Goonstation Forums
Cogmap 2: *** UPDATE TO BYOND 509 ASAP *** - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Cogmap 2: *** UPDATE TO BYOND 509 ASAP *** (/showthread.php?tid=2324)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - Frank_Stein - 08-13-2015

For camera navigation, some kind of minimap to quickly move to an area with a click would be great, as opposed to the camera list.

I don't wanna be too fatalistic about the increased size, because I think players will eventually adapt to it. Communication in game will become more important, and players will realize that and start doing it, with newcomers seeing it happen and pick up on it.

I do play Sec fairly regularly because I enjoy the interaction and the good vibes the job has when you do it well, but I have to admit to not always be the best organized. I do well enough reporting suspicious finds, but frequently forget to call for back up in the heat of things because I'm too busy trying to survive an encounter to remember run out and radio in.

Maybe tweaking Sec PDAs, you could set them to a beeper mode where a quick click on the PDA alerts other Sec of your location instead of moving it into your hand. It could be used as a quick means of just checking in when the HoS asks everyone to beep. Or someone beeps without explanation, letting other Sec know something might be up where they are at.

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - atomic1fire - 08-13-2015

I'm kinda hoping for more impromptu crimers and crime rings using the giant station to hide from security.

Steal everything not bolted down, then horde it in maintenance.

atomic1fire Wrote:I'm kinda hoping for more impromptu crimers and crime rings using the giant station to hide from security.

Steal everything not bolted down, then horde it in maintenance.
Bring back gangs B)

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - Cogwerks - 08-13-2015

Fantastic security concern feedback, y'all. I'll do my best to work with these concerns.
A few quick thoughts:
1) I'll see if I can get someone to murder the godawful list-based sec camera computer and give those the AI's navigation and tracking methods.
2) The stack of red chutes behind the security front desk provide a two-way fast (risky) tube to the security checkpoints at north, west and south. Three chutes side-by-side are uggo, I'll see if I can set up something that has a 3-way directional output instead.
3) "Sec PDAs, you could set them to a beeper mode where a quick click on the PDA alerts other Sec of your location instead of moving it into your hand." Ye. You can activate the crisis alert from a verb already, I thiiink... try right-clicking and look at the list? pdasay lets you type without going through the interface. A simpler panic/check-in button would be cool though.
4) Segways could use improvement. I could/should also finish my cargo tug project, was gonna give li'l airport tractors to a bunch of departments but got discouraged by how ugly it looked when you turned 90 degrees while hauling trailers. Could just forget the linkage part for now though and have it be a vehicle with an embedded storage box, the vehicle itself works already. Easy enough to make a few colored versions and give one a siren.

[Image: eoYtnkG.png]
[Image: 3OCjv8k.png] [Image: v3UZTtL.png] [Image: XD87KqV.png] [Image: 2LNHShj.png]

This looks awful when turning in motion:

[Image: yCdps2Y.png][Image: yCdps2Y.png][Image: yCdps2Y.png][Image: eoYtnkG.png]

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - Dr_Bee - 08-13-2015

Neat, Golf carts in space. Also, any thoughts on giving Security officers and the HoS a medical implant automatically on spawn? with such a big station Sec officers are going to need every bit of help they can get. plus it would discourage people from murdering lone officers somewhat.

Oh gosh, when I see that I picture it moving like Snake or Tron Lightcycles.

I know what the HoS one should have attached to it.
[Image: 43e37fafa0af93e0d97d849967f4e5a0.jpg]

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - atomic1fire - 08-13-2015

Not to derail the thread (pun intended) but seeing that golf cart made me think a train sprite would also be fun.

And yes a group of protestors did actually bring a train blasting a marvin gaye song to a ferguson protest in the name of peace. That to me sounds exactly like an admin bus waiting to happen.

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - BaneOfGiygas - 08-14-2015

A couple more miscellaneous notes I should put here after some more time dicking around in the testbed:

- There is a public booze dispenser in the Jazz Lounge. Hell yes.
- Maybe some signs at the airbridges or other important junctions pointing to different important station faculties would be helpful, given how unbelievably huge this station is and how easy it is to get lost. It'll help new players know where the fuck they're going.
- There's more riot launchers and smoke shells in the armory even though there's also a supply in the main security storage area. I don't know why that's a thing.
- You can wear HeadSurgeon the box and scuttle around underneath a cardboard box, Solid Snake style. HELL yes.
- Security gets a larger supply of medicine than the single medkit and epinephrine bottle they have now, which is much appreciated for patching up officers and prisoners alike.
- The position of the PTL has a lot more potential for nastiness and misuse. This is not inherently a bad thing.
- The telesci lab is a lot neater and organized, with everything in nice, compacted crates instead of cluttered around on tables everywhere. Another plus.
- The chemlab and artifact lab are now directly conjoined, and the department as a whole seems much more tight-knit. Since research tends to be populated by isolationist wackos, this is a step in a good direction. Also, the tiny little private mixing room is a welcome addition.
- The entrances to the security wing are MUCH easier for crowd control, and probably won't have to be zealously guarded by an officer at all times to ensure that some random fuckface doesn't barge in and start stealing shit. The contraband crates are also lockable now, though it doesn't seem like they have any associated access levels with them. Not sure if that's a bug, but if it isn't, it might be a good idea to make them only openable and lockable by those with sec access.
- The quantuum telescope controls appear to be in the Research Director's office. The long-range teleporter has its own designated chamber. There's a new station called the Optics Lab with an industrial laser, a spectrometer, a workbench, and a DWAINE terminal. HELL YES.

All in all, even though I've expressed multiple concerns about how rounds are going to go, there's a lot to get hyped about here, and color me hyped as fuck.

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - BaneOfGiygas - 08-14-2015

BaneOfGiygas Wrote:There's a new room called the Optics Lab with an industrial laser, a spectrometer, a workbench, and a DWAINE terminal. HELL YES.
I can words good.

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - Ed Venture - 08-14-2015

Things I've noticed from the new security lobby as I was testing it.

-Not enough security equipment lockers, Security only comes with three when there should be atleast four

-Weapons in the armory are out in the open, they should be in lock lockers in the armory cause anyone can hack a door and boom they got lethal weapons

-The size of the station is going to spread security too thin. I feel this can be fixed by having more then once security outpost across the station or increasing the limit on how many people can sign up as security

-I was really hoping more small cells, but we just got two small cells and one big cell again.

-The interrogation room needs a lockdown button

-The Brig timers have yet to be added

-I feel like security as a whole is way too cramped AKA I feel like it is smaller then the security we have on Cogmap 1. It needs to be bigger.

-I feel like security will be harder to break in and out of but because the station is so big and security will be spread thin I feel like anyone attempting to break in to security will have all the time in the world to break in and hack the armory to get the defenseless weapons inside

As it stands I feel like the security we have on Cogmap1 is slightly better then what security is on Cogmap2 this list was are my biggest concerns with security. Cogmap2 looks amazing but most of the issues I saw with the layout of security became apparent almost immediately after I stepped into the room

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - pizzatiger - 08-15-2015

Ed Venture Wrote:Things I've noticed from the new security lobby as I was testing it.

-Not enough security equipment lockers, Security only comes with three when there should be atleast four

-Weapons in the armory are out in the open, they should be in lock lockers in the armory cause anyone can hack a door and boom they got lethal weapons

-The size of the station is going to spread security too thin. I feel this can be fixed by having more then once security outpost across the station or increasing the limit on how many people can sign up as security

-I was really hoping more small cells, but we just got two small cells and one big cell again.

-The interrogation room needs a lockdown button

-The Brig timers have yet to be added

-I feel like security as a whole is way too cramped AKA I feel like it is smaller then the security we have on Cogmap 1. It needs to be bigger.

-I feel like security will be harder to break in and out of but because the station is so big and security will be spread thin I feel like anyone attempting to break in to security will have all the time in the world to break in and hack the armory to get the defenseless weapons inside

As it stands I feel like the security we have on Cogmap1 is slightly better then what security is on Cogmap2 this list was are my biggest concerns with security. Cogmap2 looks amazing but most of the issues I saw with the layout of security became apparent almost immediately after I stepped into the room

I feel like having the armory weapons out in the open is a good thing. This allows players who don't want to buy an emag to actually have access to the armory if they are willing to risk hacking a bunch of doors. Plus a good hos can always lock the armory down from his office.

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - Sex_Robot - 08-15-2015

I get what Cog was going for with the armory, I really do but I can already see how it will play out:

1) Cogmap2 releases
2) Security is hardmode again as they learn the layout of the station
3) Thermiting or emagging your way to the armory instantly becomes super popular traitors will help themselves to everything and give what they don't need to Mechanics/QM/Assistants, the station becomes the wild west
4) As in the medbay when sometimes doctors set up at the beginning of the round by dumping a locker of medkits in the lobby, Heads Of Security will start the round by going into the armory, collecting all the weaponry into one of the contraband lockers and storing it in their office
5) Either the armory becomes a useless empty room because it will become standard practice to empty it at the start of the round, or the powers that be label doing that as metagaming and have to force players to use the map in a certain way.

I don't have a solution for this.

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - KikiMofo - 08-15-2015

Sex_Robot Wrote:3) Thermiting or emagging your way to the armory instantly becomes super popular traitors will help themselves to everything and give what they don't need to Mechanics/QM/Assistants, the station becomes the wild west

You obviously don't know cogwerks. He wants MORE bullets flying on station. More wild west.

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - Noah Buttes - 08-15-2015

Will the IR detectors in the armory actually work? Or will they be non-functional like the IR detectors in the current armory?

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that you can use packets to hack open secure lockers, so you still don't need an emag.

Re: Cogmap 2: Map Harder - Sex_Robot - 08-15-2015

KikiMofo Wrote:
Sex_Robot Wrote:3) Thermiting or emagging your way to the armory instantly becomes super popular traitors will help themselves to everything and give what they don't need to Mechanics/QM/Assistants, the station becomes the wild west

You obviously don't know cogwerks. He wants MORE bullets flying on station. More wild west.

I never said that was a bad thing, it's more a case as to how and why it can happen. Like a lot of things in this game really cool ideas don't account for the playerbases passion for running things into the fucking ground.