Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add Igniter'n'things vendor to Security. Or just straight up more Securitrons.
So I haven't seen more then 1 Security Officer ingame for a while, and I am usually the one that is. So the Security Force could do with a few helpers.
Building Securitrons is a standard for all the Officers I have met over the last 2 weeks. Which means just me. Seriously.
But that requires me to leave the Desks (and by extension the entire station) unattended to go visit a vending machine for Proximity Sensors and Remote Signalers.

So wouldn't it be nice if the officers didn't need to do that
(10-20-2017, 09:05 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: So I haven't seen more then 1 Security Officer ingame for a while, and I am usually the one that is. So the Security Force could do with a few helpers.
Building Securitrons is a standard for all the Officers I have met over the last 2 weeks. Which means just me. Seriously.
But that requires me to leave the Desks (and by extension the entire station) unattended to go visit a vending machine for Proximity Sensors and Remote Signalers.

there's a vendomat in the same room as your lockers which produces those things which is presumably where you get the rest of the securitron components
and also secoffs aren't at all required to stay in security. how many people actually come to security to report crimes, they just yell at the radio
FWIW I'm with him, I like to spend half my time at the sec desk when i'm playing sec because it just kinda makes me feel official and respectable and hopefully it's seen that way by the other players in round. Patrolling is important too, of course, but the line between patrolling and valid-hunting can be tricky both for the sec officer and for putting out good optics.

And to be honest by rooting yourself at sec for some of the round, you increase the chance you'll be able to REACT to antag stuff in a deliberate way, as opposed to either just getting ambush-banked (regrettable but not so bad really) or stumbling onto that 1-in-10 situation where someone is trying to do something ambitious as an antag and pooching it all up for them.

Anyhow, yeah, like they said there's a vendor for that stuff in the locker room.
(10-20-2017, 10:09 AM)Newtonsolo Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 09:05 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: So I haven't seen more then 1 Security Officer ingame for a while, and I am usually the one that is. So the Security Force could do with a few helpers.

there's a vendomat in the same room as your lockers which produces those things which is presumably where you get the rest of the securitron components

I think securitrons also need a robot arm to work.
(10-20-2017, 10:09 AM)Newtonsolo Wrote: there's a vendomat in the same room as your lockers which produces those things which is presumably where you get the rest of the securitron components
According to the maps, that's only on Cog1. (and yes, I did not even notice that one, so thank you).

(10-20-2017, 02:22 PM)Superlagg Wrote: I think securitrons also need a robot arm to work.
You are correct. And if at all possible, a supply of them in the office would also be much appreciated.
Or just straight up securitrons.
(10-21-2017, 12:47 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 10:09 AM)Newtonsolo Wrote: there's a vendomat in the same room as your lockers which produces those things which is presumably where you get the rest of the securitron components
According to the maps, that's only on Cog1. (and yes, I did not even notice that one, so thank you).

(10-20-2017, 02:22 PM)Superlagg Wrote: I think securitrons also need a robot arm to work.
You are correct. And if at all possible, a supply of them in the office would also be much appreciated.

i feel like you should still have to work to get robot arms and not just have 6 or so securitrons ready to build on a silver platter, additionally if you want more robotic security you could ask the rd to activate some of the sleeping buddies 
also the people talking about the "desks" and the "offices" it doesn't actually make you seem more official because we can't see you in there so it just gives the impression there isn't any security on the station
give security a dog that will attack criminals kind of like beepsky, but it can also follow simple commands like 'stay' and 'follow'
(10-20-2017, 01:34 PM)Cyfarfod Wrote: FWIW I'm with him, I like to spend half my time at the sec desk when i'm playing sec because it just kinda makes me feel official and respectable and hopefully it's seen that way by the other players in round. Patrolling is important too, of course, but the line between patrolling and valid-hunting can be tricky both for the sec officer and for putting out good optics.

I patrol around just so I can interact with people and see if I can help out in other departments while I wait for a antag to strike or clues to be found by me or anyone else. Sometimes I get lucky and am around a area where something is going down. Like a antag just starting a rampage. Sitting at the desk is a really good idea/thing to do but sadly when I do it people just think I am braindead.

Anyways I like this idea. Security needs new things.
(10-21-2017, 06:34 PM)Newtonsolo Wrote:

i feel like you should still have to work to get robot arms and not just have 6 or so securitrons ready to build on a silver platter, additionally if you want more robotic security you could ask the rd to activate some of the sleeping buddies 
also the people talking about the "desks" and the "offices" it doesn't actually make you seem more official because we can't see you in there so it just gives the impression there isn't any security on the station

If you can't see a sec off sitting at the security window in the main sec office, it means you're blind. That's literally the "come here to talk with sec" window.
(10-22-2017, 11:35 AM)Cyfarfod Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 06:34 PM)Newtonsolo Wrote:

If you can't see a sec off sitting at the security window in the main sec office, it means you're blind. That's literally the "come here to talk with sec" window.

I think it means that in a more of "sec around, but inactive/braindead" not there rather than a "no sec officers" not there. Or maybe not. I don't know, maybe Newton actually does mean the latter. All I know is, that place is an okay place to go braindead since you can sit in the chair and make it like you're busy modifying the sec records (Personally, I'd do the cameras computer, since it's more isolated, but oh well.)
(10-21-2017, 06:34 PM)Newtonsolo Wrote: additionally if you want more robotic security you could ask the rd to activate some of the sleeping buddies 

The Buddies range from useless to actively harmful.

The ones on the station are kitted with either a flash or a tazer. While the flash'll take down unprepared threats, the tazer only fires a single shot, which the miscreants among us can attest is only good for a brief slowdown and a fumbled toolbox.

They don't check the security records, meaning that they won't go after anyone set to arrest. Instead, they harass anyone carrying contraband. Which would be great if they didn't ignore people with Head IDs, such as antags with stolen access. Good guys get booked and the badguys go free. Secure!

They explode if they die with a full battery, strong enough to punch a hole in the floor, kinda like a microbombed clown.

The custom buddies will end you with a fucking thought. I had someone's personal zapperbuddy fry me into crit with two lightningbolts, cuff me, then gloat about it. That's not even mentioning the sleepy-smoke and tranq buddies!

They're pretty effective and easy to send on a rampage. Purge 'em or (even better) EMP 'em. That zapperbuddy that almost killed me? I whipped an EMP grenade at it and it obliterated it's handler, along with me and half the station.

And they won't stop trying to ERP with me!

Now I'm not whining about how deadly and obnoxious they are; Buddies rule! But they ain't Security's buddy; they are as much dutiful lawbuds as Research is a source of medicine.

Securitrons, though! That's a whole 'nother story! They say that Harner is almost as much the law as Beepsky, but in truth they're not even close. One's a loose cannon ready to dispense the law, the other's a corporate toadie who answers to the highest bidder.

Beepsky respects the law above rank; while he's willing to give Sec and Command the benefit of the doubt, if they're wanted, they're gonna get got.

Beepsky carries a super-effective and super-non-lethal sidearm that only the baddest of crooks can resist.

Beepsky operates as part of a team. He'll alert fellow officers when he sees or arrests a person of interest, he can be ordered to disregard contraband while Sec's hunting for a high-value perp, and he's willing to be led around as someone's partner. This is why you can't outrun a radio.

Beepsky doesn't explode when he falls in the line of duty; in fact, he leaves behind his baton, discharged to prevent the criminal who killed him from using it immediately, but still free for hopeful vigilantes to recharge, regroup, and restore justice in his stead.

But most of all, Beepsky doesn't fraternize with the crew. Beepsky is a professional, a tool of justice; he is the long arm of the law, and unlike the Buddies, the only embrace this arm will give is one of cold, steel cuffs. He will remind you why you shouldn't fuck with the law -- because the law doesn't fuck around.

And thus maybe sec should get some extra Securitrons. Maybe even their own little Securitron hangar.

(10-21-2017, 09:29 PM)mbc Wrote: give security a dog that will attack criminals kind of like beepsky, but it can also follow simple commands like 'stay' and 'follow'

SS13 has made it clear that it can't be trusted with robot dogs.
Regarding Securitrons: Things need to be made more useful. When they've got their eyes on a crook, they're great. Summoning them with the PDA? Useless. They only move about 2-3 tiles at a time, then take a small pause, resulting in never getting there. If they even get there, because more often than not they forget their summon order and start back up on their patrol routine
what the fuck is an igniter n things vendor anyway
(10-23-2017, 10:06 PM)poland spring Wrote: what the fuck is an igniter n things vendor anyway

Vendor with the red background and... I dunno, it looks like a clamp, on it, for the symbol. Sells igniters, timers, remote signallers, etc.