Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Naming food
We can name bots we build. We can name bees we nuture. Why can't we name food we cook?
Dammit I want to make a McNuclear Burger (uranium included)! We could just use a pen on some food and name away.
I like this idea. Why can’t we name our drinks with a pen, too?

I want to leave Dr. Mincine’s Health Tonic at the bar. (Warning: Contains radium. Keep away from servers.)
(01-29-2018, 01:21 AM)LuigiThirty Wrote: I like this idea. Why can’t we name our drinks with a pen, too?

I want to leave Dr. Mincine’s Health Tonic at the bar. (Warning: Contains radium. Keep away from servers.)

This, very much so. There's no point in making embarrassingly/creatively-named cocktails if you don't know what that embarrassing/creative name is.
There are hand labelers around that do basically this. They don't overwrite the base name of the object but add the extra stuff in parentheses. As barman, you can expect me to have "Bottle (Filtered Mineral Water)" for a bottle of urine and whatnot.

I'm not quite sure how or whether the pen idea should work for food, as some things look very similar. I can see a lot of people renaming brainburgers into cheeseburgers and causing problems that way.

EDIT: There was a suggestion somewhere for messing with the labels of bottles in a more comprehensive way, see here. Let's keep discussion related to bottle labelling there, and food labelling here.
So the argument is that we shouldn't allow naming because it will be abused?
I suppose some people may give their creations misnomers, however, changing the name should not affect the food description. Ergo the savvy crewmember may think twice about eating that strange "Happy Time Burger" with pink juice oozing out of it.
As for the pros, I feel being able to personalise your dishes brings a lot of potential to creating engaging stories from a shift. For instance, imagine if you could bake an introbeedril icing topped 'Captain's Birthbee' cake throwing a birthday bash ending in the birth of a bee. To me that seems more memorable than "yellow cake".
Eh, I'm with Mordent in that handlablers already fit the the role well enough.

If you want to make it more thematic, maybe they could be little tags attached to toothpicks that you poke into the food

What I would like personally, and this is a bit elaborate, would be a menu where you can photograph items and add a name and description for them and someone could look at that and ask for that there.
(01-29-2018, 06:44 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Eh, I'm with Mordent in that handlablers already fit the the role well enough.

If you want to make it more thematic, maybe they could be little tags attached to toothpicks that you poke into the food

What I would like personally, and this is a bit elaborate, would be a menu where you can photograph items and add a name and description for them and someone could look at that and ask for that there.

why do we not have a way of putting like, camera pictures onto papers
(01-29-2018, 07:55 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: why do we not have a way of putting like, camera pictures onto papers

good point
I suppose hand labellers will do. Would it be possible to add one to the kitchen's of each map then?

Also I think putting pictures onto paper was intended to be a feature at some point, because there are at least two scanner which take a picture but you can't do much with them. Menus would be nice I'm not fussed.
(01-30-2018, 12:35 PM)Tombi Wrote: I suppose hand labellers will do. Would it be possible to add one to the kitchen's of each map then?
I like it. +1 to this opinion.
(01-31-2018, 12:36 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 12:35 PM)Tombi Wrote: I suppose hand labellers will do. Would it be possible to add one to the kitchen's of each map then?
I like it. +1 to this opinion.
Yes, and on a related note, I'd like more hand labellers on the station in general. Perhaps in office supply lockers and such.
Throw one in the Barman’s little supply cabinet too since he doesn’t have kitchen access.