Poll: Should widescreen be added?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
87.50%
56 87.50%
No!
12.50%
8 12.50%
Total 64 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Widescreen - Player Vote
Like amaranthineApocalypse, my driving concern was that widescreen would put people with 4:3 monitors at a disadvantage. Better systems to give certain players advantages is very un-SS13 and more so un-goon.

I understand to tell people to get with the times and whathaveyou, but remember SS13 is often played by people with outdated setups because said setups can actually run the darn thing.

THAT SAID.. that was put to rest due to the horizontal set-up. So there you have it.

Following on that, my other two concerns are these:

- Driving attention away from the chatbox. This is a minor concern, as it's really an opinion than a known fact. Information needs to to be more clear if we're going down this route. One thing I'd like to see is more subtle text colors and/or sizes of background noise that pops up on the chat (Sundance scratches, machine bleeps, etc). You could have radio chatter ever so slightly smaller than chatter in the room, as another example. Other than that, another idea I liked was emotes to draw your eyes away from the main screen and to the text box so information is all G. I'm rambling, but you get the picture.

- Allowing the AI to see a little *too* much. I'm not sure how to remedy this. But AI could become big brother incarnate by having full widescreen view of the crew. A minor concern too, but it's worth noting.

(Edit: I voted yes btw)
Okay lemme preface by saying: I voted YES and - I use 4:3 monitors almost exclusively.

A lot of people are arguing about this having no negative impact or handicap for 4:3 users, but that's blatantly false.
Yes you see the same total number of tiles- great.
The issue is the blackspace. Where previously 4:3 format screens were neatly divided into Game section and Text section, now there's necessarilly going to be a block of black space, so unless you've got some ridiculously high resolution 4:3 , you're losing some detail and straining your eyes just a tad more.

Rather than the previous system whrere everyone displayed 4:3 and the 16:9 folks just used up the extra space with black, now you're pushing a 16:9 aspect into a 4:3, and therefore shrinking the relative size of each pixel to fit the format.

At the same monitor DPI, 4:3 is losing out.

Still doesn't mean that the minority should hold back the majority, but don't claim it's gonna have no effect. I'm personally going to hate every second of it.
so i will actually change my vote to yes cause i didnt read mbc's thing saying they see the same amount of tiles. i have a 16:9 but i didnt want any disadvantages to others

however everyone is hating on people with 4:3 monitors and like "just upgrade you fucks" but not everyone is able to just throw money at a better monitor for better looking spacemen, shut the hell up.
I'm only "hating" as this is something the community has wanted this for years and constantly these few people come in and hold it back. There is no disadvantage and the 16:9 setup won't distract us away from the chat and frankly I'll believe a coder over anyone else on this. Them not being able to upgrade is their problem not ours and it should stop holding everyone else back. I run a outdated PC and some of the changes over the years have effected the overall performance of the game on my side but I never bring it up to use as a way to not make a change a thing cause that's my issue not the communities.

Also the examples used showed we can choose what type of widescreen we want to use.

If anything the vote shows it's going to be a thing regardless.
(11-05-2017, 01:37 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I'm only "hating" as this is something the community has wanted this for years and constantly these few people come in and hold it back. There is no disadvantage and the 16:9 setup won't distract us away from the chat and frankly I'll believe a coder over anyone else on this. Them not being able to upgrade is their problem not ours and it should stop holding everyone else back. I run a outdated PC and some of the changes over the years have effected the overall performance of the game on my side but I never bring it up to use as a way to not make a change a thing cause that's my issue not the communities.

Also the examples used showed we can choose what type of widescreen we want to use.

If anything the vote shows it's going to be a thing regardless.

you ever tried enjoying anything?
What?
If it's not something you're doing on purpose, hey, you're being incredibly negative and accusative for no reason? 

I just don't get what your witch hunt against "THEM" who machinate with their inferior hardware to ruin your space has to do with any of the actual objective pros and cons of 16:9 - 4:3.
Not seeing a point in that question as it has nothin to do with anything I said. If anything I've expressed that I want to enjoy the game in 16:9 widescreen and don't enjoy repeating what coders have already said on the topic over and over again. If you are goin to disagree with me then please stay on topic.

May not have anything to do with pros and cons but pointing out false cons is nothin but a good thing. I'm sorry if you are stuck with 4:3 and I do feel bad for you but I don't see why I and others should be restricted cause you can't or won't upgrade. I'm happy you voted yes anyways and thankful you see things my way as you said in your first post on this page. I am not witch hunting anyone. All I said is saying they are going to be at a disadvantage is not only false but was never a good reason to keep this change halted.
addendum to my prior post, just so it's clear what i'm trying to say here - this is the major difference assuming two screens of equal height, with the widescreen gaining additional girth ( specifically 1024*768 Versus 1366*768 , since they're pretty much standard )

My issue is that this is being portrayed or understood as a no-downside issue where poor-ass idiots like myself are villainously impeding progress, when the reality is that overnight, every sprite is going to get 25% smaller for us.  I agree that fuck the minority, but lets just be clear that this IS a handicap, no matter how small, and it's gonna suck ass for people with shit eyesight. 
[Image: aBcIP]
[Image: 3gTJvBO.png]
Who's to say they are goin to disable 4:3 completely this is speculation on my part but the examples showed that we will have the choice to what widescreen we want. They should include a option that keeps the default 4:3 ratio for users who choose to keep it that way.

Also we've always been able to Change the screen size to meet our needs. I've had to do that countless times over the years. Click and drag the screen over to the left
Not to mention how the chat has to be reduced to almost nothing in order to toggle widescreen with a 4:3 screen
But still I'd change my vote to yes even though it doesn't matter at this point. Because I won't have that handicap.
True, and i'd probably stick to the standard size, but then you're basically asking players to choose between two wrongs, so it still ends up being a handicap. Again, im not saying this is going to be the end all be all or that it's not worth doing- just that there's no escape from the handicap

A) you rescale 75%
B) you don't gain the 2 tile visibility everyone else gains.

E: or as Haprenti said, yeah you can just eliminate the text bar completely and get the same actual tilespace, and gladly get your can kicked in when you happen to ignore a string of admin PMs because you gotta make due if you wanna GIT GUD n b a ROBUSTER
Well I'm looking forward to how coders address these concerns and for more insight on this. But like I said the last time we had a thread on this topic. It's going to happen. It's only a matter of time.

And again the chat being too small is not a issue for the 16:9 widescreen maybe small black bars can be added to make it so all versions see he same amount of tiles but I rather avoid a Evil Within example as black bars look awful.
If You People are using the stretch-to-fit option for tile scaling at the moment, you worry me.
I have to or else everything it too small to see on my Tv.

I don't stretch it all the way across but just enough to play. The chat is still bigger than the game window for me