Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[Feature] Artifact power gen and monkey converter
After reading the ideas for artifacts I implemented two of them:

Power Generator, up to 5MW, be careful where you plug it in ehehe
Monkey converter, self-explanatory and being a monkey is funĀ 

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...s?expand=1
wait why exactly do the gens work on data terminals not just wires
For the power generator one, I need to look at the powernet code a bit more to understand it, but assuming the general idea is "let you power the station with it" then you probably want to ramp down the output somewhat, as even the lowest one would provide enough to power the whole place for most rounds.

Maybe have it more like 5kW to 500kW generated non-linearly, so something like (pseudocode):

Code:
output = floor (5000 * 1.5 ^ (rand(0,10)))

This puts the output at:

This way the higher output ones are rarer. Either way, something needs to happen with the output level, even if it's linear.
Are you saying the mysterious *alien technology* could only make 500kW generators?
Well, I guess my point is "after 500kW, who cares?". If engineering can be replaced with a single random artifact every time it comes up (who cares if it's 500kW or 5MW?) then it might as well not change.

By lowering the minimum, at least, you mean that there will be ones that don't power the whole station, but may be useful in powering a power-heavy room. If the scale is linear then you'd rarely get one low enough to make a difference.

Code:
output = floor (5000 * 1.07 ^ rand(0,100))

Gives you:

Peak output then is closer to 5MW (actually 4.33MW, but with a touch more precision you can get it up there, 1.0715 gets it to 4.99MW).
That's quite good, I need to somehow calculate a level from 1-10 though.
(10-26-2017, 10:58 AM)Rocket Wrote: That's quite good, I need to somehow calculate a level from 1-10 though.

Code:
gen_level = rand(1,10)
gen_rate = 5000 * 1.0715 ** ((gen_level-1)*10 + rand(0,10))
Updated, also it's cables not data terminals aargh, fixed that too.
Having a power artifact would be great for powering telescience, when the RD like myself needs to waste power to make a void portal.
How about an artifact that converts monkeys (or other larger monkey shaped creatures) into power? Like a horrible combination of a prison artifact and a borging one
(10-27-2017, 07:44 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about an artifact that converts monkeys (or other larger monkey shaped creatures) into power? Like a horrible combination of a prison artifact and a borging one

Like a big eldritch hamster wheel.
I kinda liked the data terminals limitation, reduces the number of places you can hotwire the station from.
(10-29-2017, 10:45 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: I kinda liked the data terminals limitation, reduces the number of places you can hotwire the station from.

There was no data terminals limitation, just the text saying the wrong thing. Also there are no data terminals in the engine grid, so you'd have to make one to attach this generator.