Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Add more atmospheric sounds to spice up the feeling of being in space.
My roomate was shocked the other day, when he learnt that SS13 had sounds at all. He legit thought the game was soundless.

This made me realise it aswell, there is very little sounds. most of the time the game is completely silent, nothing. no space noises, no footsteps. It's actually starting to bother me quite a bit.

For the most part it is farts and screams, and the occational explosion or weird hiss. I do feel this server needs more subtle but atmospheric sounds. The lighting system is very good at invoking this feeling, so adding some extra sounds would really make it more worthwile. Subtle creaks of the metal hull, fans humming subtly in maint.

Speaker announcement system talking either subtle nonsense or reacting to events. I don't play on other servers but I think they have some female voice saying the emergency shuttle has been called or something.

The way sound travels on goon is pretty cool, so having a few more sounds would make it much more enjoyable. As it is, all the minor sound effects like eating or dying doesnt do enough for me, making my head feel empty after playing for a while.

So my main idea would be to add a ton of "Flavor" sounds that play randomly to add to the atmosphere of being in space. Not too often, but enough to make an impact. Should players hate the extra sounds, perhaps give it a "mute atmospheric sounds" button.
Subtle hissing that originates from the various microphone/speaker setups all over the station?

The man raises a good point.
pipes need to make sounds. every time something passes by you should hear it slightly.
Why don't we just throw ourselves into the garbage disposals and keep moving around in the pipes? This would be pretty cool to have I think.
Airlocks having a sound to them, and a depressurising whooshing noise when opening to space would be beat
If the engineers have been doing their job, than you can usually hear the rattling of the engine in the distance as long as you are on the station.
The current ambient sounds are extremely quiet compared to the ear-piercing shrieks the crew and antags are capable of emitting.
(10-21-2017, 12:10 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: If the engineers have been doing their job, than you can usually hear the rattling of the engine in the distance as long as you are on the station.

Holy shit I am so used to this noise that I forgot it existed. frown
(10-21-2017, 12:35 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: The current ambient sounds are extremely quiet compared to the ear-piercing shrieks the crew and antags are capable of emitting.

yeah we have a lot of atmospheric sounds they are just very quiet. e.g. airlocks already make noise when opened most of the time
Don't we have that weird like, moaning/yodeling noise that plays when you open certain doors? Not the screams but like, the one that goes "wooaHOOAAHAHahahhh, woooahooahhhh"
I like when the door opening sound is replaced by yee.
yes. more sounds is good. keep the suggestions coming. ideally, if you can find any good free-use (creative commons 0 license) sound effects that would fit things ingame that would be even better!
the sound of the station creaking would be nice. airlocks, ambient jazz music, maybe some kind of hospital PA system in the medbay. sounds of computers buzzing and whirring in the bridge, sec, and cargo.

also we gotta have some low-key white noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqCoUvz_nwI
remove that shitty duck i can't hear anything with him blaring every few seconds
Please have a toggle to turn it off. The noise/music that plays when you are in tunnels sometimes annoys the shit out of me and distracts me.