Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Airy alternatives to a pressurized environment.
Inspired by https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=9720

Currently it seems hyper-filled Emerg. Oxy Tanks fill a niche bandaid role of
a) Allowing you to, uh, breathe for the latter 75% of a round .
b) Not being knocked out of your hand by literally everything and it's grandmother, including space itself.
c) Not entirely depriving you of a backpack as you try to repair the gaping, bleeding hole in the station.

Now i'd say that's a fairly important niche, and it's a darned shame there's no balanced way to get around that without essentially exploiting an oversight in the Emerg tank that should rightly be patched. Therefore I suggest a few new possible stuffs to make it almost look like these spessmen were expecting to be in space. 

1 - The Emergency Rebreather: 
Pocket-sized implement that hooks up to standard internals, and while active ( And while it's power cell is charged ) trickles juuuust enough oxygen to keep you functional. Somewhat less versatile than an overfilled E-Tank, vulnerable to EMP, and maybe you can Emag it to dispense N20?? 

2 - The Handy Dandy SCUBA Rucksack: 
An alternate version of the backpack with only 5 standard slots, but also holds a standard-sized Air Tank (Or Oxygen Tank) Somewhat heavier than a standard back-mounted implement, so it has an ever so slight slowdown, so it's not just strictly better than a back-mounted tank. 

3 - Hey i'm not sure if this works but has anyone tried to sew a full-size Oxy Tank into someone's chest? Can you hook up to that? That's fucked up. 

4 - Re-Pressuriser Bomb: 
A single-use High-Cap pressure tank that can be released once to instantly re-set pressure in a closed room to whatever the map specified, provided it's actually sealed. Not recommended to vent all the halls into each other to abuse it, 'cause it'll blow all the limbs off anyone caught in the re-pressurization zone when the timer hits 0. Chief-Engineer card locked. I don't know if this is even codable but hey I can dream. 

5 - fart atmos so staff assistants can repressurise the station F F F F F F F F F F F 
Some kind of special outer wear armor that deploys an oxygenated bubble around you. Keeps you warm and breathing in space, but you can't move while the bubble is deployed. Instead you gotta wait for an emergency response team to pull you out
I like the idea of the instant repressurize can. It sounds like what high pressure cans were meant to do. How feasible is it to add in code that just resets the area atmos to round start conditions?
(12-05-2017, 10:55 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: 3 - Hey i'm not sure if this works but has anyone tried to sew a full-size Oxy Tank into someone's chest? Can you hook up to that? That's fucked up. 

Someone test this immediately. I'm not sure I'd even want to remove it if it works, because that'd be just amazing.
(12-05-2017, 11:27 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 10:55 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: 3 - Hey i'm not sure if this works but has anyone tried to sew a full-size Oxy Tank into someone's chest? Can you hook up to that? That's fucked up. 

Someone test this immediately. I'm not sure I'd even want to remove it if it works, because that'd be just amazing.

it probably checks .contents so I don't see why not.
Feature. The tank is just connected directly to the subject's lungs.

(12-05-2017, 11:26 AM)Firebarrage Wrote: How feasible is it to add in code that just resets the area atmos to round start conditions?

It's already in as an admin tool.

Also, High Pressure air tanks can already repressurize a room, everyone is just using them wrong. You're filling up a corner of the room with lots of air rather than distributing it around.
(12-05-2017, 11:35 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: Also, High Pressure air tanks can already repressurize a room, everyone is just using them wrong. You're filling up a corner of the room with lots of air rather than distributing it around.

That's what's been said for aeons and aeons but I've spend countless entire rounds dragging cannister after cannister up and down a perfectly sealed room, littered with heaters, all just to end up with like 5kpa. Repressurization is currently 100 work for 1 reward, and it makes a lot more sense to just not bother fixing anything that blows up. 

Either atmos needs a total rebuild, or instant cheat repressurisers need to be added, or like at the very least make canisters spread their gasses in a Line-Of-Sight grid pattern like the Extinguisher, Smoke, and foams do. 

Or we accept that everybody is gonna keep popping tictacs of "I dont need to breathe" sauce, and filling their pockets with 10 atmospheres of oxygen like it's a joke.
As I always say:
Either buff repressurization or nerf depressurization. Don't fuck up air tanks unless there's some kind of stopgap. Losing all the air in an area and not being able to put it back without messing with an extremely unclear atmos system (there's still no reliable way to tell which tiles have air, and in a closed room it can still be 'only some of them') is a way more important problem than removing people's OWN solution

That said I think these are neat ideas, and I'd willingly trade a few backpack slots for having a decent oxygen tank
6 - Emergency Clown Pressure Suit
Hook up any gas tank to the clown's full suit to immediately inflate it into a ridiculous personal balloon of breathable atmosphere. While in balloon form, the clown is blind, and mechanically limbless. If bumped into, the clown will bounce off in the opposite direction until it hits something solid. Attacking with anything sharp punctures the suit and returns it to normal. [the clown is powerless to do this] 
farting in the suit causes TOX damage 
I'm still for the hyperoxygenating plants; plants that dump loads of oxygen into atmos. Bonus if they scale (limited) with potency. Double bonus if I can smoke it.
(12-05-2017, 11:35 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: It's already in as an admin tool.

Also, High Pressure air tanks can already repressurize a room, everyone is just using them wrong. You're filling up a corner of the room with lots of air rather than distributing it around.

Regarding the latter point, it is essentially impossible to repressurize areas such as corridors, heating is a whole other nightmare. This is doing a full job, there's always parts that are cold and airless tucked away which is annoying.

The first point has got me thinking. If area bound sections can be instantly pressurized, what about implementing something halfway? I dunno, something like FTL?

Think about it this way: Let's take a pressurized room. You have a device on the wall, can be as fancy as you wish but those old air wall mounted things would work nicely. It's retains it's old function, it can detect if air is missing. But now it's area bound, it will detect if there's low oxygen in any of the tiles, and begin to slowly fill the room on all tiles with oxygen/air, not dissimilar to FTL.

Engineers when repairing the room after a breach need to do the following:
1. Repair the breach. If there is even one space tile, the net result will always be less air. 
2. Repair the oxygen gizmo. It can get damaged in a blast and lose its function.*
3. Drag in an airtank. The filling of the room is slow so the airtank would be best used to accelerate the process and provide air in key areas.
4. Drag in a heater. I feel heaters kind of need to be buffed something serious.

*It also turns off during fire to prevent fires from being constantly fed oxygen. Perhaps some method of turning this function off.....

This would largely rectify a huge number of issues with atmos as it currently stands. It would also dampen the effects of oxygen loss spreading from one breached area to others.
(12-05-2017, 03:31 PM)Sundance Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 11:35 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: It's already in as an admin tool.

Regarding the latter point, it is essentially impossible to repressurize areas such as corridors, heating is a whole other nightmare. This is doing a full job, there's always parts that are cold and airless tucked away which is annoying.

The first point has got me thinking. If area bound sections can be instantly pressurized, what about implementing something halfway? I dunno, something like FTL?

Think about it this way: Let's take a pressurized room. You have a device on the wall, can be as fancy as you wish but those old air wall mounted things would work nicely. It's retains it's old function, it can detect if air is missing. But now it's area bound, it will detect if there's low oxygen in any of the tiles, and begin to slowly fill the room on all tiles with oxygen/air, not dissimilar to FTL.

Engineers when repairing the room after a breach need to do the following:
1. Repair the breach. If there is even one space tile, the net result will always be less air. 
2. Repair the oxygen gizmo. It can get damaged in a blast and lose its function.*
3. Drag in an airtank. The filling of the room is slow so the airtank would be best used to accelerate the process and provide air in key areas.
4. Drag in a heater. I feel heaters kind of need to be buffed something serious.

*It also turns off during fire to prevent fires from being constantly fed oxygen. Perhaps some method of turning this function off.....

This would largely rectify a huge number of issues with atmos as it currently stands. It would also dampen the effects of oxygen loss spreading from one breached area to others.

It should hook up to the air hookups so I can set the whole station on fire more efficiently.
New drink-item in vending machines: Milk, Egg and Salbutamol.

Call it Dairy-Air. Some banjo thing somebody bought for some great re
(12-05-2017, 11:27 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 10:55 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: 3 - Hey i'm not sure if this works but has anyone tried to sew a full-size Oxy Tank into someone's chest? Can you hook up to that? That's fucked up. 

Now that that round is over : It works. 
just need to fart to turn on/off the mask valve. 
it's the best feature in the world.
(12-05-2017, 05:34 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: New drink-item in vending machines: Milk, Egg and Salbutamol.

Call it Dairy-Air. Some banjo thing somebody bought for some great re

Honestly, I like this. The farts are a nice trade off for accessible salbutamol, and I like the idea that it produces oxygen inside you making you gassy
Can we simply put jetpacks/air tanks on the back of a spacesuit? Remove with grab intent to refill if needed.