Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Minor Stand/Rest Magic Allows Self-Surgery Without Alcohol
Use of the stand/rest bug allows players to perform surgery on themselves, including amputation and limb reattachment, without any real preparation beforehand and without assistance from others.

The way self-surgery is normally possible is by ingesting alcohol, which makes self-surgery less attractive than outside help when it's available. Abuse of this bug allows you to reattach your limbs and be on your way without much time lost.
I was under the thought that you needed to be drunk to even try this. Turns out that's not the case. Removing bullets and closing wounds yourself makes sense to me but reattaching a limb not so much even more so if you have one arm to do it with.
I've always thought of this as a feature myself
Self-surgery IS a feature, it just requires alcohol. The ability to do it without alcohol is a bug.
Being able to do self-surgery by stand/resting on an operating table should never be removed and anyone who wants it removed CLEARLY hates fun in all it's forms.
It's a feature.

https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=2628
alcohol dramatically increases the window in which you can do the actual surgery stuff, so stuff like self heart surgery is impossible sober, but reattaching an arm with your other arm is possible. real people can do it
Feature, and pretty basic gameplay. You see people do it all the time - been that way for years.

Slidectomy -
Pros:
- Don't have to beg for 20 minutes to get a leg stapled on.
- It's neat.
Cons:
- It requires a surgical table.
- It requires practice.
- You can screw up even with practice - especially with low lag or the mildest stim.
- The lay/stand slide delay cuts into delicate surgical timing, making some things impossible to do.

Drunkotomy -
Pros:
- No surgical table required.
- Can be done standing up.
- Gives you lots of leeway thanks to added time.
- It's badass.
Cons:
- Requires you to get crunked.
- Practically requires orange-aid and lime-aid. Possibly lemon-aid too.
- Not as quick due to downtime.

I use both. If I want an arm stapled on, I slide it on. If I want to do a string of complex frankenstenian surgeries, I get crunked.
imo we should keep self-surgery but change its execution. It is a feature but it definitely feels like a bug.

I think it should be :
  • A progress bar action that takes about ~45 seconds
  • You need to use a suture
  • If you are interrupted by ANYTHING during the progress bar, you slip up, stab yourself and suffer a temporary knock-out.
  • possibly a very low random chance to slip-up if you wanna keep the random element that lag would introduce into the current method
make it more dangerous to execute but less janky basically
this is a FEATURE i will protest if this 'bug' is fixed!!!!!!!
Make it so lying on an operating table doesn't paralyse you for some unknown reason. So you can still use your arms, and moving will make you stand up.

It would still be more awkward to do, but it would be less clunky, and it would stop people complaining about it being a bug exploit because they're too unrobust scrubs.

Downside is you can't watch sober people bleed themselves to death by repeatedly messing up their eye removal.
(11-03-2017, 06:13 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Make it so lying on an operating table doesn't paralyse you for some unknown reason. So you can still use your arms, and moving will make you stand up.

It would still be more awkward to do, but it would be less clunky, and it would stop people complaining about it being a bug exploit because they're too unrobust scrubs.

Downside is you can't watch sober people bleed themselves to death by repeatedly messing up their eye removal.
Yeah, I like this on top of the delay.

Just being able to drop all the told nearby and start working would be great. No standing up and sitting down repeatedly
(11-03-2017, 12:21 AM)mbc Wrote: imo we should keep self-surgery but change its execution. It is a feature but it definitely feels like a bug.

I think it should be :
  • A progress bar action that takes about ~45 seconds
  • You need to use a suture
  • If you are interrupted by ANYTHING during the progress bar, you slip up, stab yourself and suffer a temporary knock-out.
  • possibly a very low random chance to slip-up if you wanna keep the random element that lag would introduce into the current method
make it more dangerous to execute but less janky basically

I like the sound of this. More like a feature, less like a bug, and less convenient to encourage you to actually seek help, or slow you down if you, for whatever reason, can't ask anyone for help.
I think its a feature, I've always used it to reattach limbs since the chance of someone coming around to help you with getting re-armed is normally fairly low, especially with how many times out of ten doctors are antags.
Remember, again, that the intended way of self-surgery is by using alcohol. The bug is not being able to do surgery on yourself, the bug is being able to do so without alcohol.