Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dreaming in Goonstation.
I'm learning how to lucid dream in real life and came up with an idea that you guys might like. Dreams! Basically when you sleep in-game, you'll dream. It doesn't happen automatically, but it happens when you're in bed. This will give people a reason to sleep in bed. When you do dream, your player will become a dream player, just like how in VR, you become a VR player. If you die in your dream you'll wake up, same as in VR, you'll die and exit the VR world. To wake up from a dream, you must use the wake-up command. Ghosts will be able to enter players dreams and interact with the environment (sort of).

Dream dimension: When you dream there are two ideas that I have for the actual dream.

1. You'll end up in your very own dream. Basically, code magic will allow you to experience a unique dream. For example: If you're a chef, you'll dream about food, or the kitchen, diner, etc. A dream will be in black and white. Every player besides assistant will have their own dream because no job means no dreams and no future.

2. Each player will have a random dream, when they sleep. There will be different locations that a player might end up and things can be different to create more randomness. For example, someone could be dreaming that they are on earth, but they are in a locked building, just like adventure maps, where there are indestructible barriers to keep you contained in the map.

I actually have a 3rd idea. Everyone shares one dream. Why? Coding everyone to have their own unique dreams might be complicated to code.

Idea number 4 (I'm on a roll): When someone is dreaming, you can hook a dream helmet to their head, tune the frequency to helmet on your head, and enter their dream so you'll know what they're dreaming about. There might even be a way to remove one or two secret items from your dreams into the real world. How do you may ask? That is for you to find out.

Idea number 5. Nightmares. There is a chance you'll have nightmares.

I'll take any suggestions or criticisms. This post is subject to possible frequent edits.

Thank you and have a great evening.

Edit: Idea of the now. Dreams will be some form of text adventure to prevent flooding the game with maps.
I feel like this would be a nightmare to code.
(11-10-2017, 07:51 PM)Hulk Hogan Wrote: Idea number 5. Nightmares. There is a chance you'll have nightmares.

(11-10-2017, 07:58 PM)medsal15 Wrote: I feel like this would be a nightmare to code.

literally. but i agree with medsal, sounds good, hard to code
Would it really be that hard to code? Doesn't VR more or less work on this same principle?

What sounds more labor intensive to me is working out the details of the dreamscape. Is it going to reuse areas, or get it's open dedicated zlevel? 

There's also the question of value added to the overall experience. I like the idea, but it seems more like something that would be related to the Sol metagame
(11-11-2017, 08:45 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: There's also the question of value added to the overall experience. I like the idea, but it seems more like something that would be related to the Sol metagame
^ This.
Nobody uses VR, why would people want VR++, that is actually VR+bugs?
personally i find the idea of a dream adventure zone interesting and entertaining more than the idea of just having a VR area to enter
Maybe have dream versions of the debris field structures, too?
Maybe?
Dream-access adventure zone is probably all it'd amount to. The difficult bit is making it interesting enough to hang around. Like, Ainsley (sp?) is super neat the first time or two but there's no reason to hang around
ssss mages when?
Personally i think it would be funny if dreaming sent you on a text adventure.
(11-11-2017, 07:48 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Personally i think it would be funny if dreaming sent you on a text adventure.
What a pretty brain you have, friend.

YOU ENTER THE CENTRAL DOORWAY TO A LARGE, DARK ROOM WHICH SMELLS FAINTLY OF DISCOUNT DANS. THE WALLS, FLOOR, AND CEILING ARE COVERED IN SQUARES AND IN THE CENTER OF EACH SQUARE LIES OF HOLE.
> ex holes
YOU EXAMINE THE HOLES. THEY LOOK LARGE ENOUGH TO POKE WITH YOUR FINGER. YOU SHOULDN'T DO THAT.
> poke holes
EVERY SQUARE OPENS UP TO REVEAL A BUTT. YOU HEAR THE DOOR LOCK. THE BUTTS SET FORTH A WAVE OF FLATULENCE TO THE TUNE OF "FLIGHT OF THE VALKYRIES". THE NOXIOUS ASS IS SUFFOCATING. YOU GIGGLE UNCONTROLLABLY.
>door
YOU RUN FOR THE DOOR, BUT LOSE YOUR BALANCE ON THE BUTT FLOOR. THE LIGHTS GO OUT. YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A GRUE.
(11-11-2017, 07:48 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Personally i think it would be funny if dreaming sent you on a text adventure.

Okay, that's actually a really good way to implement this.

I can even imagine nightmare drugs that keep you trapped in a dream until you beat the mini text adventure
(11-11-2017, 11:00 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:

Okay, that's actually a really good way to implement this.

I can even imagine nightmare drugs that keep you trapped in a dream until you beat the mini text adventure

Or until someone starts beating you to death?

I know it's rare, but still something worth keepin in mind.
Text adventures for dreams sound interesting. I don’t know how to code much, but text adventures wouldn’t require flooding the adventure zlevel with maps. An idea for text adventures would be that each action you do ingame would alter your dream. You start with a base dream and different things will change the dream, or we could have the same dream for everyone. A third option would to have one dream and one nightmare. They would both be long text adventures. To prevent them from being boring when you already know how to complete them, they could be randomized, i.e the puzzles. For example, a dream could have 3 puzzles and they would be randomly selected from 9 puzzles.

You find yourself in a old diner.
>N
You walk north
>EXAMINE
There is a counter with a cold looking robot. Behind the counter there is a kitchen.
>TALK TO ROBOT
“Greetings human. Would you like to puchase some grub?”
>KILL SELF
You slash your thoat with the nearest item available

And then you wake up. This is a shitty example, compared to Zork or another game like Colossal Adventure, but we could create something silly.
Writing a bunch of mini scenarios would be a good way to go about it then randomly pick one. You could probably draw from round stuff to determine characters and scenario pools. Like, having a blob active increases chances for a Blob dream being chosen.

Some dreams could have clues about how to do things in adventure zones, making them prophetic

And hell, we already have a system in place in game that would work well for this. The computers in game have text and a means to enter prompts and have branching paths