Poll: Should widescreen be added?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
87.50%
56 87.50%
No!
12.50%
8 12.50%
Total 64 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Widescreen - Player Vote
Doesn't screen resolution play a part in this too ?
I voted yes, but a small concern I have is that widescreen would put more focus on the game screen and less on the chat bar, resulting in an increase of the crew's obliviousness to things going on in the shift.

edit : Not everyone who plays the game uses the forums, so I think to be fairer vote wise maybe this poll can be announced in-game at startup or via the changelog?
(11-04-2017, 06:22 AM)Haprenti Wrote: Doesn't screen resolution play a part in this too ?

yea will people playing at 4k vs 1080p be able to see waaaay more tiles despite both being wide screen?

This is important to know before we vote
Based on my limited and probably irrevelant knowledge of playing around with player variables it's increasing the width by a set amount of tiles. So no having a 4k screen to play ss13 would not allow you to see the entire map. If anything they'd have trouble with any resolution smaller than 128x128 and stretch-to-fit being too small with black bars.

Besides don't you think the coders would be smart enough to consider this kind of thing when adding features?
(11-03-2017, 07:20 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 06:47 PM)Grek Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 06:24 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: so do widescreen players see more than non-widescreen?

Same number of tiles, just bigger/wider. Which is fine by me.

actually, no.

Widescreen does see more tiles.

It doesn't in the pictures???

E: https://i.imgur.com/YWTDnog.png
(11-04-2017, 08:17 AM)Grek Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 07:20 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 06:47 PM)Grek Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 06:24 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: so do widescreen players see more than non-widescreen?

Same number of tiles, just bigger/wider. Which is fine by me.

actually, no.

Widescreen does see more tiles.

It doesn't in the pictures???

Those are both widescreen just showing the different kinds of splits for chat.
I voted no, but I want to change my vote to yes.
(11-04-2017, 05:16 AM)Haprenti Wrote: So on my little screen I can be an antag, do antag things and have people see and report what I'm doing even though I can't see them simply for this reason, making it so I would have to be extra cautious when doing things ?

(11-04-2017, 09:02 AM)cgrn10 Wrote: Those are both widescreen just showing the different kinds of splits for chat.

(11-04-2017, 08:17 AM)Grek Wrote: It doesn't in the pictures???

Let me explain this better.

The entire point of the horizontal chat split is to fit a 'wide' game view into the bounds of a 4:3 monitor. There is no difference in the amount of tiles seen, regardless of your screen resolution or aspect ratio. Grek is right, as you can see the game view on both screenshots covers the same area. The difference in the screenshots is the aspect ratio of the entire window. Nobody should have any sort of advantage in the comparison images provided.

(11-04-2017, 06:22 AM)Haprenti Wrote: Doesn't screen resolution play a part in this too ?

(11-04-2017, 07:58 AM)Sov Wrote: yea will people playing at 4k vs 1080p be able to see waaaay more tiles despite both being wide screen?

This is important to know before we vote

Nope. You still have the option of 32x32, 64x64, the ugly ugly stretch-to-fit, etc.
I voted no before noticing the horizontal split option, which completely puts all the problems i had with the idea to rest. Can somebody change my vote please?
(11-04-2017, 10:14 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I voted no, but I want to change my vote to yes.

(11-04-2017, 12:08 PM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: I voted no before noticing the horizontal split option, which completely puts all the problems i had with the idea to rest. Can somebody change my vote please?

well gosh guys, read stuff first!! i've changed your votes to Yes for accuracy's sake
I'm voting no solely because even though i doubt widescreen sees much more, its still a difference, leaving people with smaller screens at a potential disadvantage. what if widescreen just stretched things (itd probably look like shit)
I don't get why some of you think we should all have to be stuck with 4:3 just because a small few refuse to upgrade. In this day and age you have to try and not have a 16:9 monitor. I personally think a small amount of people not having a 16:9 monitor is not a good enough reason to say no to this change. Them not having something most of us do is on them and should not slow down progress.

MBC just said as well that with the examples showed there is no advantage given so you can all drop that narrative now and embrace the change. Grek even counted the tiles in each picture and each example shows the same amount of tiles. There is no advantage. It just makes the game look better that's it.

(11-03-2017, 09:42 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: and if you compare the screenshots showed they both show the same amount of tiles. Though in the 4:3 one he is one tile over than the 16:9 one

Which is something I already pointed out but did not use the same amount of effort as him. Thanks to Grek for going the extra mile.
hell to the yes i don't think the minority should hold back the majority
How many players are ACTUALLY using 4:3 monitors as of right now? I know there are probably a few, but it is nice to know who would be most affected by this change.
(11-04-2017, 04:57 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: How many players are ACTUALLY using 4:3 monitors as of right now? I know there are probably a few, but it is nice to know who would be most affected by this change.

Affected how? We were already showed and told there's no advantage given to 16:9 players or widescreen 4:3 users.