Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remove musical instrument bits from nanofab, have instruments directly craftable
Making a musical instrument out of custom materials in the nanofab is one of the most time-consuming tasks in the game, for pretty much no reason. For the most part, anyone who enjoys figuring out the recipes has already derived all possible enjoyment from doing so, and even they don't end up doing it much because it still takes a metric ton of materials and time and fiddly bits. It's way too much of a chore just for a soulsteel saxophone that plays itself, or a golden fiddle to complete your Faustian bargain kit.

Remove the million fiddly instrument bits and multi-step process to make a custom instrument, and just have instruments directly craftable with a single button press.
(12-22-2017, 07:24 PM)Roomba Wrote: Making a musical instrument out of custom materials in the nanofab is one of the most time-consuming tasks in the game, for pretty much no reason. For the most part, anyone who enjoys figuring out the recipes has already derived all possible enjoyment from doing so, and even they don't end up doing it much because it still takes a metric ton of materials and time and fiddly bits. It's way too much of a chore just for a soulsteel saxophone that plays itself, or a golden fiddle to complete your Faustian bargain kit.

Remove the million fiddly instrument bits and multi-step process to make a custom instrument, and just have instruments directly craftable with a single button press.

Especially because the operation time on attaching each musical instrument component is QUITE lengthy.

I used to try to make bagpipes to hand out at the shuttle with my spare cobryl and etc. to have fancy-pants cacophony, but at least FEELS like a couple minutes per bagpipe to assemble.
Hi I hate the confusing recipes and want them to go away!!
+1
Someone explain why the bagpipes isn't a chef recipe?
Haggis + Bike Horn + shattered light tube on high for 9 seconds
I like the idea behind how craftable instruments work. If there was ever something added to the game that worked similarly, such as artifact combinations, then I'd say leave this in as a kind of way to practice it. Otherwise I agree
Again, let me restate, it's WORTH restating how ridiculous the time delay on adding components to an instrument is. These are not weapons. These are purely fluff. Why is it not instant? At least then it'd only take like 10 seconds to make an instrument and would be worth doing.
Oh yeah, you're right. There shouldn't be a delay if the challenge is about how to put it together
Bumping this because people were complaining about this in the Discord earlier. There really is no reason for the instrument recipes to be A) secret, B) ridiculously time-consuming and C) extremely materials intensive, all for something that makes a funny noise when you blow in it.
Confusing recipes should only be used to balance OP chems not silly items that play music. I don't know how anyone thought this needed to be a thing.
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment. If the instrument making delays are supposed to limit the amount of annoying sounds, the "cooldown" between each use of instrument already does a pretty good job of that.

If making the things directly craftable is already too much, then at least reduce/remove the delay between each crafting. It's unreasonably long; some one in the discord mentioned they in the time and materials it'd take for them to make one of the instruments, they could have made a toolbox-ful at least of pipebombs in that time, out of those materials.
Idea tangentially related: Allow instruments to be smashed against people or objects, reducing them to their core components