Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GoonStation Murdevolution 2018 : Training Scenario
As old players and new players meet there are some differences of opinion concerning dealing with possible antags or non-antags. Goon certainly feels friendlier than it did 5 years ago around the hallways / med-bay / explanations / etc. Since there is already a security thread I was hoping we could all share some of our own ideas, old players and new players, of how we would deal with a common event now-a-days. Last, I wanted to again apologize to the admin(you know who you are!). This admin took the time off on their Friday night, while playing another game, to quit that game and join ss13 to check on issues. I should have taken the discussion to the forum and very much appreciate them taking the time out of their own Friday night to check silly game problems. Shouldn't have tried to have this conversation with you because drama is unnecessary.

Possible Virtual Reality Scenario:

While walking through the corridors, suddenly, a maintenance door directly to your left opens! Surprised you witness a fast moving gray thing flee from the confines of the dark ended maintenance passageway, oh no! It is coming directly towards you!

You are being attacked by a random crewmember! Drats!

You do know there are bad guys around the station. 
Using your quick wit and fast lips you shout angrily "HEY STOP" into the crewmembers hearing holes. This crewmember does not speak back to you and now is currently beating you in the face with their fists.  
Now your face has been punched so much as to in critical damage. You will begin taking oxygen damage soon and become unable to speak.

Oh no!

You are now knocked completely unconscious! 

While staring into the unwavering darkness of your previous existence, for some reason at this point you are optimistic that this murderous person might just be roleplaying or pranking you accidently. 
You hear a sound like that of a human torpedo, as some girl from hydroponics removes your body and face from the punch attacks. 
This friendly hydroponics girl drags you far down the hallway, stops and asks you "Whats goin on over there my dude, you should make like a tree and grow bark". 
As you attempt to respond you realize you are no longer breathing and now taking oxygen damage.

You are unable to speak and only gasp for delicious oxygen!

Out of the corner of your eyes you barely have time to notice your assaulter coming back. You land two devastating blows to his one blow and even though you are in crit and gasping for air now, he is knocked out. You are moving slow and begin collapsing from your face pounding and through your experience in the game realize you would never outrun this person using your own oxygen depleted feet.

Which path of the story do you decide to follow?

First Response 

Murder the crewmember which never spoke to you nor took any other actions besides trying to kill you. You do not throw their corpse into space or send it to the crusher. When this all works out you leave the corpse there for someone else to deal with.

Second Response

Call for security and wait for this crewmember to wake up while trying to heal or make it to medbay. You have now made your way into medbay healing your lack of oxygen as well as curing your severe punched in face disorder. You are currently saving your life and assaulters life. You attempt to speak to your interrupted murderer. While being optimistic they do not finish murdering you and that someone else near you helps you. When this all works out you have a conversation about their actions.

What is the appropriate action?

Feel free to disagree with all of these and write your own!
First response

if he wants to be a silent douche who punched me into crit then so be it ill give him a taste of his own medicine.
I have been playing for 1 year and around 3 months, and I can firmly say Option 1
If someone attacks me and I take damage past yellow I take it like they are trying to kill me and in turn try to kill them in self-defense. Most people who attack you never want to talk unless others come to your aid. I also adminhelp it if I kill them or leave them in crit.
Is this even a question? This honestly sounds like a loaded argument about a dissatisfying admin interaction or something. If that's what it is, I love ya TS, but admins can't know everything.

Anyways, option 1 if you can manage it. I never do this as I have my own weird way of play which involved memorable deaths. Getting beat for no reason means you can beat back. If they don't run away or cease punching then no reason to stop putting them into a grave.

The game is set up to where only antags have the right of first aggression. Anyone else who gives you more than a lovetap is breaking the rules. It's actually one of the problems in this game, but I digress.
By the time im in crit my only goal is to take my assaulter with me
option 1, then succumb and talk mad shit in deadchat.
Option 1, i'm sure the hydroponics person will say something about them trying to kill me, and someone will clone me and hopefully not them. The moment I'm brought back, I tell security about the person, whether they are dead or alive
option 1, but blow a fuel tank on them at point blank
(12-09-2017, 03:19 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Is this even a question? This honestly sounds like a loaded argument about a dissatisfying admin interaction or something. If that's what it is, I love ya TS, but admins can't know everything.

I hope I'm not doing that the interaction pushed me to talk about my shitty time as sec lately, because the scenario isn't at all like what happened that time. Sec has really really sucked to play and it feels like everyone is always trying to murder you, including your fellow sec officers.

I'm going to fix a leak, well I get slipped and jumped by someone else who just wants the fucking sec ID and no one does shit but stare through windows. Going in on stunbaton the guy, get my shit back someone else will just come and drag them away. No one will ever fucking drag SEC away while they are dying. The guy staring "murder in my department blah" because I have no help and have to fucking murder some shitter to get my shit back. After dealing with it for 10 minutes slipping all over blood of everything else I could have done that round is put on hold. I just want to kill them at this point and use the cloner as a brig, or like i say above just murder them and leave their body for someone else, how long is too long wasting sec's time. I'm swarmed and killed because no one will help a downed security guy.

Thats is a smart idea Ed. Ahelp first instead of after the fact.
Option two is reserved for people who punch you to get you to leave them alone. If someone actively tries to murder you, let alone casually punches you from full to crit, it's antag actions. Murder is clearly the only language they understand.

I would do my best to get them borged and make them do the most embarrassing task I could think of too. If they can't be borged, I'd just feed their brain to a monkey and watch it.
I would get healed first, then grab some spare meds from medbay, run off, and find the person and murder them, then loot their corpse in private and leave them, unless I was someone with security gear end access, then I'd weldercuff them into a locked crate in a room, if they were especially an ass to more people than me, then I'd put said crate into a pod, all of this after cuffing them and searching them, if confirmed antag I'd take their contraband then do the above, if they aren't then I would Ahelp it and then do the pod crate thing.
Sometimes you can't ahelp before or doing as thing esculate fast. Admins give good security players breathing room on things like this just give them as much details as you can on how it got to the point where you had to kill TS.
honestly, it's not hard to even get handcuffs, just peeve off one of the secbots and have them arrest you, then beat someone unconscious and cuff em, put a grab on them and bam, you have them citizen arrested.
Option 1.

BUT

Do tell security what you've done. PDA message them after you've beat that person to near death/to smoosh, after you've healed of course.
You might be thinking: Am I just setting myself up for arrest?
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Think about what happens if security finds out that you've killed someone and didn't say anything.
Either AI or quick detective work (your blood/prints will be all over him) will rat you out and suddenly security believe you're acting antagonistic. Now you're arrested, and the salt mill is churning because security aren't really buying your story. I see it happen WAY too often.
Now if you immediately pda'd them, this wouldn't happen. Firstly what self respecting antagonist would report a body and admit murder? It really helps to dispel that sort of shadow looming over you, but it's also super helpful for sec who might have heard conflicting info and more than likely have more important things to deal with.