Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Non-Space Station Maps
Because it doesn't need to be just space stations.

This suggestion is mostly about having at least a few of the space station maps be in different places than just space for the sake of variety. We already have almost everything needed to add a special underwater facility map, but I think we can do some other locales too, such as:

-an outpost on Mars or some other alien planet
-a floating facility in the atmosphere of a gas giant (might need the most work)
-a moon colony

Depending on the amount of effort coders want to put into this, we can even go as far as to change the debris field z-level to match those areas (and maybe tweak the debris field locations themselves to match as well). How's this sound?
I suggest trying to start making a map for yourself to get an idea of how deep the scope of this idea is. Most of the core fundamentals are unchanged since the 2016 release: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...ree/master
i mean, there's alcatraz station which is sorta unique, but also on indefinite hiatus because arborinus has fallen in the line of duty

map making is surprisingly annoying is the main problem
Learn 2 map 2day
Even though there've been hints about possibilities, I'm not holding my breath for an underwater facility. Especially if it uses the flood pathing. Sealab13 would be super neat, but I just don't think byond can handle heavy use of both systems of fluid dynamics. Not without limiting player freedom by a good bit.

A mars-like outpost is doable. We already have tons of resources to scavenge thanks to goon eating mars station. It'd be pretty neat too!

Good luck with that. hell yeah man
If we wanted mars station we could move the contents of the station that are vital to the mars outpost through telescience...
And that would kill some of the lore having a Martian station, but maybe a mars like planet station might work, as for the ocean staton, please no, not without drains almost everywhereon station to send that water back out of the station.
Neither Clarion nor Destiny are stations.

But, for reals, Alcatraz looked awesome and I hope it gets finished. I agree a sealab station would be a bit much for an actual station and probably a nightmare of lag as a result, but I do think it would be an awesome telesci adventure zone.
i think sealab could work, just resprite space tiles to be water tiles (water is fukken cold and being frozen slows you down) to simulate it being flooded. and i think "muh lore" is a bad excuse to not do something
Lore and immersion are always a bad reason to not do something
eh vOv
I feel very meh about any kind of underwater station. Doesn't seem like it offers anything we don't already get from being in space.

I think what's more interesting are stations purpose built for population sizes and department emphasis. For instance, a station that's Max built for only around 10 people, with pretty much one person entirely in charge of research, medical, or security. Something cramped, without the full convienences of a full ship or station, that's prone to occasional blackouts because they rely on solars rather than a proper engine

Where the lone antag really needs be careful about how and when they strike because it's so cramped that anyone can walk in on them at any time. Something that's more Ridley Scott than James Cameron
Concept picture for Pod Station:
[Image: 1PN3sRb.png]
I don't know about non-space but I think it would be cool if there was a map where a shuttle ferried people between all the departments. If not a space station, why not several.

The arrivals shuttle would ultimately serve as a single point of transportation and communication for people because people would be sharing it (unless the engineering department travels to each location and builds their own teleporter grid.

As per how spawns could work, I sorta imagine there'd be a little check in area that the arrivals shuttle could stop at and pick people up before bringing them to any of the departments.

For living quarters, there could be small "micro" living quarters, consisting of a microwave, beds, fridge, and health vendor. Some of these would be popped into various departments.

A single ferry would stop at each station so that people could travel between all of them, but the individual departments would be heavily isolated as a result of being spaced far apart and relying on one or two points of transportation. (three if you count space pods)

Bombings would be a lot less disruptive since displaced crewmen could go be reassigned to other departments.

The supply/R&R station would also carry the docking bay for the escape shuttle. since the ferry would be a cheap ship only capable of short distance travel. Although crewmen could offer spacepod rides to people to reach all the locations.

Sticking with the theme that each department is it's own station, Perhaps the head of each department could name them all with a computer.

For instance Prison station is now Do the Crime Pay the Time Penitentiary.

Also Bridge would be part of the prison station, while supply station would carry HoP's office.

Alternatively the Ferry would also carry an ID computer so that HOP could do ID's on the road.
I remembered an old concept I saw someone post on the subreddit a while back: a sort of makeshift "salvage station" made from several damaged smaller ships and stations crudely welded together and repurposed as the different departments.
(12-20-2017, 06:49 PM)Grek Wrote: Concept picture for Pod Station:
[Image: 1PN3sRb.png]

i like this. or like atomicfire said, with shuttles between each. would be interesting