Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Getting the most out of HoP
Question 
As we know, there really isn't a "right" way to play Head of Personnel, with the Captain having most of the major responsibilities of keeping the station from harm or chaos more or less, you as HoP might have other things to do, if not many seemingly at first. There is a sort of special freedom with the HoP that the rest of the heads may not share that makes it a worth while position to play and there's also a sort of art to getting the most out of it. the crew might definitely very much either appreciate it or come to dread it depending on the circumstances.

This thread is for mainly anyone who has played HoP as much as I have, as a bit of a forum extension of this section on the HoP wiki page, and really for anyone with good ideas, fun concepts, or strategies playing as the station's number one.

Personally, as the title itself suggests, I imagine the HoP to be more civilian, with law and order not necessarily being a major concern. The Captain and HoS can handle that, so focus more on station efficiency and assisting the crew in any way you possibly can. Not that you shouldn't play that way, but personally SecHoP gets kind of boring after a while.

Your PDA might get some of the most usage out of any of the available head positions, especially having the Crew Manifest program pre-installed. Usually when the crew has an issue, they'll express their concern on the radio while everyone else is currently shouting at roughly at the same time, so by all means make a lot of use out of the PDA messenger system. If a crew member has a problem, call them directly and personally, and even tell them "if you need anything, call me on the PDA". This I feel helps establish a more helpful and friendly mode of communication with the crew and the HoP. Even more so, check the manifest and make some calls asking if anyone personally needs assistance. It's good to be there in person to do so, but you can only be in one place at a time. No botanist on the manifest? Offer an open position over the radio, first come first serve. Your PDA of course has all the other programs you're accustomed to, so give those a look from time to time.

By all means, play as a guide. While you patrol around looking for things to get into, you might encounter a player who may not be familiar with the station, or space station 13 for the matter, and may be looking for directions on where to go or what to do. Show them the way, kindly help them familiarize their surroundings, and even especially show them the way to Customs if they need anything. Ask them all sorts of questions like "Do you know how to use your radio/PDA?" or "Is this your first time working in hydroponics?" They'll definitely appreciate it and knowingly, you might be the only person able to fulfill this role as everyone else may prefer to do their own thing. Assign them roles you might feel will be a good start if the one they start out with is either too advanced or they start as a bored staff assistant with nothing to do.

Miscreant? One time on a low-pop round, I printed a bunch or blue and red jumpsuits from the uniform manufacturer and started passing them out. Needless to say, it caused a little chaos. The red and blue jumpsuiters were so into their petty rivalry with each other (and my enjoyment of it), the traitor managed to destroy the station and escape without anyone really even noticing. After all, the blame regarding on what was going on, even with how hectic it all was, ultimately fell on the reds and blues, making them even more paranoid with each other then they were before.

So what do you guys think? Feel free to post anything from anecdotes to helpful advice. What would make HoP better, or playing it better, what you think the HoP should be doing, what you normally do as HoP, etc.
Yeah. I've always felt like the HoP is basically the Human Resources guy on the station, making sure all the departments have what they need and then deferring what they find out to the respective heads of the other departments. It's why they can do job changes, to redirect manpower to departments that need it
i just give everybody more access than they ask for. it's the right thing to do and saves people the trouble of cutting through walls and busting windows
Disappear immediately. Forever.
I like to try adjusting personnel into cool interdepartmental hybrids, when they come to the desk.

Things like giving the Barman kitchen & maint, or the chef getting morgue & hydro, and in general giving Staff Assistants all sorts of really random situational access, with a fitting new title of course.
All-Access is boring, Synergistic access is fun.

Also as HoP I believe it's more or less your duty to fill in for a vacant civilian department, if there is one. Just make it known where you're working from, and maybe ask a mechanic to make you a new ID computer wherever you are.
Find out whatever problem is occurring over the radio and recruit a ragtag band of misfits to go handle it.

The Goonie Method of personnel management.

I've never actually done this but it sounds like it could be a entertaining gimmick.
I pretty much just ask people what they want and give it to them as long as it's not all access or security access. I even let people know that I am there at the start of a round so they know I am doing my job. I constantly get PDA PMs asking for ID changes and I go and do them when I can. HoP is pretty much the job for anyone who wants freedom on the station and for people who want to learn the game with no strings attached.
Personal checklist for my HoP rounds:
- Give self all access.
- Make and hide backup ID computer IDs.
- ID change roll call for ten minutes.
- Check if good clown is on. If on, elevate to super clown: All access, sans ID computer.
- Cool gimmickers elevated in same way as clown, sans security.
- Remove personal ID computer access.
- Check if cool things are happening. If so, get involved.
- Attempt to be a kewl dood; fail miserably.
- Find some way to accidentally die.

Yeah, boring. I only play HoP by accident.

I find that jobs on LLJK2 are just access, and access is what you make of it. HoPs arguably has the most agency to do whatever they want. Which is why HoP is the default job for powergaming. Which somewhat unfairly taints the job. We need more kewl dood(ette) HoPs to counteract this.
i like to hire bodyguards and keep them with me everywhere i go in case i get in a sticky situation. i give them better access, a fancy suit, and increased payroll as an incentive. not only that, but i find just giving people access is kinda bland and boring. so when people ask for access i make them fill out a document like this

IDENTIFICATION REQUEST FORM

I, require an ID change to _________________________ because of _________________________________. I understand that the head of personnel is not responsible for anything I do with this upgraded ID henceforth, and they are not responsible for my death, injury, or any disability this brings on.

[sign]

it makes the job seem a lot more official and plus i'm doing some paperwork which is neat, however that makes me feel like when you edit a document with ___ in it i feel like you should only really have to put one _ and let the text stretch the page as much as it can go, instead of limiting the amount of characters you add with the amount of _ you put in. in honestly i think a lot more paperwork/office materials and features should be added to make not only head jobs but gimmicks more fun as well
Nobody can be trusted with more access, let alone you. Remove console access from all but one ID and immediately crusher it.
(11-01-2017, 03:10 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Nobody can be trusted with more access, let alone you. Remove console access from all but one ID and immediately crusher it.

But
BUT
BUUUTT
What if I want to demote someone?
(11-01-2017, 03:10 AM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: Nobody can be trusted with more access, let alone you. Remove console access from all but one ID and immediately crusher it.

This is really extreme and this is coming from a person who has a ton of issues with the Head of Personnel job.
It was a joke. You don't think I'd really do something like that do you? sop babys
I like to make a set of job + uniform combos (Doctor, Engineer, Botanist, Scientist, Clown, etc.) and leave them in labelled boxes on the table.
(10-25-2017, 10:24 AM)Captain Sheepy Wrote: SecHoP gets kind of boring after a while

That's where you're wrong, friendo. Discount HoS is tons of fun!

Lol, but in all seriousness, this is a great guide. I like the idea of the HoP using the crew manifest and ID console to actively fill out roles on the station. So often I see greyshirts lying on the ground, AFK, which they probably wouldn't be, had they been given a more meaningful occupation.