Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chemical Tanks
We already have gas tanks, so I figured some way of mass-storing reagents would be good and play into other systems within the game. Thus comes the Chemical Tank, which I will attempt to describe by comparing it to a standard beaker.

+ Much greater capacity 
+ Physically 'present', easily interactable
- Cannot be carried by hand
- Potentially capable of rupturing and spilling its reagents everywhere
- Disposing of all its contents without a drain is annoying at best, dangerous at worst

Ways to interact with one/the world:
= Hook it up to a scrubber/pump to fill it with chems from an area-- slurp up the water/piss/vomit spills
= Tie it to a chemical/drink dispenser using a tube to crank out a full tank of stuff (takes a while)
= Use a container on it to fill the container; potentially could have a "tap" with adjustable dispensing amount, changed via right click menu 
= Similarly, use an already filled container to dump in more chemicals.

Potential use cases for one of these chemical tanks:
= Fill it with drinks for a picnic.
= Suck up spills into the tank for easy disposal later.
= Use it as a makeshift bomb by filling it with angry chemicals. (A way less portable one than a chem-nade, mind you.)
= Put unstable mutagen in it and scatter it around as a stage hazard for your cool gunfight.
= Crack it open and flood a room with water/piss/etc.
= Use one or two as a rapid pool refiller.
= Just fill it with blood. Fucking do it. BLOOD TANK
= Attach igniters to it as if it were a canbomb. Maybe. Probably not.

Why do we need this/why code it?
= It is thematically fun and could be prettily sprited.
= Emptying entire watertanks/etc is a gigantic pain in the ass.
= This permits a lot more interactions with the reagent system and the new fluid dynamics system.
= Overall it allows more comedy, drama, and generally fun quality of life stuff.
= Aside from interactions with dispensers and (nonexistant) fluid scrubbers, could be made from varying existing bits of code.

CHALLENGES
! What happens if you try to add a different chemical to a tank? Can it be homogeneous or do you need multiple tanks for different spills?
! Just how much can these hold? 1000 units? 10000? How many problems could that cause if one ruptured?
! Similarly, if you allow interaction with flammable/exploding reagents, if someone bothers to fill a whole tank and ignite it, what happens? Should it be scaled like a fueltank? This causes some weird edge cases.
! Allowing them to be rapid-filled from dispensers, while useful, could also be a major griffsource. (But we have rules for that.)
I'd love to see barrels as a kind of liquid container, in the same way lockers and crates are for other items.

They'd have slow pull while standing up, but can be pushed on their sides and rolled for faster movement, but would have momentum to their rolls if you lose your grip

They'd have different states of open and closed, filling and dispensing, etc based on different tools, so you can pop tops off then or tap them like a keg, or poke holes in the side.
(11-01-2017, 08:44 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'd love to see barrels as a kind of liquid container, in the same way lockers and crates are for other items.

They'd have slow pull while standing up, but can be pushed on their sides and rolled for faster movement, but would have momentum to their rolls if you lose your grip

They'd have different states of open and closed, filling and dispensing, etc based on different tools, so you can pop tops off then or tap them like a keg, or poke holes in the side.

Pop the top off: Pour it all out (if on side), scoop entire containers' worth of chems (on end)
Tap it: Fill containers/partially
Poke holes: Slow drain
Rupture: Fast drain

I like this idea a lot, actually, the idea of rollable, momentum-y barrels. I want to find some visual compromise- maybe there would be a few different versions of these barrels? Metal drums in cargo/warehouse/engineering, transparent plasticky canisters in science, actual wine barrels in the bar/chapel.
People can already dump out large reagent containers like artbeakers, so it's not that big a deal I guess? You can fill stills/high capacity tanks with all different explosives/pyrotechnics so these shouldn't be an issue.
(11-02-2017, 05:06 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: People can already dump out large reagent containers like artbeakers, so it's not that big a deal I guess? You can fill stills/high capacity tanks with all different explosives/pyrotechnics so these shouldn't be an issue.

How much does the average artbeaker hold again? I've seen them make fairly big puddles, but since one puddle tile holds 25 reagents if you just let them spread naturally with no resistance, it's not really catastrophic
Artbeakers can be anywhere from about 1000 to 15000 I believe
(11-02-2017, 07:12 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 05:06 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: People can already dump out large reagent containers like artbeakers, so it's not that big a deal I guess? You can fill stills/high capacity tanks with all different explosives/pyrotechnics so these shouldn't be an issue.

How much does the average artbeaker hold again? I've seen them make fairly big puddles, but since one puddle tile holds 25 reagents if you just let them spread naturally with no resistance, it's not really catastrophic

I dunno, they can get pretty big. I dumped an artbeaker half full of saltpetre with a dash of glowing slurry in the Botany podbay and the puddle spread all the way to the bar. Pulled all the lightswitches off the wall.

The real fucky thing was that each puddle had a teeensy bit of glowing slurry in it. Later in the round, I slipped in it and caught all the bad mutations. While it was admin karmic vengeance for making an enormous mess, imagine if this were weaponized.

It would be hilarious!
FYI the sprite i'm currently doing is geared towards a more simple approach of it being acting like a liquid scrubber. In/out but also can be interacted with beakers.
I have done a thing. I envisioned it as a pressurized container. 

OFF:
[Image: MAjxHWu.png][Image: 9iyjxxy.png][Image: IU2XL6r.png][Image: RHoKBuU.png]
[Image: a4h2i1U.png][Image: APxk39x.png][Image: lPIO3BF.png][Image: ktooD5T.png]

ON (Either slurping up or spitting out liquids):
[Image: O2U38hG.gif][Image: 3JufvJy.gif][Image: UefslZL.gif][Image: WfSgay3.gif]
[Image: SrOI9g3.gif][Image: UIzGgxJ.gif][Image: UkxaAoa.gif][Image: 2gUB2wd.gif]

Here's what it'd look like when it's filling up:

[Image: pXUwJy1.gif]
why does it have the absolute cutest fucking face in the world and can ghosts please inhabit it and go *beep boop*
Quote:why does it have the absolute cutest fucking face in the world

Pareidolia done on purpose.
This is a great Idea
Oh shit these look really nice. Implementation-wise it'd be fine with just the collecting/dispersing/filling behaviors (& tapping) at first; the rest could be stuff later. Although I'm not sure how it'd work on big pools besides having to drag it around but that's probably MBC's problem v

EDIT: They are very cute and good, and the way they're designed hits a lot of the desired implementation notes very well without necessitating attaching another dumb machine to it. Thank you Sundance!!
you got a .dmi or some clean .png files that I can import?
I'm not actually too happy with the sprite, mainly the L/R sprite as I've noticed I messed up the perspective (you should see the back piping/bit of the motor on the L/R but i've done just another window. Oops).

I'll upload some clean .png files later today after I fix the above issue.