Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Roach Sprites
I would have submitted this as a DMI if I had any idea how to do that.

Since the roach is now a mob that players can get very often, as when they die they have a chance to respawn as one if they wish, I felt it was high time the little buggers got a sprite update.

Here ya go.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=216]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gah, grody!

Looks great, is it setup for hair color tinting like the space mouse is now?
This is great!!
Doesn't this make roaches sorta of absolutely massive now?
(12-12-2017, 10:50 AM)Mageziya Wrote: Doesn't this make roaches sorta of absolutely massive now?

This is what radiation/plasma does to cockroaches, obviously.
This level of detail is positively terrifying. Ack.
(12-12-2017, 08:26 AM)Grifflez Wrote: Gah, grody!

Looks great, is it setup for hair color tinting like the space mouse is now?

"Did you hear that? Grody! Nice compliment, eh Rodney?"

No, but that can be arranged I'm sure!

(12-12-2017, 08:59 AM)Sundance Wrote: This is great!!

Glad you like it.

(12-12-2017, 10:50 AM)Mageziya Wrote: Doesn't this make roaches sorta of absolutely massive now?

They are space roaches, after all... like space wasps, and space bees, they're a little extra large.

(12-12-2017, 11:37 AM)Mordent Wrote: This is what radiation/plasma does to cockroaches, obviously.

...or they're just Fallout radroaches, sure why not.

(12-12-2017, 12:10 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: This level of detail is positively terrifying. Ack.

Best comment. v

I do have to be honest, by the way, this is an edit of an existing sprite from a video game, but I did edit it a lot and I can edit it further if need be. I just needed a base to get started.
Hmm after a little more thought, if it could be a little smaller to be roughly the same size as a space mouse, it'd be perfecto!

I think as it is right now, it's a little too big to safely hide under tables when evading janitors/violent space mice gangs
How's this? Colorization options, smaller sprites, and comparison sprites.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=217]

Do you think you can make it a bit more cartoony? I feel too much detailing makes it too realistic and not fitting the mood of the game
Sure!

Also I realized something when playing as a mouse a minute ago, from certain angles the roach at that size and drawn like that would look REALLY weird, so I took a cue from the space mouse and made a different, better sprite.

Presenting... Roachie, 2.0!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=218]

Grayscaling it would be appreciated.
Spoke with ZeWaka on Discord about the sprite, done some additional work and produced this sheet.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=219]

The all new roach sprite (btw, this was hand drawn, unlike my previous one), a comparison sprite, and an example of what it would look like if the player had blue hair and green eyes.

What do you think? Final? Needs work? What's up? v

It looks pretty damn good. Personally feel the squished sprite could use a bit more squishing/bug juice to match the original though.
(12-12-2017, 08:30 PM)Zafhset Wrote: It looks pretty damn good. Personally feel the squished sprite could use a bit more squishing/bug juice to match the original though.

I adjusted that. Hope you like!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=220]