Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuff you like/dislike from other servers
Yeah the guns are the big factor for me, /tg/ is pretty good on those terms.

Their guns seem to behave like guns kind of should. A shotgun actually behaves like a shotgun. In comparison our shotguns shoot a a single bullet like literally every other rifle does. It's underwhelming. Don't even get me started on the riot shotguns.

The problem I have with /tg/ is balance. There isn't much of a movement towards balancing things, that's something I feel goon does well.

Edit: Also use for food. They have a need for food, which isn't as terrible as we seem to babble about anytime it's brought up. But lo' and behold when there's a use for food, you actually see the chef + botanist roles filled because they're actually necessary. Now compare our roles. See the problem?
Part of me considers bringing food and drink motives to LLJK2 (that'd give people a reason to care about food and drink) but there'd be riots.
Before a riot is initiated, I'd like to clarify that I don't believe food/drink motives is a good idea. We don't need a gun to our head for people to eat. 

It's more that I feel we need something to motivate people to eat, gaining minor buffs and defenses in doing so, even if some of those buffs are goofy. It's something we've needed for a very long time, although there hasn't been much appetite for it because let's be honest, food isn't on the forefront of peoples minds.
tg has good stuff, but yeah it's constantly unbalanced, and the people are the worst
I seriously do not get the hate for motives. At the level they are on LLJK1, you'd maybe need to go find a glass of water in the time a normal round on LLJK2 goes on for.
(11-22-2017, 03:36 PM)Mordent Wrote: I seriously do not get the hate for motives. At the level they are on LLJK1, you'd maybe need to go find a glass of water in the time a normal round on LLJK2 goes on for.

I drank a bottle of Happy Elf and mainlined a bag of coffee and died of being smelly twenty minutes in. After we were assured that it'd be like forty minutes before you even need to think about grabbing a drink.

Don't forget that 2 does weird shit.
(11-22-2017, 12:47 PM)Sundance Wrote: Before a riot is initiated, I'd like to clarify that I don't believe food/drink motives is a good idea. We don't need a gun to our head for people to eat. 

It's more that I feel we need something to motivate people to eat, gaining minor buffs and defenses in doing so, even if some of those buffs are goofy. It's something we've needed for a very long time, although there hasn't been much appetite for it because let's be honest, food isn't on the forefront of peoples minds.

i will always be a fan of positive outcomes to do things rather than the threat of negative outcomes
don't make game systems more complicated in favor of tedium/frustration, that's how you get lifeweb
Needs don't really translate that well to 1 hour shifts. If it affects the game so little, why even have it?

Boosts are the way to go. Whether they be Stamina/Health/Speed boosts or MyFartsAreLoud boosts.
I'd be more keen on motives if the punishment for not meeting them was less severe

Like, instead of dying because you don't eat or drink, you'd just get little penalties like an audible stomach grumbling noise when you're hungry or small text when you talk when you're thirsty because of your dry throat
(11-22-2017, 10:16 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'd be more keen on motives if the punishment for not meeting them was less severe

Like, instead of dying because you don't eat or drink, you'd just get little penalties like an audible stomach grumbling noise when you're hungry or small text when you talk when you're thirsty because of your dry throat

I think not meeting basic human needs should be punishing, though immediate death is kind of terrible.

I think instead of that, someone who is STARVING or DEHYDRATED should start accumulating damage over time (one damage a second would be pretty punishing but it should be REALLY IMPORTANT to keep those needs filled so maybe it's good at that?  Some kind of damage not easily solvable with medicine so you don't get weird shit like people staving off hunger by slapping a hundred styptic powder patches on themselves.).
Vitatroll Wrote:Needs don't really translate that well to 1 hour shifts. If it affects the game so little, why even have it?

Boosts are the way to go. Whether they be Stamina/Health/Speed boosts or MyFartsAreLoud boosts.

This is would be my main response to Mordent's post.

There are.. problems... with how motives are implemented, that borders on trivial (environment) to thirst (oh fuck I instantly died from dehydration?), and these problems would be magnified if brought over to LLJK 2.

Without straying from my original point, I'll break it down methods of implementation of food ranging from "no pls" to "nice"

No Pls: Motives as they currently are.

- The timing of motives does not suit #2 in any shape or form, arguably it doesn't even suit #1. By the time they get any indication, the shuttle has already been called.
- It does not encourage players to play chef, nor botany, which is my main reasoning. Instead, players run up to vending machines and just chow down on snacks, bypassing both the chef and botany.
- It is borderline trivial in its punishment, which on #2 would just spam the message box, something that we've been trying to cut down on.

Nope: Motives, but toned down

- This literally has the same problems as above, only increasing the trivialness by a factor of x10. I cannot stress this enough, the problem is food needs use not that lack of food needs a punishment.

Meh: Increasing the treshold + food healing factor, even so far as removing it + giving more existing chems in foods.

- This has been suggested before. Basically it was suggested that the damage threshold ("you are too damaged to heal yourself from food!" - message) is removed entirely, meaning that you'd be able eat yourself silly to put yourself outta crit. Now it's a funny image watching a clown suffering from a heart attack chowing down everything on the bar table, but it just seems like such a boring solution to what could so much better.
- Adding in more existing chemicals basically puts chef/botany in the "Chemistry, but everything you can do they can do better" side of things. It shoves chef/botany into a corner of obscurity which is overshadowed by science. This is the defination of meh.

Not bad: Adding in new chems to foods, having chems unique only to food.

- This was suggested by Frank if I recall. Basically stuff like "Calcium/Iron" and "Carbs" are chems produced in foods and provide bonuses according to the chem, such as carbs acting like a slow stim.
- This is a VAST improvement to the above.
- My problem with this is having to go through every food and checking what food chemistry needs what. I fear these type of effects might be trivial, and would not encourage the chef to go more complicated route. I also fear that chemnerds might game the system, but if there was good discussion regarding what goes where and how to limit chemnerds, then I would gladly move this to "nice"

Nice: Foods provide unique bioeffects (see genetics, but timed). More complicated dishes = better bioeffects

- Basically the above but instead of using chemistry, it uses the bioeffects that genetics use.
- This would encourage chef/botany to grow interesting things, make interesting foods (all those interesting sprites/code done by Flourish, Gannets, etc which basically have gone unnoticed would now have new cool effects)
- It can not only provide passive buffs, but could provide active abilities as well. This is something chemistry cannot do. What does that entail? Literally of the top of my head, something that would be "farty" (like refried beans, egg sandwich, etc) could provide a "fart" buff, which is the exact same as Jumpy, only you fart to propell yourself forward. Again the fart buff is timed, meaning this ability would go after X amount of time, meaning you'd have to eat again to regain the ability.
- Minor junk food could still provide buffs, but they'd be just be "ok" in comparison to what the chef could make.

Yes this is an effortpost and a half, and heck it's not really part of the thread but I'll be damned if I repeat myself again whenever food and how to impliment it is questioned. Argh!
Miss lobby music, bring back lobby music because its new again.
Just a note that I super appreciate that effort post, Sundance, and it's helped by the fact the codebase already supports temporary bioeffects, so...
Oh, minor thing from TG: varying items (weaponry, consumables) can be renamed and re-described using a pen. I think it'd be a nice touch if you could thus add a custom description to drinks and the like, now that bottles render their reagent colors properly. (This would, however, let you rename burgers so no one could tell you used human meat in them, which would be a big balance-y.)
I'm just going to add another low effort big impact thing, at least imo. maybe we could have a contest for join background jpegs? get back that wonderful ss13 art?