Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wiz corruption
corruption is optional for wizards, here's an idea to make it useful and fun

A corrupted area fucks up all technology in it.
  • Tasers, phasers, etc. won't fire if the user is standing inside corruption
  • Computers & machinery (like the QM Comp or fabricators) won't work if the area is corrupted, just as if there was no power
  • Securitrons/buddies won't go into a corrupted area
  • Cyborgs lose power at a massive rate if they're moving/standing in a corrupted area
  • AI/Cyborgs can't interact with doors or other stuff in a corrupted area
  • Machinetalk doesn't work in corruption
  • Thermals don't work

elements I'm iffy about
  • screws up AI cameras-- the poor AI's field of view is pretty limited already frown
  • shuts off headsets, shuts off lights-- seems like it would be as detrimental to the wiz as anyone else

anyway the idea is that corrupted areas give the wizard safe zones of sorts. if they manage to corrupt a lot of the station then they have pretty much free reign against everything except the standard grayshirt fire extinguisher mob. also maybe it'll cut down on wizards running around with laser guns/subverting the AI (PLEASE RESPECT CANON)-- but at the same time also offer a good response against the chaplain who has an all-access ID and a million laser guns. either keep him busy decorrupting important areas or lure him into a corrupted area and bonk him on the head
Yes, it would be much better if corruption did something.

I'm sure other people will have a million ideas of what it could do, but I definitely like the idea of guns not working so you can fight the all-powerful chaplain who gets given security gear and all-access.
The only problem with this is that the only person who can remove corruption is the chaplain. As it stands, you've got a decent shot of taking down the wizard if the chaplain is dead/spaced/a goddamned idiot. If corruption is this powerful, without the one, single person who can get rid of it, the wizard is an unstoppable wrecking ball.
Also, it fucks over every single person who just wants to do something other than chase the wizard around, because they can't do shit in the corruption anymore. It turns every wizard round into "Every single person grab a fire extinguisher and hunt this fucker down, because there's nothing else you'll be able to do otherwise."
Why not have Corruption do something like slow people down who aren't the Wizard/ Chaplain. Simple enough, makes it useful, not completely imbalanced.
Also, maybe make it give the wizard some small buffs, like regen and a slight stun resistance. That sounds like it would be perfect. Makes him want to corrupt, makes people want to get rid of the corruption, but doesn't fuck everyone else over in the process.
You could also make it so that anyone holding a bible can pray, but it takes a considerable amount of time to do for someone who isn't the chaplain. That way, more than one person can reverse the effects, and a game mode doesn't rely on someone rolling chaplain and then not committing suicide at round start
Instead of making corruption bad for everyone else, make it good for the wizard

Just make it so that standing in a corrupted area reduces the cooldown on all the wizard's spells and allows him to cast them without his staff and robe
Klayboxx Wrote:You could also make it so that anyone holding a bible can pray, but it takes a considerable amount of time to do for someone who isn't the chaplain. That way, more than one person can reverse the effects, and a game mode doesn't rely on someone rolling chaplain and then not committing suicide at round start

Dauntasa Wrote:Instead of making corruption bad for everyone else, make it good for the wizard

Just make it so that standing in a corrupted area reduces the cooldown on all the wizard's spells and allows him to cast them without his staff and robe

Both these idea's are good.
As if corruption wasn't enough of annoyance enough, making everything break and slow you down would kind of suck. Minor buffs for Wizard would be great though.
Honestly I just like it plain removed, it was dumb and should never come back Imho.
I like the effects it might do BUT make it dependent on the amount of corruption TOTAL on the station.

At 10%, make it interfere with handheld technology (optical scanners, flashes, multitools, analyzers, but NOT other stun weapons or energy guns).
At 20%, make it also drain power at a medium rate. This includes any power cells still in the area - cyborgs, buddies, APCs at a rate of at least 20/second - and even guns at a rate of 1 PU/second.
At 30%, make it interfere with wired communications - intercoms cease to function and computers and fabricators shut down, as if there was no area power. The AI and cyborgs cannot interact with anything that remains functioning in the area, and machine talk is also scrambled. The chaplain is vulnerable to spells now in corrupted areas.
At 40%, the power drain is tripled, crippling an area mere moments after its corruption.
At 50%, carbon lifeforms which aren't magically attuned begin slowly disintegrating in corrupted areas, taking 1.5 burn damage per second.
At 60%, the rate of disintegration doubles, and at 70% it doubles once again.

This would make a staff of c'thulu wizard a viable strategy.
the only possible way i could think of this not being insanely ridiculously overpowered on top of the wizard's current capabilities is if the corruption spell took much much longer and disrupted the wizard's ability to cast spells for the duration of the corruption ritual and for like 15 seconds after the spell is stopped whether it's a completion or an interrupt

also marquesas made a suggestion that doesnt make me cry thats weird
Dauntasa Wrote:Instead of making corruption bad for everyone else, make it good for the wizard

Yeah, I like this idea, particularly the last part. There's already a huge incentive to down all tools and lynch wizards at all costs on sight, I know even I do it sometimes. Making corruption more of a pain for the crew as a whole would, in practice, make this far worse - every wizard would be a potential timebomb that needs to be taken out before it becomes impossible to deal with, AIs would go full-on supercop with the justification that the wizard poses too much of a potential threat/disruption, etc. I know these aren't insurmountable problems, but it would be a painful process that would probably, on the whole, offset the gain.

Buffing the wizard, on the other hand, is obviously good for him. It gives him an incentive to corrupt as a backup plan - if things go south for him later in the round, he can retreat to his corrupt areas, and elite sec strike teams can go in after him, which is Fun and would make for good player interaction - but means that corruption doesn't pose an obvious threat to the crew, allows them to continue their business on a relatively unchanged level of safety as long as they stay away from corrupt areas (and if the corrupt area is your workplace... well, if the chef comes at you with a butcher knife screaming that your skulls ruined the feng shui of his kitchen, it's your own fault what did you think would happen), and provides a good general visual representation of both the progress of the round and places of interest/death.

People will of course still more eagerly kill a wizard that's corrupted half the station, as it should be. Got to have something to offset the gains involved.

Marquesas' idea is also a good middle ground
perhaps make holy water slowly remove corruption. But require that the holy water touch each tile in the room that's corrupted, e.g spray bottle full of holy water.

That way someone can just mass produce holy water, and then spray it all over.

(I don't think holy water smoke works, but I'm not sure)

Basically like a janitor mess except instead of dirt it's corruption.