Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove the Genetics job and
just make Genetics require MD access, like Pathology. This will hopefully cut down on the growing pile of corpses outside genetics while J. Pubbie Fuckstick sits there obliviously questing away for the mutation god.
Berrik Wrote:just make Genetics require MD access, like Pathology. This will hopefully cut down on the growing pile of corpses outside genetics while J. Pubbie Fuckstick sits there obliviously questing away for the mutation god.

This is why we have roboticists.
There's no real reason to completely axe genetics, or at least there isn't any reason that can't be easily solved by other means. Furthermore, I get the sneaking suspicion that, instead of J. Pubbie Fuckstick the geneticist questing for the.mutation god, we'll instead have John R. Douchenozzle the Medical Doctor, or Timmy Pissbrains the Roboticist, and so on and so forth.

Mutation research is hyper-intensive and there should be a job designated to just that and nothing else. If we have Medics and whoever the fuck else has medbay access staring at terminal displays all day instead of those people, their ability to do their actual, more important jobs (Read: Healing people and borging people) will be wasted.

In short, this solves nothing and will most likely lead to the entirety of medbay staff poopsocking away at the consoles instead of actually healing people, which is even worse. As a result, this is a solid no from me.
I'm fairly sure we had this discussion about two months ago among coders, I'm not sure what the conclusion was though. I will say this: if corpses are piling outside Genetics, destroy the stationary DNA machine and steal the Port-A-Gene and hold it for ransom or space their monkeys or simply mutadone hypospray "J. Pubbie Fuckstick". Fucking with genetics is an art form similar to playing a clown.

If that's not working find the MD, HoP or Captain and have them demoted or replaced.
Marquesas Wrote:I'm fairly sure we had this discussion about two months ago among coders, I'm not sure what the conclusion was though. I will say this: if corpses are piling outside Genetics, destroy the stationary DNA machine and steal the Port-A-Gene and hold it for ransom or space their monkeys or simply mutadone hypospray "J. Pubbie Fuckstick". Fucking with genetics is an art form similar to playing a clown.

If that's not working find the MD, HoP or Captain and have them demoted or replaced.

To find the HoP you have to usually leave the Z level.
Marquesas Wrote:I'm fairly sure we had this discussion about two months ago among coders, I'm not sure what the conclusion was though. I will say this: if corpses are piling outside Genetics, destroy the stationary DNA machine and steal the Port-A-Gene and hold it for ransom or space their monkeys or simply mutadone hypospray "J. Pubbie Fuckstick". Fucking with genetics is an art form similar to playing a clown.

I find all using the consume command on their monkeys works well to get their attention.
Sam Guivene Wrote:

To find the HoP you have to usually leave the Z level.

Dirty nitpicker.
Trying to disrupt the geneticists is fine and dandy until you get frozen, lasered, and superfarted by invisible foes as soon as you step your dumb butt inside the room.
Amuys Wrote:Trying to disrupt the geneticists is fine and dandy until you get frozen, lasered, and superfarted by invisible foes as soon as you step your dumb butt inside the room.
Hellchems are a thing, as are tranq rifles, security bots, and buttbots
Being a jerk to geneticists is easy.

Grab a omnitool, some wirecutters and a screwdriver.

Find a APC no one is using (I like the apc in that spare room above the maintainence next to kitchen, as it's pretty concealed)

Learn the wire for a power outage.

Go to genetics if they aren't doing they're job and pulse that wire. The APC is literally in maintenance so you can sabotage genetics pretty easily.

If they can't do any cloning now they can't do any research either.

Then you crowbar in and mutadone smoke the place so all their hard work is ruined, and set fire to all their research papers if they have them lying around.

Note these things could get you murdered so you probably shouldn't take this advice seriously.

Is it really okay to bomb Genetics as a non-traitor just because they're not doing the aspects of the job that you want them to do?
The problem is that no one wants to mess with the geneticists because they fear that any interruption in their journey for superpowers will launch them into a bloodthirsty revenge quest against their perceived attacker for the rest of time and eternity forever. The worst part is, it's not even an unreasonable fear, I've seen it happen on two separate occasions; once with the brutal murder of someone who accidentally ate one of the Port-A-Genes with traitor gear as a non-traitor, and once with hysterically wailing to security about someone stealing their Port-A-Gene, going into a long tirade about their glorious research and how they should be the only ones worthy of the machines, and even going to far as to attempt an incredibly bad justification for arresting them after getting borged and being told on multiple occasions to stop.

Genetics is turning people into superpowered manchildren who don't want anyone messing with their toys and violently lashing out at anyone who they even think is messing with the toys. And not many people ever want to bother with that shit.
I love the port-a-genes in theory, but in practice I've just seen the geneticists go and fuck off to pathology isolation rooms where no one will ever find them.
Sam Guivene Wrote:

To find the HoP you have to usually transcend the boundaries of conventional time and space.
There we go.

But seriously, removing genetics is a bit much.

Ya, some shitty geneticists don't clone people, but sometimes some shitty people don't send them through the morgue chute, which is how geneticists know that a body is there. They get a little ping and a message, and bam, they know.

And if geneticists aren't doing their job despite it being incredibly obvious that they have bodies to clone, just do what Marq said. Make their life hell. They're neglecting the most important and easiest part of their job? Fuck 'em. You reap what you sow.
To clarify, I'm not saying remove the genetics department, just the job. Anyone with medbay access could then enter the room and access the cloner.