Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gnarticle Accelerator v2
Star 
I made a post about a Gnarticle accelerator a while ago, but it didn't really go anywhere, so here is a revamped version:

The Gnarticle Accelerator would be purchased from Josh for a very high price, and would be a multiple-part device that comes in pieces and needs to be assembled manually. It would come with 17 parts, as well as instructions on how to build it, complete with a picture of the finished product:
  • x14 Accelerator walls: Must be placed in the form of two parallel 7-tile long walls, one tile apart from eachother.
  • x1 Accelerator conduit A: Placed at one of the open ends of the walls, and part of how the accelerator generates power. This part must be constructed on top of a wire for the accelerator to generate power, preferably connected to a SMES Unit instead of being wired directly into the grid.
  • x1 Accelerator conduit B: Placed at the other open end of the walls, this is the other part of how the accelerator generates power, as well as how you get inside once the accelerator is constructed (see below)
  • x1 Access panel: Placed on an accelerator wall touching conduit B. When used, toggles conduit B open and closed so skateboarders can access the inside of the accelerator. If you have multiple accelerators, you can also sync their access panels together with a multitool so they can both be opened at the same time.
So now I have built the thing, now what?
Now you should have a nice 3x7 tunnel that vaguely resembles a half pipe. At this point, to start generating power, you will need someone with a skateboard to go inside, then have someone else use the access panel to seal the tunnel. After that, the person inside need to start skating. Power is produced whenever someone on a skateboard does a trick off of one of the conduits, but you must alternate between the conduits to generate power; hitting the same conduit twice in a row won't do anything. Every time you hit a conduit, it also increases the power output, with the surge fading over time; this boost stacks, so hitting the conduits faster will allow the accelerator's output to grow exponentially. Someone at skate nirvana skating between the conduits will produce power at a rate comparable to a respectable hellburn, and power output can be further increased by having the skater wear a hoodie and have energy drink in their bloodstream.

Large Hardcore Collider
Now, remember how I said that you can sync two access panels together? It is possible to construct two gnarticle accelerators with both conduit B's facing eachother, so when opened up, the gnarticles will fly into eachother. If both skaters are at skate nirvana and have been in the accelerator long enough(It has to be with the accelerators, not just any two skaters who achieved skate nirvana through other means), then when the accelerators are opened and the gnarticles slam into eachother, it will result in a DETONATION OF SKATE ENERGY, causing horrible RADICAL things to happen across the entire z-level. What actually happens, though, I haven't come up with any ideas that are cool enough for such an event. Whatever it is, though, it should probably be horrible RADICAL enough to warrant an automatic shuttle call, because the station itself cannot handle that level of skate energy, and it will take a while for cargo to acquire the funds necessary to buy two gnarticle accelerators anyway.
Question: if you buy several skateboards and have several skaters inside does their power increase with each skater?
(01-03-2018, 09:09 PM)Skunkrocker Wrote: Question: if you buy several skateboards and have several skaters inside does their power increase with each skater?

I failed to take this into consideration when I wrote the suggestion so I am just going to say that if you try to put more than one skater in the same accelerator it causes a weaker Skate Energy Detonation, breaking the accelerator and sending skateboards and energy drinks flying everywhere.
I have followed this line of discussion on Discord and would like to repeat my notes on negative b-ball proton x gnarticle interactions
(01-04-2018, 12:20 PM)Sitoutumaton Wrote: I have followed this line of discussion on Discord and would like to repeat my notes on negative b-ball proton x gnarticle interactions

Yes. On the rare occasion that a high-velocity gnarticle collision occurs during the negative b-ball proton surge leading up to a chaos dunk, that something absolutely horrifying should happen. One suggestion that was brought up would be that the combination of SICK TRICKS and Professional Athlecticism would end up summoning the Macho Man from the elemental plane of wrestlemania, but I am sure someone else can think of another horrifying outcome.
(01-04-2018, 03:07 PM)Lord Birb Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 12:20 PM)Sitoutumaton Wrote: I have followed this line of discussion on Discord and would like to repeat my notes on negative b-ball proton x gnarticle interactions

Yes. On the rare occasion that a high-velocity gnarticle collision occurs during the negative b-ball proton surge leading up to a chaos dunk, that something absolutely horrifying should happen. One suggestion that was brought up would be that the combination of SICK TRICKS and Professional Athlecticism would end up summoning the Macho Man from the elemental plane of wrestlemania, but I am sure someone else can think of another horrifying outcome.

Rando critter spawns and some people getting hit with positive/neutral mutations, with said victims being told they were hit with a stray free radical. In rare cases some people are now critters.

Hulk do not punch the plasma spores.

I just think that if you are hit with a free radical then radical things should happen to you.
(01-04-2018, 04:01 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Rando critter spawns and some people getting hit with positive/neutral mutations, with said victims being told they were hit with a stray free radical. In rare cases some people are now critters.

I just think that if you are hit with a free radical then radical things should happen to you.

YES THIS IS BRILLIANT
A SKATE ENERGY DETONATION HAPPENS, FREE RADICALS FLY EVERYWHERE, AND IF YOU GET HIT BY ONE RADICAL THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU.
Also the skaters who actually collided and caused the detonation should each have a 50/50 chance of receiving every free radical effect at once or instantly gibbing, with only their skateboard left behind.
(01-04-2018, 04:48 PM)Lord Birb Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 04:01 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Rando critter spawns and some people getting hit with positive/neutral mutations, with said victims being told they were hit with a stray free radical. In rare cases some people are now critters.

YES THIS IS BRILLIANT
A SKATE ENERGY DETONATION HAPPENS, FREE RADICALS FLY EVERYWHERE, AND IF YOU GET HIT BY ONE RADICAL THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU.
Also the skaters who actually collided and caused the detonation should each have a 50/50 chance of receiving every free radical effect at once or instantly gibbing, with only their skateboard left behind.

Another sort of radical effect should be limb replacements.

Why did your legs turn into treads? because it's radical.

Or body paint: your whole sprite changes hues as if you were painted. In addition to things like various cool mutations and accents. Perhaps your clothes could even change to "radical" versions of existing clothes.
2 skaters, 2 halfpipes. One forms the "rad loop" and the other forms the "gnarloop". Skaters must trick in some coordinated fashion to create a totally tubular connection between the rad and gnar loops. If one loop's dope levels get too far out of sync with the other, a sick nasty explosion happens that shreds the skaters and halfpipes into a steezy mess.
Bumping because this is such a ridiculously amazing idea that I fucking need in my life now.

As an alternative/addition to this, a skate nirvana skater skating directly into a singulo should produce a GNARLY amount of energy. And radiation, because that's RAD!
You ought to be able to construct new SMES units to make this easier to construct in i.e. the public market.
Why are the gnarticles used to make electricity specifically? Between the TEG, local generators and Singlo I don't think engineers will ever need or want another way to make power. Not to mention goonstation already has a very low need for power with it waking ~30 minutes for anybody to even notice if the engine is off. Other than for the lulz I don't see why anybody would ever actually want to buy or use this.

With all of the crazy things you're describing these particles as doing, it honestly seems like a rather uninspired let-down for the end result to just be electricity. Maybe instead stable gnarticles could be used in chemistry? Like they could have the practical use of recharging stamina and other drugs. That way if you set up one of these generators it would help medical makes cool pills that pump up stamina and other such things, and science could make interesting recipes from it. Possibly also just doing experiments with the gnarticles themselves Cern style.
Let engineering sell spare energy in batteries for money, Gnarticles get you "Dosh"
Use them to open a portal to an interdimensional skate park
how about, just, whenever two space nirvana skaters get close/collide, they emit Gnarticles, which can be harvested for energy from radiation collectors? No big fancy machinery, just building some girders, slapping some rad collectors down, and letting the skateboarding commence.