Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minor Roundstart borgs do not get a name change prompt
When you start as a Cyborg, you don't get to pick your name at all anymore. You just get one of them good ol Cyborg [Greek Letter]-[Number] names.

And by good ol I mean boring as hell. Why is this prompt missing now (and why is it not an option for fresh-made borgs anyway)?
(10-30-2017, 11:46 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: When you start as a Cyborg, you don't get to pick your name at all anymore. You just get one of them good ol Cyborg [Greek Letter]-[Number] names.

And by good ol I mean boring as hell. Why is this prompt missing now (and why is it not an option for fresh-made borgs anyway)?

You are sterile humourless borg. Numerals bring you calm joy. 

Imo, give cyborgs random names maybe just stuff prefix "cy"or suffix "borg" on it, cyborgs need some rng. Johnborg 4.
(10-30-2017, 12:02 PM)TrustScience Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 11:46 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: When you start as a Cyborg, you don't get to pick your name at all anymore. You just get one of them good ol Cyborg [Greek Letter]-[Number] names.

You are sterile humourless borg. Numerals bring you calm joy. 

Imo, give cyborgs random names maybe just stuff prefix "cy"or suffix "borg" on it, cyborgs need some rng. Johnborg 4.

That is a pretty funny alternative but I do like my custom names
if i cannot be the fearful KRAKEN borg, there is no point in being a borg
Are you saying S.T.U.P.I.D. can only live up to his name as an AI?

BLASPHEMY!

(10-30-2017, 11:46 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Why is this prompt missing now (and why is it not an option for fresh-made borgs anyway)?

Presumably, if you REALLY want a custom name, you can ask the person that just activated you to change it while you sit in a charger?
(10-30-2017, 11:46 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Why is this prompt missing now

Because bugs are a thing.

Downgrading this to minor, as there's an easy workaround of getting literally any crewmember or the AI to change your name.
I think it should be trivial honestly.

You can't have an identity as a cyborg.  Oh noes.
(10-31-2017, 10:05 AM)Technature Wrote: I think it should be trivial honestly.

You can't have an identity as a cyborg.  Oh noes.

Quote:Minor: The defect affects minor functionality or non-critical data. It has an easy workaround. Example: A minor feature that is not functional in one module but the same task is easily doable from another module.

Trivial: The defect does not affect functionality or data. It does not even need a workaround. It does not impact productivity or efficiency. It is merely an inconvenience. Example: Petty layout discrepancies, spelling/grammatical errors.
Fair enough.
The workaround becomes especially problematic on rounds without an AI, or a responsive one at least. Getting a crew member to rename you is risky as hell since they could easily unbattery you and murder you off for the whole shift if you unknowingly asked an antag to do it. Or you get shitters like Technature that go "borgs don't deserve an identity" and give you a stupid ass name instead.

Just because borgs operate differently than humans doesn't mean you stomp on their player's ability to have a name.
(10-31-2017, 04:40 PM)Zafhset Wrote: Or you get shitters like Technature that go "borgs don't deserve an identity" and give you a stupid ass name instead.

About that.

Serious talking, I get that being able to name yourself and give yourself an identity is super cool and all, but not being able to isn't the end of the world.  It's considered a bug anyways, so it'll get fixed eventually.

Also calling me a shitter because of my opinion is pretty rude bro.
Would you prefer if I start treating every single post you make as a joke? Because you sure sounded like you were sarcastically mocking it instead of making good fun about it.

I care about how it is classified because coders are more likely (and should definitely) pay more attention to the more critical bugs. The bug may be "trivial" to you, but not to others who play borg roles often enough to care. It's probably borderline minor regardless, but if it's a bug that makes one think twice before deciding to roll as a round-start borg, It'll probably have an effect on how many people would select that role at all.
I get that you want the bug to be noticed and fixed, and that it matters more to you than perhaps others, but the bug classifications are not subjective. They have clearly defined reasonings for precisely this reason. When we say we're knocking it down to minor or trivial, we're not saying "I CARE NOT FOR THIS PETTY ISSUE OF YOURS" but more "we need to triage because holy crap this game is filled with bugs and if we treated every one of them as game-ending we'd scream ourselves to sleep every night".
I understand that, which is why I'm not challenging the minor classification Mordent changed it to - just from a glance at the bug reports section there are lots of other things that should definitely be focused on. I'm mainly highlighting that while there is a workaround it does put the borgs at some risk to do it, this is also considering that borgs are one of the easiest things to disable and have zero chance of being revived (unless the head survives, which people don't notice 50% of the time).

The rest is just salt over trivialization. I've had a particularly salty week and it's probably leaking into my tolerances a bit.
(11-02-2017, 05:48 PM)Zafhset Wrote: unless the head survives
This is probably another bug, but from my experience you can still debrain and re-borg borgs if they are decapitated.