Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuff you like/dislike from other servers
This is a general place to dump things you admire/despise lfrom other stations' codebases; items, mechanics, antags and so on. This is not meant to be an imperative of the coders to do anything they don't already want to do. Name the server, mechanic and a brief description of why it's cool and good. Or why it's terrible!!

TGStation (Good)
- Integrated Circuits: Only just recently added; accessible through its R&D system, you can use the integrated circuit printer to make portable, fixed, and mobile circuit assemblies to do anything from smoking chemicals to cursing at people while shocking them and chasing them down a hallway. Actually mostly those things!
- Mining: If you've ever been on TG, you know about its very robust mining system; a separate planet full of monstrosities and loot called 'Lavaland', littered with dangers and rewards of all sorts.
- Library: A persistent library system; write books, add them to the records, request them later. Fun stuff.
- Hologram Projectors: They're just neat honestly. Wet floors, barriers for people/gases, etc.
- Respawners: Various special roles that ghost players can respawn into off-station; monsters in Lavaland, little robots, beach dudes, etc. Gives stuff for dead players to do.
- More general clothing in the machines; pinnable accessories, etc.

Vorestation/Citadel? (Good; Don't Laugh, Or Do, Whatever)
- PDAs: Citadel's PDAs are a lot more functional, afaik.
- Z-Levels: There are elevators that take you to different floors, as well as balconies.
- The cloning system: Apparently the way it works is people have personality backups that then get chipped and slotted into bodies? Lets you put people in PDAs or something too.

Vorestation (Bad)
- Pretty much everything else

Baycode (Good)
- Point-buy accessory/miscellaneous object system. Start with hats, lunchboxes, scarves, etc.
goonstation has/had predators, and they werent too great, being mostly just regular guys with some gear, most of which is basically already regular traitor gear. you know who else has predators? colonial marines, and theyre generally better realized, spritewise, codewise and sound effect wise. i heard that the guy who runs the thing doesnt even like the predators that much and only included them for popular demand, so maybe hed be willing to share some assets, as they seem to be considered more of an accessory feature rather than the main event feature
Colonial Marines is good at what it does when they're not being sticks in the mud.

I read somewhere that they sent an asteroid at the ship specifically to destroy a bar that someone built on the side of it.

I didn't need a reason to only play aliens but I guess I have one :/

Code wise it's pretty solid though.
(11-19-2017, 03:14 PM)Technature Wrote: Colonial Marines is good at what it does when they're not being sticks in the mud.
CM is faaaaar too slow for me. That or I've been horribly unlucky. That might be the case, because I doubt it could be that popular if every round felt like DnD night with some shade of horrible DM.

Anyways, about other servers... uh, I like the clown mech? The clown mech is amazing. Mechs in general, actually. I really miss good mech PC games.
I adored the respawn stuff on TG before but the consolidating it all into a menu made me love it even more, and I might be working very glacially slowly on adding something vaguely similar in future, pending other admin approval.

edit: if anyone has any stories to share of the new integrated circuit stuff please please please let me hear your stories
Oh I didn't even see integrated circuits. That's close to clown mech levels of neat-o.
(11-19-2017, 05:19 PM)Cirrial Wrote: I adored the respawn stuff on TG before but the consolidating it all into a menu made me love it even more, and I might be working very glacially slowly on adding something vaguely similar in future, pending other admin approval.

edit: if anyone has any stories to share of the new integrated circuit stuff please please please let me hear your stories

I made a machine that you type a word (usually insults) into and then it says it in a robo-voice (only in the chat, sadly) when you push the button.
And a handheld machine where you pre-load it with reagents, close it up, type in how much of you want the reagent to be smoked, and then when you push the button it vents that smoke into the air.

You can also do things like program drones to move around on a delay circuit, and then fire an event when they stop from hitting a person/wall. Tie this to a grenade primer, preferably having figured out how to actually attach the grenade first, and you've got yourself a fancier version of a mousetrap rc-car bomb.

It honestly seems like it could be pretty sophisticated; Sartorius posts about it on the Discord sometimes, and you can save and copy a script such that as long as you have the same parts in two different machines, the same code will trigger the same behavior.

I hate TG's research tho, even though people tend to get enough of it done to make the integrated circuit printer (really, only a few levels of progress, which you can get in a few good minutes), so I host it on a private instance and just spawn shit in. It's honestly really awesome to use. The fact it's made through R&D makes it Science's job rather than going to the Engineers (who are likely busy with the Supermatter, or the Singularity, or the Big Fucking Electric Ball that Turns People to Dust) or, in a comparative case, the Mechanics.

(Speaking of the fruits of R&D: laser guns, portal guns, bags of holding, ADVANCED MOPS. . .)
I love a lot of TG's R&D stuff, but I am less than enthusiastic about their grocery list research system. I've heard they've changed over to a different system I know nothing about very recently, though, something about a techweb?
(11-19-2017, 06:37 PM)Cirrial Wrote: I love a lot of TG's R&D stuff, but I am less than enthusiastic about their grocery list research system. I've heard they've changed over to a different system I know nothing about very recently, though, something about a techweb?

Seems similar since I last checked, but apparently it's supposed to be spread out with different areas getting different research items? Not sure how it would work in practice.
i like the huge variety of traitor items on tg
Baycode (Good)
-Better player loadout customization
--I've seen servers with a similar crewmember "upvote" system to Paradise, but it lets you use the points permanently on loadout items.
-60u and 120u beakers, which is more functional for calculating recipe quantities.

Baycode (Bad)
-The worst inventory management system
--You can't just click on item slots. You have to click directly on an item in your inventory, in order to put it in your hand (really, really annoying).
--Like goon, containers within containers will close upon moving.

TGStation (Good)
-Slightly better inventory management.
--Drag and drop based on inventory tiles, rather than having to click on the item.
--Containers within containers stay open while moving.
-They have a equip hotkey that quick-stores items into your pockets, backpack, belt, etc (this is very good).
-Space cleaner bottle projectiles seem smoother and quicker.
-PDAs have nice menus.

TGStation (Bad)
-No equipment swap hotkey.
-Aside from lavaland, little PVE content.
-No major secrets and discoveries.

TGStation (Mixed)
-R&D system.
--Lots of fun items to be had.
--Grindy means of obtaining them.

VGStation (Good)
-Sooo many makeshift weapons.
No idea what code it is but its whatever yawn wider uses (good)

Hands and feet are separate parts for surgery and robotics purposes. Get yourself a robohand on your flesh-arm and a robo-foot on your fleshleg. Robopirate.
(11-20-2017, 07:46 AM)Hikurac Wrote: (words)

VGStation (Good)
-Sooo many makeshift weapons.
Oh fuck I love VG's makeshift weapons. I want more hobo weaponry.
TG's crafting system in general is rather neat.

I also noticed that we now have to provide a reason when we call the shuttle? Which I've seen on TG, and I quite like.

EDIT: Also: TG has a variety of shuttles that can be bought, which is neat.
&& it has one of the more impressive Traitor items I've seen: a briefcase + remote control teleport system that you unfold and set to send stuff to, or pull stuff from, a tile with coordinates set relatively to the briefcase itself. Good for B&E minus the B.

EDIT 2 ELECTRIC BOOGALOO:
Last night I was fooling with TG's circuits system and managed to make:
- A doodad where you type in curse words, say 'Speak' and it says them in the chat
- A drone that, given a direction & a flip of its switch, rides down a hallway until it hits something, then primes a pre-loaded grenade
- A little doodad where you flick a toggle switch and it turns on an LED indicating a boolean is true

Much more is probably possible, such as reading and writing data, picking from a list, throwing stuff and so on, I just don't know all the ins and outs yet. It's remarkably approachable though. Dr. Floorpills has experimented with it.
Certain coders (ie me) might be taking some of the QoL concepts they like from TG and slowly working them into Goonststion.
I like that tg has a zillion guns, wiz spells, and traitor items. Our selection is tiny in comparison.

Also, mechs, especially the HONK.