Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove the Genetics job and
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:... and once with hysterically wailing to security about someone stealing their Port-A-Gene, going into a long tirade about their glorious research and how they should be the only ones worthy of the machines, and even going to far as to attempt an incredibly bad justification for arresting them after getting borged and being told on multiple occasions to stop.

He then ahelped me and raged off the server. Also let someone die of a heart attack under the justification that he won't be jobbaned, he just has to clone them. I literally want to bomb genetics 2/3 rounds.
I support , to be honest. it's an easy change and it'd be just as easy to revert if we don't like it
I think making the genetics doors open to anyone with medbay access couldn't hurt, at the very least.
Cloning is a job done by the very best kind of ss13 players - the kind that actually want to help people out. People like doctors. Genetics research is done by people who want POWER (more specifically powers) and they want to focus on research and don't want to be disturbed. Of course this is a generalisation. You do get an occasional helpful geneticist and doctors who are only in it for the self healing. But youve got to think in terms of what usually happens. Why would it be so bad if doctors had a cloner? Lets hear it.
Roll genetics and pathology into 'medical research' and give the docs the cloners? Seems simple enough.
Honestly, making the cloner public-access presents its own problems. The reason geneticists are so insistent about keeping strangers out of genetics is in fact because of the cloners, which attract trouble like crazy. The general public fucking loves to rob the corpses, and most traitors will sabotage or destroy the cloners at the first real opportunity. The genetics door is the cloner's last (and only) line of defense against antags, miscreants, and general troublemakers, which is a big part of why geneticists so absolutely loathe opening the doors (and is also why they love fucking off to somewhere else with the Port-a-Gene: Genetics gets more than its fair share of bombings and rampages).

If the cloners go public, it might actually lower your chance of getting cloned, because the cloner will get knocked out of commission way more often than it does currently. Complain about the secretive geneticists not opening the doors for every corpse you drop next to their department, but they're the sole guardians and gatekeepers of the cloner, and the only thing preventing traitors from dumping hellchems into the cloning vat every round.
Erev Wrote:Roll genetics and pathology into 'medical research' and give the docs the cloners? Seems simple enough.
Here. this. this is best idea.
Maybe there's a reason the geneticists are often found hiding in pathology! they know where their home is.
The antag argument kind of falls flat when you consider the cloner is completely vulnerable to an attack from space. If a bad guy is determined to take the cloner out specifically, a single door isn't going to be an issue. The larger argument would be non-antags fucking with it just to be dicks,but I don't think having those doors be MD accessible would cause that problem to arise all that often.
Paineframe Wrote:Honestly, making the cloner public-access presents its own problems. The reason geneticists are so insistent about keeping strangers out of genetics is in fact because of the cloners, which attract trouble like crazy. The general public fucking loves to rob the corpses, and most traitors will sabotage or destroy the cloners at the first real opportunity. The genetics door is the cloner's last (and only) line of defense against antags, miscreants, and general troublemakers, which is a big part of why geneticists so absolutely loathe opening the doors (and is also why they love fucking off to somewhere else with the Port-a-Gene: Genetics gets more than its fair share of bombings and rampages).

If the cloners go public, it might actually lower your chance of getting cloned, because the cloner will get knocked out of commission way more often than it does currently. Complain about the secretive geneticists not opening the doors for every corpse you drop next to their department, but they're the sole guardians and gatekeepers of the cloner, and the only thing preventing traitors from dumping hellchems into the cloning vat every round.
I don't think anybody is really suggesting public access to the cloner. that would be bad. The general idea is to give the cloner to the department that actually wants to help people stay alive.
salix_catus Wrote:The general idea is to give the cloner to the department that actually wants to help people stay alive.

AKA the department that seems to spawn at least two scalpel-wielding lunatics per round.

Look, there's a problem with genetics the same way there's a problem with Security: When people want to grief the people playing the job for shits and giggles on the assumption that they aren't doing their job (even when they are), that's sure as shit not going to help them find the initiative to do that job.

Just last night I'd spent all round flitting from the modifier to the cloner, popping bodies in and prepping them and monitoring them while still doing my research. Someone busts in from the back dragging a body and starts calling us lazy assholes who aren't cloning anyone. The body he brought in was braindead, same as at least half the bodies we'd received. But every body that had been brought in that could be cloned had been cloned. That doesn't stop people from harassing us, either for the perceived notion that we're not doing our jobs or for the perceived notion that we can make them supergods in an instant.

We have to deal with all the grief security gets, with the added bonus of greedy motherfuckers begging us for superpowers and then not being satisfied when we do give them superpowers, and subsequently hanging around the office for the rest of the round asking why their laser eyes aren't working seriously you guys it's not there i keep clicking the button but i dont have powers even though the evidence of them can clearly be seeeeeen!!!! And then you have the type of person who will fuck up the APC to dick with genetics, despite the fact that the porta-genes don't require APC power but the cloner does. But no, I can totally still hear when someone drops a body off up at the top of the office or when someone comes into the morgue who ISN'T just some joyriding assistant, no, I'm psychic like that. I just get cheap thrills from wasting my psychic powers by dicking around with monkeys in a tube all day.

Here's a tip: Drop bodies off by the airlock that we can actually see if you want to get them cloned. Just to be sure, make sure you announce there's a body there over the radio (bonus points for using the medical channel, because the purple is attention-grabbing where the green blends together). See, the thing is that the DNA modifier window takes up at least half the screen. So you're either deaf or blind. I keep mine over the radio, because I can't keep up with that shit anyway, especially not while working. But if someone drops a body off outside the door, I drop what I'm doing and drag it in and run it through. No reason not to, it takes a minute at most. But for some reason people drop off bodies at the top of the office all the time - the part of the room that no geneticist ever has any godly reason to go to - and then they get pissy when we don't realize there's bodies there, and instead of bringing them where they can actually be seen, they just bust in through that window and come in anyway. So now on top of our work distracting us we have an influx of the aforementioned assholes either harassing us or begging us for free stuff or stealing free stuff from the corpses waiting to be cloned. This kind of behavior does not provide much incentive to actually help people. Frankly, I'm far more likely to give out free mutations to people who are just dropping in to clone a guy than I am to the assistant who stands outside the office all round waiting for one (though if he's patient about it he might still get it).

Also, a reason some geneticists don't do their job is because they're new and inexperienced (or afk half the time - this is a problem in any department). SS13 is pretty fast-paced sometimes, and a new player might find it hard to keep up with all the stuff they have to do. Keep also in mind that genetics is one of the few jobs that is actually super-important on the station. People don't sabotage engineering because they thing the engineers aren't doing their job (mostly because all engineers have disappeared by the two minute mark, and also because joe schmuck can't just break into engineering with a fire extinguisher and moxie).

So maybe, MAYBE don't jump to the conclusion that rendering genetics useless (making it impossible for them to do their job) is a way to get back at those lazy geneticists for not doing their jobs. And maybe don't punish ME for the fact that my partner is making me clone everyone by myself (when I'm even allowed to do that, because half the time I open the door to grab a corpse the person who brought it just drags it in and starts cloning them before I can even touch the body). Try to be nice and helpful to genetics without being obnoxious and maybe they won't need to be replaced by doctors. They're elitist jerks BECAUSE they care.
another great idea from kubius roll eyes (sarcastic)

while we're at it here why don't we r-wall the hop office so he can't leave

or have all of the engineers rigged to a bomb that will explode and kill them all if the engine goes offline
babayetu83 Wrote:or have all of the engineers rigged to a bomb that will explode and kill them all if the engine goes offline

RIP lynch mobs coming for engineers when they didn't start the singularity.

Honestly, I'd say the biggest factor preventing me from cloning people during a round is just not knowing they're there because everyone just tosses them at the area between the morgue, genetics, and robotics. Course with the portable machines I just move it up there now so I can see when someone drags a body up there or passes by dragging one down lower.

PS do not fuck with the genetics APC you're not accomplishing anything besides interfering with the issue you're bitching about now that those portable consoles don't need power.
Never not use the morgue chute.
Really, solving the problem of complete dicks with more dickery does nothing to solve the problem. Two wrongs don't make a right and all of that.
Doctors should have access to the cloner, as they are the ones primarily dealing with the influx of injured or dead. Geneticists have become way more standoffish than in the past and won't even let you near the cloner sometimes.