Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future cloning.
Some people think the ease of cloning makes life cheap. And doctors useless, why bother with healing and cpr when cloning is a fix-all.

Cloning is also much easier than robotics; you just stick a body in the machine and punch a few buttons. For a borg, you need source materials, and a little time to put it all together.

What if to produce a clone you need to put some effort, like a botanist to grow a tray of stuff.
You would have to load the cloner with source materials. Flesh (synth, monkey, human), blood, oxygen, maybe some optional extras (hairgrownium, or clones come out hairless). And electricity, think Frankenstein.

You put in the body to clone, you load the ingredients, set a temperature and voltage, and let the machine run. Every once in a while you take a peek at how the clone is coming out.
It could start developing defects or serious anomalies that you would have to correct -think like a plant withering or watered too much- maybe changing the heat up or down, adding more flesh of a specific type (too little human flesh and tumors start to grow), or changing the current voltage.

I don't mean to turn cloning into a cryptic process, just something that requires a bit of interaction, so it can't happen all by itself. Think hydroponics, but with bodies.
Quote:like a botanist to grow a

why

Asking a Botanist or a Miner to do something seems to be everyone's go-to reaction to trying to make something harder. The fact of the matter is that if your job requires someone else to do THEIR job, you're going to be waiting at least 20 minutes a round for all that shit to work out, and nobody wants to do that ever.

Instead of that, I think it should be related to how Strange Reagent works. For that, the body will be destroyed if it's too damaged when revived. Geneticists should have a set of surgical tables and Medical Computers, allowing them to identify what killed the patient (and maybe have a door so the detective can join in).

When they've identified cause of death, they can repair the body. Simply using droppers of kelotane or hyposprays or whatever heals a body slightly post-death; make it a medical-supply-intensive job, and then rather than RELYING on Botany, they only get enhanced by them.

Chuck a reagent extractor, a Medical Manufacturer that makes patches and droppers and shit, and ye olde Clonér for when you've repaired the body, and then it'll be less simple and cheap.
Weavel Wrote:When they've identified cause of death, they can repair the body. Simply using droppers of kelotane or hyposprays or whatever heals a body slightly post-death; make it a medical-supply-intensive job, and then rather than RELYING on Botany, they only get enhanced by them.

sounds morbid & gross
I love it
I have a similar idea to the first part of this, that makes it slightly harder, but still doable.

The cloning machine cannot CREATE new matter, so it requires old flesh to make cloned bodies. For this, you must insert monkey/synthflesh into some kind of "Matter Extractor" before cloning the person, to make sure you have enough materials to make a new body.

To start, you can simply kill the monkeys that you don't want to test on for matter, and then when you run out, your job gets slightly harder. Now, you can:
  • Steal monkeys from the ValuChimp
  • Order monkey crates from QM
  • Make some beakers of synthflesh
  • Ask some science guys to make you some synthflesh
  • Turn dead bodies into monkeys and use them
  • Kidnap Albert and Mr. Rathens
To get more materials.
For this to work, someone would need to sprite a new machine to go with genetics, to put these monkeys in, as well as a sprite for when the machine is active. You could just use that horrible human-blender from the diner for a sprite, though.

Also, when Emagged, the machine accepts dead/living humans. Like a horrible science furnace!
Weavel Wrote:
Asking a Botanist or a Miner to do something seems to be everyone's go-to reaction to trying to make something harder. The fact of the matter is that if your job requires someone else to do THEIR job, you're going to be waiting at least 20 minutes a round for all that shit to work out, and nobody wants to do that ever.

Hey, did your eyes cross and your brain swell when you read botanist?

I didn't say "hound the botanist for synthflesh", I said to make geneticists grow clones in a way that requires maintenance, like botanists grow their plants; it's a similitude, dumme.

Xenonia Wrote:To start, you can simply kill the monkeys that you don't want to test on for matter, and then when you run out, your job gets slightly harder. Now, you can:
  • Steal monkeys from the ValuChimp
  • Order monkey crates from QM
  • Make some beakers of synthflesh
  • Ask some science guys to make you some synthflesh
  • Turn dead bodies into monkeys and use them
  • Kidnap Albert and Mr. Rathens
To get more materials.
For this to work, someone would need to sprite a new machine to go with genetics, to put these monkeys in, as well as a sprite for when the machine is active. You could just use that horrible human-blender from the diner for a sprite, though.

Also, when Emagged, the machine accepts dead/living humans. Like a horrible science furnace!

This is part of what I am saying. But I other than getting flesh, I'd like geneticists to adjust or correct the clone while it is growing, so they won't just start the process and forget about it.

A machine that grinds fleshy-things into a slurry already exists, by the way.
Clarks Wrote:This is part of what I am saying. But I other than getting flesh, I'd like geneticists to adjust or correct the clone while it is growing, so they won't just start the process and forget about it.

A machine that grinds fleshy-things into a slurry already exists, by the way.

1. That's real boring, and no other job except engineer has to do that. Botanists just have to pour tons of mutriant and gro-boost into their plants then ignore them for half an hour, come back, harvest them, and extract for seeds. I think getting the flesh is just enough of a challenge to prevent geneticists from ignoring everything forever.

2. I know that, that's what I meant by "the human-blender in the diner".

3. No need to be so rude to Weavel
Clarks Wrote:Hey, did your eyes cross and your brain swell when you read botanist?

I didn't say "hound the botanist for synthflesh", I said to make geneticists grow clones in a way that requires maintenance, like botanists grow their plants; it's a similitude, dumme.

christ you're right, I apologise

Either way I do love my own idea, I don't think genetics needs to become another wait-for-something-so-you-can-do-something waiting game job.
I like the idea of having multiple sources of bio-matter being used. Synthflesh, raw steaks, monkeys, dead humans, live humans...

The postmortem healing back to life thing could also be a good thing, but should probably be available to medical doctors and doesn't need to be in Genetics.
Also, after acquiring the bio-matter, baking a clone should be a quick process, and then letting the clone "cool down" on a special cooking table before gaining consciousness. The cooling table won't be necessary, but would help to prevent defects.
These are neat ideas, but if you had a freshly dead body that you wanted to clone, and you needed raw materials to do it, couldn't you just scan the DNA and then cram the barely-rotten corpse into the cloner to make up most of the biomatter for the job?

Also I can't help but think about the proposed Martian gamemode that was being played around with a while back (whatever happened to that?) where the aliens would stick humans into dissolving vats or whatever to get their biomatter. Maybe the new cloners are stolen Martian technology.
How about, instead of adding a bunch of stuff in, you just promote more interdependence with what's already there? Make cloning only able to clone monkeys. You don't just toss a body in the scanner, press a button, and they're good to go. You clone a monkey body for them, cut out the brain, stick it in the new body, (Insert step here that's basically strange reagent without having to rely on chemistry) and then use the DNA modifier to make them human again.

There, cloning is now a more involved, more hands-on process. It requires greater knowledge of genetics to work effectively, they have to use the operating tables in medbay, or farm out bodies to doctors and roboticists to get the brains removed, and most importantly we'll be able to clone monkeys!
Haha, human->monkey->human cloning is pretty much how cloning used to work back in the day. It... kinda sucked.

My suggestion would be to make cloning require a living test subject to scan, AND a viable brain for transplant. This could encourage geneticists to wait for doctors to at least stabilize a body that is in crit, rather than stealing the wounded so they'll die in the lab and get cloned.

Scan someone's DNA before death and keep it on file like insurance. Maybe even charge for that if you'd like to. If someone died and didn't bother getting insurance, well, maybe you'll just toss their brain into a monkey or some junk dna clone you had laying around. If some genetic markers between the brain and the cloned body don't match up right, you could get a whole nice mess of disabilities to fix maybe.

As part of this, it could be rad to have a shock paddle thing be part of activating clones, and maybe make the cryo tanks keep brainless bodies alive.
Weavel Wrote:

why

Instead of that, I think it should be related to how Strange Reagent works. For that, the body will be destroyed if it's too damaged when revived. Geneticists should have a set of surgical tables and Medical Computers, allowing them to identify what killed the patient (and maybe have a door so the detective can join in).

When they've identified cause of death, they can repair the body. Simply using droppers of kelotane or hyposprays or whatever heals a body slightly post-death; make it a medical-supply-intensive job, and then rather than RELYING on Botany, they only get enhanced by them.

Chuck a reagent extractor, a Medical Manufacturer that makes patches and droppers and shit, and ye olde Clonér for when you've repaired the body, and then it'll be less simple and cheap.

I actually like this idea, for the simple fact that it makes the geneticist the mortician of the game, rather then one of the easiest jobs at it's base.

I mean genetics now consists of throw body in cloner, fix dna, throw them out into the world.

This at least could bridge security and medbay with forensics a little bit, since most people send bodies to genetics anyway.
I don't like the idea of requiring a person to come in alive to be scanned and get cloned, but that would certainly make the process easier.

What if we keep the DNA scanning process we have now for live people; pop into a pod, geneticist presses a button, and off you go, content in your new-life insurance policy. If you come in already dead on the other hand...

It should be difficult to obtain someone's DNA, harder depending on the cause of death. Beaten to a pulp? Get some blood, try to work with that. Burned to death by welders? Cut him open, try and get a marrow sample or something. Death by toxins? I dunno, pump him full of anti-toxin to try and neutralize it and get a stable sample or something?

Likewise, if someone is killed by a changeling, it'll be impossible to clone them, seeing as there's no DNA left in them at all, and should be difficult for vampire victims, seeing as there's no readily accessible blood left in them.

Also, we might want to remove the ability to clone husks that were injected with a new UI and/or SE. That always felt like something of an exploit whenever I did it.

Of course, if we made it impossible to clone the already dead, it'd give Robotics more of a job, so there's that.
Well with my idea you'd still be able to put the dead person's brain into a new body if the brain hasn't been without oxygen for too long (brains stored in jars ???), but if they didn't have the insurance of scanning their live dna, they'd get put into some junk clone instead.