Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove the Genetics job and
Another part of the problem I didn't mention before is that in addition to not knowing where every dead person is on the station, doctors also don't know when a body is actually capable of being cloned or not. Even if a body isn't rotted, the player might have his DNR set to on, or they might have just fucked off to another server and thus just be braindead. When that happens, genetics ends up with a stack of unclonable bodies in its office, and jerks pass by the office and think "look at these lazy assholes" just because we haven't gotten around to reclaiming the bodies yet, since there isn't an active need for more biomatter. And nobody actually TRUSTS us to do our job even when we are. Even if someone does drag a body to where we can see it and asks us to open the door, half the time it's not so that we can take the body and clone it, they just barge on past us and do the cloning before we can even ask for the CHANCE to do our job. Then they just sit there waiting for the person to get cloned and in the meantime stare daggers at us like it's our fault the person died in the first place.

My comment about medic access = public access was made more under the assumption that you meant to make the cloner open to medbay, rather than making it another walled-off area with a medbay-access airlock, like the morgue or something (though at that point you may as well replace the morgue with it).

If I had to make another suggestion, though, and I probably already made it: Medics, if you want a geneticist to clone someone, here's your best ways to make sure they'll do it without being a grieflord:

1) Use the medical radio channel. Purple text is easy to see even when someone's not paying active attention. It at least assures they'll notice that the channel is being used if they can even see the radio window. This should improve chances they'll listen at least 30%.

2) Bring the bodies to the southwestern airlock. Seriously. Don't use the morgue, the morgue chute is 90% joy-riding assistants and changelings and traitors. Also, the roboticist is far more likely to go for those bodies. Bring them where we can see them without having to stop working. Personally I will always go to clone someone when someone does this (maybe not ALWAYS because I'm human and I forget sometimes, but I try), because it doesn't interrupt my workflow. I don't have to stop working just to go up and CHECK if there's bodies, because I'll KNOW there's a body.

3) Don't loiter. If you want to stay to make sure we take the body in, great, no problem. As long as you're not busting your way in, that's fine. But people hovering around us makes us paranoid, for the very fact that we're paying half-attention. At least 75% of my deaths as a geneticist have been because I couldn't get out of the modifier window fast enough to react, or because there's literally no way to react fast enough when a changeling is standing right behind you. So that sort of thing is a reason we're so paranoid.

4) If you're going to beg for powers, do it after the 30 minute mark or so, assuming someone's been in there working all round. It takes that long to get anything concrete, and anything before that is just shooting in the dark, and if we're activating stuff on you that soon, it's because we're just guessing, and you could end up with anything. So unless you want that, don't.

I'm with Marquesas, though, I think the whole thing is silly and blown out of proportion and frankly very silly. People break into genetics so goddamn much already, you might as well keep doing it if you're so impatient about it.
also i think it'd be nice if cyborgs could move bodies/people into the scanner/reclaimer whether it be a normal feature or through some kind of mediborg module

it'd make things go a bit more smoothly and help alleviate the problem
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:If we still want to preserve the dynamic, then that's all fine and good, but at the very least give us some kind of chute that lets us throw bodies right in the middle of the genetics lab instead of awkwardly leaving them at the airlock in the vain hope that they notice.

We could also have these chutes eject directly onto the positions at the consoles so we can throw toolboxes at geneticists who are being shit.

A chute could be pretty funny even if we already have the morgue deposit box. Maybe it deposits the body right next to the Geneticist and causes them to scream? That way their work isn't interrupted, but the scream gets them to see what the hell the problem is.

A bruise-covered, blood-soaked corpse flies out of the chute and lands next to Trent Genebro's feet! EEEK!
babayetu83 Wrote:also i think it'd be nice if cyborgs could move bodies/people into the scanner/reclaimer whether it be a normal feature or through some kind of mediborg module

it'd make things go a bit more smoothly and help alleviate the problem

It might not be the best idea for borgs to have the ability to reclaim bodies. Perhaps mediborgs should have a scanner of some sort to add a person to the database. That would give mediborgs the ability to help a busy geneticist, who may not be able to get to the influx of dead bodies.
There has been rounds I been the CE. And while doing things. (Managing my departments. checking on engineers, miners, etc. Fighting engine fires) I come across people who are killed doing their job.
I always have a full toolbelt on me and insulated gloves, SPECIALLY when I am the CE. So I drag the poor miner, engineer, whatever to medical to get him cloned. Normally I will bring him to the lower door. To see a pile of corpses just sitting there! ROTTING! Because the geneticist has their heads stuck up their own ass! So then I would hack the door open with a screwdriver, multitool, crowbar.
Then get bitched at by these assholes with superpowers because I broke into genetics after knocking on the window. Because I, THE CHIEF FUCKING ENGINEER is the one that is SCANNING PEOPLE INTO THE CLONER!

You know shit is BAD at that point. WORST PART IS! That happened WAY more then one time.

One time I end up having to clone people. I had to shoot a geneticist with a wavegun because they started attacking me for using the cloner. (This was before the Less than Lethal weapon was allowed to be acquired by heads of staff) And he wasn't even a traitor at the end of the round.

Something REALLY needs to be done.
Silvercloud29 Wrote:There has been rounds I been the CE. And while doing things. (Managing my departments. checking on engineers, miners, etc. Fighting engine fires) I come across people who are killed doing their job.
I always have a full toolbelt on me and insulated gloves, SPECIALLY when I am the CE. So I drag the poor miner, engineer, whatever to medical to get him cloned. Normally I will bring him to the lower door. To see a pile of corpses just sitting there! ROTTING! Because the geneticist has their heads stuck up their own ass! So then I would hack the door open with a screwdriver, multitool, crowbar.
Then get bitched at by these assholes with superpowers because I broke into genetics after knocking on the window. Because I, THE CHIEF FUCKING ENGINEER is the one that is SCANNING PEOPLE INTO THE CLONER!

You know shit is BAD at that point. WORST PART IS! That happened WAY more then one time.

One time I end up having to clone people. I had to shoot a geneticist with a wavegun because they started attacking me for using the cloner. (This was before the Less than Lethal weapon was allowed to be acquired by heads of staff) And he wasn't even a traitor at the end of the round.

Something REALLY needs to be done.

Hmm. I think this is one of those 'A rotten egg spoils the bunch' situations. I primarily play as Janitor or Roboticist when I'm on and I've seen all sorts of Geneticists. Some of them are so absorbed by research that I legitimately wonder if they're braindead, other times they've been my best buddy. I guess what I'm trying to say here is for every bad geneticist story people have, there's gonna be another player talking about how competent and nice they/their geneticist was. I don't think it offers much to the discussion by saying 'THESE GUYS ARE A PLAGUE' or 'THESE GUYS ARE GREAT AND EVERYONE ELSE IS A MORON', nor does encouragement of vandalism or violence, so let's talk about other means to solving the issue.

On one hand, I agree that the lower entrance is 90% of the time more effective than the top entrance. The geneticist can easily see a person with a body in tow this way and if that doesn't work I find that a knock or two on the glass is sufficient. The morgue chute works too, as does the Medical Frequency, but those aren't nearly as effective as shoving the body right in the geneticist's face.

I think the big issue is that the top entrance is just too far away from where the geneticists tend to hang out. Most of the important tech is located near the bottom while the top is dominated by a few lockers and some desk clutter. I'll admit I have little experience in genetics (aside from taking people there and cloning them when I can get access), but would anyone object to the genetics lab simply being made smaller? It really doesn't need to be as big as it is and if the gene consoles and cloners are closer to the rest of medical, it will be much easier to hear knocking on the window or things of that nature. I'm pretty sure someone suggested that already, but if not I think it would eliminate most of the problems. Geneticists get a chance to see and hear their patients better, and a mountain of bodies doesn't pile up just out of sight.

Worst comes to worst there can just be a red arrow/line on the medical tiles leading to the lower door complete with a 'cloning drop off' in neat little letters. That'll steer people in the right way at least, and it's often done in most hospitals.
You know, I once joked that there should be a corpse hunting/carrying version of the MULE bot, but one that hung around medbay and dropped bodies off at genetics could be a thing?
How about a PDA attachment that lets corpses and live people be uploaded to the cloner database? That way genetics nerds can get a minimal effort alarm that there's someone dead that needs reviving, and they have more of a reason to go out and get dead bodies for reclamation.
You can't tell people to do stuff.

It has to be obvious from the very structural layout of the station.

People need visual cues not lists of information to tell them how to do stuff.

you have to make stuff idiot proof because an alarming amount of players seem to not know how to do anything or don't want to learn.

The current system relies on the cooperation of other players(that or breaking the station law)and thorough pre-knowledge of how medbay works.

Leaving the current system in makes for a sort of conflict between doctors and geneticists that is really REALLY dull to be involved in, but that some admins seem to sadistically enjoy?

people who want the current system to stay are merely afraid of change.

changing the system would make the game more fun.

It increases the odds that you'll be cloned, which is a good thing because there's already a billion ways a body can get gibbed.

Not everybody's favorite role is traitor.

Some people actually want to help other people enjoy they're game experience.

So. who's fun would it ruin to make a change to the current setup?
The reclaimer, morgue, and chef all exist crumple. That is a horrible point you tried to make.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfyq3vhAJI8&t=1m5s
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:If we still want to preserve the dynamic, then that's all fine and good, but at the very least give us some kind of chute that lets us throw bodies right in the middle of the genetics lab instead of awkwardly leaving them at the airlock in the vain hope that they notice.

We could also have these chutes eject directly onto the positions at the consoles so we can throw toolboxes at geneticists who are being shit.
Sure! Maybe we could make the chute empty into a separate room that both the geneticists and roboticists have access to, so that both revival departments can revive people! And maybe we could rig up a system that audibly beeps all members of both departments - with both a noise and a different-colored text notification with an image next to it - that summons people to come clone!

Oh wait, that's the morgue chute that already exists. I only see two possible reasons to have a second chute going straight into Genetics:
A) to fuck over roboticists, since everyone will just dump bodies down the genetics chute
B) to fuck over geneticists, since petty thieves and murderers will use it to gain access to genetics and do crimes against the geneticists at will
This is a lot of arguing over something that is astoundingly unlikely to happen.