Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Traitor Mechanic item: Card Skimmer
I just got this idea while building vending machines as a mechanic. Sort of a companion to the Agent Card that makes sense for mechanics to have.

The card skimmer can be attached to any device that takes an ID card. It passively scans any ID card that is inserted into the machine, storing the details of the most recently scanned card. Once a card has been scanned, the mechanic can remove the skimmer with a screwdriver and swipe an Agent Card through it, cloning the access without having to physically steal the card from the victim.

The idea is that the mechanic puts it on, say, the cigarette machine in the bar, then hangs around waiting for someone with access they want to buy a pack of Pro Puffs. The mechanic then retrieves the skimmer and makes their own ID.

The skimmer can be detected by shaking the vending machine, which may cause it to fall out of the card slot.
the mechanic in question, waiting for someone to use the vending machine [Image: Waiting-Skeleton.jpg]
This would be infinitely more useful if you could attach it to doors too, but even then the utility is questionable since it requires a different, separate traitor item to be useful. Restricted to vending machines, i can't imagine anyone would use it.
Not just vending machines, anything that takes a card to use. ATMs, the QM computer, whatever.

Maybe it can use a blank Spare ID or something instead of an agent card.
I could see it being useful if you got to an announcement computer or ID changer without anyone noticing you.

Assuming someone uses those things/doesn't just give out all access like god damn candy.
Make it modify any ID, rather then just agent cards.

Agent cards can already steal access from any ID you get your grubby little hands on IIRC.

edit: What if it was connected to PDAs, which can already hold Id's.

The skimmer sends you a message whenever it pulls in a new ID, and you can use your PDA to poop out the changed agent card whenever you get the right details.

Not only does it let you steal access, it turns your PDA into a mini ID computer.

That to me would make the skimmer/agent ID combo much more interesting, especially if the skimmer was a whole kit that included an agent ID already.
how about it can modify OTHER PEOPLES ACCESS? you get to fuck with people, still get into secure areas, and whatever but it actually does something (sort of) new. Like, remotely changing their access/job title/name on the ID etc
Oh oh oh.

Anytime someone's ID is in a vending machine (and they don't log out of it), you can use the item to modify their ID. It can be used to effectively trap people inside a room for murder.

Do it.
My thinkin' on this is that it has two modes:

Read:
- If it's in item form (in hand, on the ground) it'll store the information of an ID card used on it: permissions, name, job, and color.
- If it's in a machine it'll store the information of the ID used on the machine.
- Reading can be done multiple times, but only one ID can be stored at a time.

Write:
- In item form, an ID used on it will take on all properties of the last ID stored.
- In a machine it will automatically re-write ID cards that people use on the machine to the last stored ID.
- Use this to give people shit access with an ATM or have a surprise Captain ID giveaway!

Using the skimmer in-hand will switch the mod from read to write and vice versa. Inserting it into the machine and securing it is a good idea for planting it. It's also simple and quick enough for a traitor to plant and operate. I really want one of these now.