Poll: Should widescreen be added?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
87.50%
56 87.50%
No!
12.50%
8 12.50%
Total 64 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Widescreen - Player Vote
(11-05-2017, 05:40 PM)Mordent Wrote: If You People are using the stretch-to-fit option for tile scaling at the moment, you worry me.

My monitor is quite long for a laptop. 1366x768 and I use stretch to fit. 32x32 on this is far too small, I might as well as be playing on a gameboy.
That's the same resolution I have sundance
I agree that the goosestepping was taken a bit far. There was no need for an us vs them rhetoric. No need for huffy overdrama about a 15+ year old game. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't sad.

John is correct. 4:3 users still get the short end. Unless a non 1:1 stretch-to-fit option was introduced, and lol to that in every way. Should we stop, then? That's not what I'm saying. Widescreen is going to go through; it's on rails now. What we don't need to do is villainize the people who are disadvantaged by it because we have some kind of victim mentality.

For the record: I'm the same as Sundance, thanks to the wonders of monopolies and not needing a high-end laptop... and being too stubborn to hook up fartman to a 4k tele.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...6824022584
Brb becoming ultra turbo nerd
Don't know why some think I was attacking people. All I stated was their circumstances should not hold back progress anymore. Also I don't have a 4k TV not sure if I stated I ever did. My TV supports up to 1080p at most but defaults at the same res as sundance. I use my tv cause its convenient and makes everything beside space station better. If wanting a better playing experience means I have a victim complex then so be it but that notion in itself is silly. I don't think I should downgrade to a ratio that stopped being used sometime in the mid to late 2000's just so the game looks good and easy to see.
i don't think you said anything wrong ed

if anything john is the one with the victim complex here
(11-03-2017, 09:42 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I want true widescreen and really who does not have a TV or Monitor that does not support 16:9 at this point? Get with the times and stop trying to hold everyone who wants a better playing experience back.

(11-04-2017, 01:08 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I don't get why some of you think we should all have to be stuck with 4:3 just because a small few refuse to upgrade. Them not having something most of us do is on them and should not slow down progress.

I don't know how it looks like you weren't attacking people, tbh. anyway, it's not important. if progress can be made that doesn't shit on one particular group then go ahead
How is that a attack? I'm asking a question. Is asking a tough question the same as attacking a person to you people?

I've explained my thinking in other post that you failed to quote. Like how in every thread the same people come in and halt progress. Their issues are not ours. Like I said some changes that have been made negatively effect my performance but I never used my issues as a means to keep things from progressing. So excuse me if I am annoyed over this cause I feel this should have been made a thing ages ago. I feel sorry for those who are stuck at 4:3 but this has been halted long enough and they are in the minority. Regardless on how you feel this will happen sooner or later.

I should have worded that question as "why do some of you think we all should be stuck with 4:3 cause a few refuse to upgrade?" I put it in a statement format and for that I apologize.
Hi. Keep the conversation to the widescreen thing. I'm just going to put a blanket "shut the fuck up" about any petty bickering in this thread, because it's massively diluting meaningful discussion.

No snappy comebacks, no I-told-you-so responses, no defensive "it wasn't me", no "you were in the right". More than half of the posts here have had nothing to do with the question. Let's change that.
i use stretch-to-fit. im that guy
This should probably be followed with a "what resolution/icon size do you use?" poll, because for my particular resolution stretch-to-fit looks godawful and I can't imagine anyone wanting to use it, but I suppose if you're in the land of <960 pixels high I might be able to envision it being useful.

I think the key here is that if you don't use stretch-to-fit currently then even if you have a 4:3 monitor you shouldn't experience much difference from now, except maybe a little less horizontal dead-space/thinner side bar.

I do think there's a legitimate concern from stretch-to-fit 4:3 users, and I would be very interested in knowing what percentage of players that includes. I have a potential controversial compromise:

Square (currently): 15x15 = 225 tiles
Widescreen: 21x15 = 315 tiles
Square (proposed?): 17x17 = 289 tiles

This way, widescreen players get to see a little more left-and-right than square players, but square players get a little more top-and-bottom. The square one gets less tiles overall, but I'd argue that's made up for in terms of having better all-round vision. Heck, I might even choose that over widescreen even though I use widescreen.

Disclaimer: I am not saying the above is viable, an option, or what we're planning on doing. It's literally a shot-in-the-dark from me suggesting a possible future improvement. It comes with its own fun plethora of issues to do with visibility and balance, please do not glom onto it as some sort of genuine "this is what we're doing".
I am categorically opposed to any 'solution' in which the number of visible tiles varies with screen size. I am completely for any solution which has a fixed number of visible tiles for every screen size. I'm both confused and alarmed by the fact that various players (including admins and coders) seem to be confused as to which of these is being voted on, and think that this poll is probably useless as a result. I have a 1680x1050 monitor and use stretch to fit so I can have the chat take up a third of the screen.
Dishonest? This isn't me pulling a switcheroo, I'm not sure what part of the above disclaimer came didn't make that clear. The poll stands regarding the proposed widescreen thing, I'm trying to find something to address the concerns of whatever percentage of the playerbase think they'd be negatively affected by it. These are two separate things, how you feel about the shot-in-the-dark above should have nothing to do with the poll but more to do with "would that alleviate my problems with the initial implementation".
Yeah, I realized that after I posted and edited my post.
(11-06-2017, 07:05 AM)Grek Wrote: I'm both confused and alarmed by the fact that various players (including admins and coders) seem to be confused as to which of these is being voted on, and think that this poll is probably useless as a result.

Coders are definitely on the same page here, what hints otherwise? If the issue is me suggesting a potential later thing to be done, the vote was still heavily in favor of widescreen prior to my post. The poll is far from useless.

(11-06-2017, 07:05 AM)Grek Wrote: I have a 1680x1050 monitor and use stretch to fit so I can have the chat take up a third of the screen.

With 15 tiles high, at a tile size of 64 that's 960 pixels, leaving you 90 for any window/chat bar. Those make up less than 90 pixels on my screen, so I'm not sure why 64 pixels wouldn't work better for you (you obviously may have a different setup). I suppose I'll start up another "show me what it looks like on your setup" thread, so we can understand a bit more what players are using. EDIT: Here