of darkness is buggy as shit. Sometimes light works, sometimes it doesn't. Bar that, it's just super shit to have an cloaking enemy. Cloaks are boring, thermals are boring, it'd be better as cloaking area, like the domain I suggested.
epicdwarf Wrote:Groups..

Vampire is the only antag that can handle groups of people. Even abominations get overwhelmed. Vampires do not get stunned, have a group based attack, are invisible. You know that idea where you get a group of people? Chances are by the time you've got that organized, everyones already dead.
Addendum: Doesn't work EXACTLY like the corruption ritual. It won't have the skull overlay, that'd suck and be a big indicator. Everything else, the ritual, the time, yes.
Sundance Wrote:Only borgs don't actually go after vampires like they do with lings. I don't think i've ever in my whole game experience, witnessed a borg kill a vampire. Ever.
Well the thing is the wiki states, "Human UNTIL the AI or cyborg WITNESSES the creature commit a non-human act (shape shifting, transforming, proboscis etc)" for vampires and changelings and since vampires don't make husks or really even kill people while feeding if they don't want to an AI or borg can't really tell what it is.
Why not give chaplain a cool vampire hunting kit, consisting of a wooden steak, garlic, holy water, and the bible.

Two or three of those things already exist, and the chaplain already has them.

Someone could steal it from his office or he could ordain someone into vampire hunting, or do it him/herself.
Let botany grow garlic to use against the vampire?
If there is rice on the screen they can never move again because they have to count it?
blood code would need some changes to really fix vampire

as it stands now if you find a braindead guy and a medkit/medbot you can get more blood than you would ever possibly need
Its easy for a vampire to unlock full power by drinking dead blood and then going for a live one to complete it, so you'll almost never have a half-powered vampire causing havoc.
And borgs are not that great against vampires. It would take quite a few of them, all with speed upgrade, to be able to hunt down and stop one.
They are very good at slipping away thanks to their mist form. That coupled with bats will keep people occupied while the vampire gets to the other side of the station to recuperate.
Plus being a vampire gives you pretty much access to anything on the station. So it wouldn't be that hard to get a hold of some guns to deal with the borgs.
I think the most damage they do though are to the station windows. They can suck the air out of the entire station just by screaming. That will probably kill the majority of his victims.
Not to mention I got full up on blood by completely draining Shitty Bill, Father Jack, and the first poor bastard to show up in the diner before I could repair the teleporter. I spent the rest of the round chilling until the shuttle came.
The only problem with vampires is that Cloak of darkness is all kinds of broken. It takes a functioning light fixture to reveal a cloaked vampire. A couple of flashlights should be more than enough.

For every other problem, you don't go against a vampire alone. Plan beforehand what you're going to do.