Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Over the head emoticons on certain emotes
just make it a toggle? if you have it on you see peoples bubbles, if you don't, you don't. toggles solve like 80% of disagreements, guys
(10-02-2017, 09:16 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote: just make it a toggle? if you have it on you see peoples bubbles, if you don't, you don't. toggles solve like 80% of disagreements, guys

Or an opacity meter that goes from 100% to 0%. I also think they'd probably best be implemented as their own unique hotkeys rather than specifically tied to an existing one, like alt+shift+Y for a green check, alt+shift+N for a red X etc.

I can respect that some people would find them distracting, but I think they'd be a huge help in faster communication. 

I've made some slight adjustments and new icons as well

[Image: taZyK0v.png]Blank bubble
[Image: QBhojvu.png]New smile
[Image: hfNKu96.png]New frown
[Image: c4yUkb9.png]New Anger face
[Image: ZRNCykH.png]Check in new bubble
[Image: yqp11Je.png]Red X in new bubble
[Image: MGfMaym.png]Slightly changed exclamation
[Image: 8DHC4c8.png] Slightly changed question

[Image: XWuhqei.png]Ellipse
[Image: dP8pAki.png]Middle finger
[Image: Z0gZMFZ.png]Cash
[Image: Y16nO4l.png]Fire
[Image: IrneMm1.png]Gun
[Image: dklJRbT.png]Bomb
[Image: HqG89aS.png]Health

[Image: N5Q2D5M.png] and a new example
I like the second group much more than the first.

Especially the middle finger one.
I'm really against replacing existing hotkeys with these. Also just find emotes cringy in any context. So I'm just against these in generally. I also feel like this would just make people ignore the radio/chat even more then they do now. Call me a old man but communicating in nothing but emotes is god awful.
Could it be, we have found a new layer of pain and suffering to be added to motives? As in, players could only talk in speech bubbles?

Also, I know it would be a huge undertaking to do, but it could be that these show instead of the current speech bubble depending on what someone says, like the bomb if someone yells "Bomb!" or the middle finger if someone says "Screw you".
(10-02-2017, 12:36 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I'm really against replacing existing hotkeys with these. Also just find emotes cringy in any context. So I'm just against these in generally. I also feel like this would just make people ignore the radio/chat even more then they do now. Call me a old man but communicating in nothing but emotes is god awful.

Is it the face ones in particular that you find cringy, the concept, or people using emotes at all?

After drawing a few, I do like my icon ones more than the face ones, so if it's the former I can get behind keeping it limited to icons and pictures

I started drawing a few ones like the gun, fire, bomb and medical one because I was thinking, which would be faster to do in a situation in which reaction time mattered:

1. Typing "Watch out a gun!"
  2. Pressing a hot key that displays an icon
Number 2 also has the advantage of having the message in the same area as the action, meaning less dividing your attention.

As for the icons taking focus away from chat, I feel like some, like the exclamation mark or ellipse, would act as an invitation to look at the chat for more details.

Could this be exploited? Will people use it as a distraction to sucker punch people? Probably, but people hedge their bets lots of ways. Conversation itself is already used by people, asking someone a question and then attacking them while they're probably answering it.

I guess I just see more reasons this adds to the game beyond personal preferences visual wise
(10-02-2017, 05:54 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Is it the face ones in particular that you find cringy, the concept, or people using emotes at all?

I find this version cringy. I only tolerate the text ones we have now cause it encourages people to read the chat.

I feel this would just make people even more distracting from the chat and not read the radio which is already a big issue in my eyes.  

(10-02-2017, 05:54 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Could this be exploited? Will people use it as a distraction to sucker punch people? Probably, but people hedge their bets lots of ways. Conversation itself is already used by people, asking someone a question and then attacking them while they're probably answering it.

This already happens and has been a thing since I started playing in late 2009/Early 2010. People who wish you harm will employ a tactic where they will greet you and attack you while you are typing out a response. I know its used cause I am one of the people who use this tactic all the time.

I just don't think emojis fit with the style of this game. I get what you are going for but this will just distract people even more from the chat and make them lost to the events in a round which can already lead to giant misunderstandings among players.
Quote:I feel this would just make people even more distracting from the chat and not read the radio which is already a big issue in my eyes.  

We'll have to agree to disagree about that. As for the radio chat not being read, I think a big part of you have to look away from where the game is going on to read text. This is a communication system that keeps your eyes in one place, rather than darting back and forth between two, or having to scroll through missed text because so much was happening in one area you couldn't focus on the other.

This isn't a replacement for the radio chat log, it's a feature for making sure more important stuff isn't missed, like how PDA messaging makes a beeping noise.

(10-02-2017, 12:09 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 09:16 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote: just make it a toggle? if you have it on you see peoples bubbles, if you don't, you don't. toggles solve like 80% of disagreements, guys

Or an opacity meter that goes from 100% to 0%.

Here's the bubble at half opacity

[Image: cAnXE7g.png]

And the bubble AND the icon at half
[Image: esrrIhk.png]
If I can read the chat and play at the same time then so can anyone else. There's no excuse and this is coming from a person who has awful eyesight and plays on a 60 inch TV, people on monitors should be able to do this better than I. If this becomes a thing I rather there be a toggle to disable it then to just make it see-though.
Suggestion was a full opacity setting, so you could toggle it off by setting it to 0% or full blast at 100%

[Image: s9iNwM9.png]
[Image: 73f2H8x.png]
[Image: rn6BSpM.png]
[Image: X6TfDc9.png]
[Image: UhSH0P6.png]

Honestly having a lot of fun making these
If the problem is how difficult it is to see the small emotes, why not make the emotes color coded, and leave them at basic moods and feelings.
(10-02-2017, 07:03 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: If I can read the chat and play at the same time then so can anyone else. There's no excuse and this is coming from a person who has awful eyesight and plays on a 60 inch TV, people on monitors should be able to do this better than I. If this becomes a thing I rather there be a toggle to disable it then to just make it see-though.

I feel the health thing could be useful at least to differentiate the people who need help and those that don't need help clearly need help but are too proud to ask for it.  Kinda like the medic vision from TF2.

Maybe make it unusable if you can't talk (like breathing issues)?
(10-02-2017, 09:16 PM)Technature Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 07:03 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: If I can read the chat and play at the same time then so can anyone else. There's no excuse and this is coming from a person who has awful eyesight and plays on a 60 inch TV, people on monitors should be able to do this better than I. If this becomes a thing I rather there be a toggle to disable it then to just make it see-though.

I feel the health thing could be useful at least to differentiate the people who need help and those that don't need help clearly need help but are too proud to ask for it.  Kinda like the medic vision from TF2.

Maybe make it unusable if you can't talk (like breathing issues)?

I think there's another way to do this that's already in the game. You know those green glasses in medbay? Yeah they do this.
yeah im kinda have the same opinion as ed, the glasses in medbay do the job good enough also so we dont need that symbol also.
I really really like this idea, honestly don't see peoples problem with this? Something a bit more substantial than "I don't like this" or "It doesn't fit the game"..

I understand Ed's concern that it would need to be minimal so that it doesn't distract from the text box. If anything, the use of the overhead emoji's should encourage players to review the textbox. When you have for example, a shuttle full of people, the textbox itself becomes fairly useless between screaming, farting and people hitting anything and everything.

[Image: XWuhqei.png]So for example when someone current speaks it shows as this. This already occurs.
[Image: MGfMaym.png]However someone with a ! at the end of their sentence it would appear like this!
[Image: 8DHC4c8.png]As is someone asking a question?

The fire, bomb, cash, gun, health.. I would fear those would be too shorthand and fall into the realms of people using these emotes over talking, which should not be the purpose of this.

The smile, sad, thumbs up, middlefinger, tick and X are not shorthand and would encourage chat. For example, when someone shakes his head, the X would appear over.

My 2c