Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Big Fluids Thread
I was lying it's not that big. Ideas and suggestions pertaining to the new fluid/pressure system could potentially go here.

Ideas for items:
Fluid Absorber: This basically acts as a gas scrubber but it just hoovers fluid up into it or squirts it around a room. The Janitor gets one, and its fluid tanks can be swapped out for differing purposes, from hi-speed cleaning to collecting blood to chicanery. For bonus points this doesn't trigger 'when emptied' reactions, thus making chocolate floods.
FluidPak™: Basically FLUDD. Takes up a back slot and can have a nozzle detached and held, can be used to suck up fluid or maybe even squirt it out. Acts as a spray bottle with greater range but way more clunky. 
Straw: If you hold this and click on a bottle, beaker, weldtank, or floor puddle, you will drink from it. Bar gets a complementary set of these.

Ideas for mechanics:
Ripped-up floor tiles should allow fluid poured into them to only spread to other ripped floor tiles, thus creating self-contained 'rivers' and 'pools' in the floor. I want my rivers of blood and molten iron dadgum. This would also make giving Medbay a homeopathic styptic powder pool much easier.
Certain interactions should proc in more ways than just 'are you or are you not wearing shoes'. Styptic doesn't, but cryostylane does, which is bizarre but hilarious.
Water should probably ambiently evaporate because it is the damned easiest thing to flood the station with.
Certain substances should not cause slipping at all and maybe should have a grainy overlay or something that makes them look more solid (powders, dusts, etc).
Instead of splashing sounds, walking on solids should cause powdery sandy sounds or crunchy ones.
Just to note evaporation is a feature. Maybe the time needed to evaporate is too long? It's based as a function of the fluid's overall viscocity.
Also solids shouldn't be slipping people. (again, slipping is based as a function of depth and viscocity). maybe needs tweaking too?
(10-29-2017, 12:54 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Fluid Absorber: This basically acts as a gas scrubber but it just hoovers fluid up into it or squirts it around a room. The Janitor gets one, and its fluid tanks can be swapped out for differing purposes, from hi-speed cleaning to collecting blood to chicanery. For bonus points this doesn't trigger 'when emptied' reactions, thus making chocolate floods.

One of the things I used as a janitor was riding floor scrubbers and carpet extractors, which not only have a mode that sprays a water cleaning solution onto the floor, but also a mode that sucks up that solution to make the floors dryer.

So, what I think could happen is, add a second extraction tank to the Janitors existing scrubber that lets them absorb liquids off the floor and a method to dump that into containers or over floor drains.

You could probably also just get away with things like towels and absorption powders that pull all the nearby liquids into it and then get a "soiled/damp" adjective when they can't hold anymore

We also sometimes would just set up fans in rooms with damp floors to dry them up faster. Assuming that gas extractors use fans to pull in gas, maybe one running in a room could also just dry the place up?
(10-29-2017, 01:07 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(10-29-2017, 12:54 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Fluid Absorber: This basically acts as a gas scrubber but it just hoovers fluid up into it or squirts it around a room. The Janitor gets one, and its fluid tanks can be swapped out for differing purposes, from hi-speed cleaning to collecting blood to chicanery. For bonus points this doesn't trigger 'when emptied' reactions, thus making chocolate floods.

One of the things I used as a janitor was riding floor scrubbers and carpet extractors, which not only have a mode that sprays a water cleaning solution onto the floor, but also a mode that sucks up that solution to make the floors dryer.

So, what I think could happen is, add a second extraction tank to the Janitors existing scrubber that lets them absorb liquids off the floor and a method to dump that into containers or over floor drains.

You could probably also just get away with things like towels and absorption powders that pull all the nearby liquids into it and then get a "soiled/damp" adjective when they can't hold anymore

I would be delighted if towels were incorporated into this beautiful fluid dynamics economy.
(10-29-2017, 01:09 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(10-29-2017, 01:07 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:

I would be delighted if towels were incorporated into this beautiful fluid dynamics economy.

Shit, could even give us a reason to use the washing machines/dryers as a way to reset towels to a clean, usable state
Would be nice if piss and water didn't deal fucktons of brute 100% unavoidably or something
(10-29-2017, 01:25 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote: Would be nice if piss and water didn't deal fucktons of brute 100% unavoidably or something

Earlier I was blinded by a tide of soup. I have no idea why I was blinded because I was wearing clothes (not a mask) and a helmet, but the soup just. . did things to me.
(10-29-2017, 12:54 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I was lying it's not that big. Ideas and suggestions pertaining to the new fluid/pressure system could potentially go here.

Ideas for items:
Fluid Absorber: This basically acts as a gas scrubber but it just hoovers fluid up into it or squirts it around a room. The Janitor gets one, and its fluid tanks can be swapped out for differing purposes, from hi-speed cleaning to collecting blood to chicanery. For bonus points this doesn't trigger 'when emptied' reactions, thus making chocolate floods.
FluidPak™: Basically FLUDD. Takes up a back slot and can have a nozzle detached and held, can be used to suck up fluid or maybe even squirt it out. Acts as a spray bottle with greater range but way more clunky. 
Straw: If you hold this and click on a bottle, beaker, weldtank, or floor puddle, you will drink from it. Bar gets a complementary set of these.

Ideas for mechanics:
Ripped-up floor tiles should allow fluid poured into them to only spread to other ripped floor tiles, thus creating self-contained 'rivers' and 'pools' in the floor. I want my rivers of blood and molten iron dadgum. This would also make giving Medbay a homeopathic styptic powder pool much easier.
Certain interactions should proc in more ways than just 'are you or are you not wearing shoes'. Styptic doesn't, but cryostylane does, which is bizarre but hilarious.
Water should probably ambiently evaporate because it is the damned easiest thing to flood the station with.
Certain substances should not cause slipping at all and maybe should have a grainy overlay or something that makes them look more solid (powders, dusts, etc).
Instead of splashing sounds, walking on solids should cause powdery sandy sounds or crunchy ones.

A traitor equivalent/modified fluidpak that can knock people down like a firehose and serve as an impromptu jetpack might be fun. Or even make it a security weapon.

For a ridiculous idea, what about a little fire department trailer that connects to golf carts and can recharge fire extinguishers. Maybe it even comes with a little hose if the sprites can be figured out.
(10-29-2017, 01:41 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(10-29-2017, 01:25 PM)John Warcrimes Wrote: Would be nice if piss and water didn't deal fucktons of brute 100% unavoidably or something

Earlier I was blinded by a tide of soup. I have no idea why I was blinded because I was wearing clothes (not a mask) and a helmet, but the soup just. . did things to me.

Was the soup hot? Getting hot things in your eyes tends to blind people. That's why you go blind if you weld things without a mask.
(10-29-2017, 01:54 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(10-29-2017, 01:41 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:

Was the soup hot? Getting hot things in your eyes tends to blind people. That's why you go blind if you weld things without a mask.

Oh. Probably? I think? I dunno if Dan's soup starts hot.
Destiny last round was filled with a huge pool of water, ethanol, vomit and some refried beans.

(10-29-2017, 01:42 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: A traitor equivalent/modified fluidpak that can knock people down like a firehose and serve as an impromptu jetpack might be fun. Or even make it a security weapon.

For a ridiculous idea, what about a little fire department trailer that connects to golf carts and can recharge fire extinguishers. Maybe it even comes with a little hose if the sprites can be figured out.

Making it a sec weapon would cause some fun cross-interactions (read: people stealing it from Sec).
You should be able to wring sponges out into beakers to recover chems they soak up.

Also, puddles of elements like oxygen should boil off and evaporate almost immediately - how can you have a puddle of liquid oxygen at room temperature? Similarly, we totally need LOX and liquid helium canisters.
I'm not a massive fan of the fluid sprites. I feel like they look a little off/jarring compared to the background sprites, with blood especially looking a little odd when compared to the blood-stain sprite. All liquids being the same transparency is a little weird, again especially with blood which looks like red-coloured water. Maybe certain liquids (like blood) could be made less transparent or even opaque?

My biggest gripe with the current fluid sprites is that they're too similar to the blob sprite, and don't all that much look like liquids spreading.
(10-29-2017, 03:16 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: My biggest gripe with the current fluid sprites is that they're too similar to the blob sprite, and don't all that much look like liquids spreading.

I am Extremely open to putting in new sprites. I'm not too great of a spriter. Pitch some my way, even
You're very on the mark about the blob thing. I literally copied the blob sprites and made some slight changes, heh
just updated some stuff that was requested.
+Overall lower chance of slipping, AND you can only slip while crossing the edges of a puddle (so the inner tiles are safe)
+Fluid reagent temperatures approach the room's ambient temperature
+proper reagent description that can be read with goggles and stuff
I think it would be pretty neat if a person/corpse bleeding in a stationary position eventually forms a puddle of it on the ground. It would be a pretty nice aesthetic I think - imagine seeing a dozen corpses in the hallway from a mass murderer and having to wade through the pools of their blood.

No idea how feasible this would be coding wise though.