Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Allow gas tank -> gas canister flow.
When you hook up an empty, smaller gas container (tank) to a larger, full one (canister), you fill the smaller with gas when you open the valve. The opposite is not true though:

[Image: gas.png]

I suggest allowing this.
from looking at the code, it should work both ways

edir: tested ingame. HUH!
Out of curiosity, would a functional flow allow for poor man's canister bombs? 'Conceptually, it should, since the only thing a canister ignitor does is allow you to get away from said bomb.
(09-30-2017, 02:56 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: from looking at the code, it should work both ways

edir: tested ingame. HUH!

When you tested it, did you have the can hooked up to a port that'd have a gas pump drawing from it? Whether engine or toxins? I am curious if having the release pressure at minimum lets the gas pump pull gas out of the tank via the can.
If I remember correctly, the canisters have some sort of passive pressure gate or something?
I seem to remember it doing that at some point? Because I always thought it weird that industrial/lab gas canisters didn't have backflow prevention.
Even with an empty canister and full small tank, gas won't flow despite the pressure differential.

[Image: gas2.png]

Changing the release pressure doesn't have any effect, either.
(09-30-2017, 03:12 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Out of curiosity, would a functional flow allow for poor man's canister bombs? 'Conceptually, it should, since the only thing a canister ignitor does is allow you to get away from said bomb.

Nah, canister bomb detonators are the thing that creates the explosion, if you just over-pressurize a canister it bursts and releases the air with no real explosion.
(09-30-2017, 07:32 PM)Triacontakai Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 03:12 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Out of curiosity, would a functional flow allow for poor man's canister bombs? 'Conceptually, it should, since the only thing a canister ignitor does is allow you to get away from said bomb.

Nah, canister bomb detonators are the thing that creates the explosion, if you just over-pressurize a canister it bursts and releases the air with no real explosion.

It WOULD however allow things like "Poisoning the well". Inserting N2O tanks, or plasma, or even C02 into the general O2 cans people tend to use to recharge emergency oxy tanks would make the general inability to repressurize the station that much more dangerous. People might actually use atmo scanners to check tanks again, but who wants THAT.
I always just assumed it was a safety feature on the valve. I mean, one-way valves are not exactly hard to make. Blood vessels have them to prevent backflow.

Also the difference in the gas composition/pressure you would get from emptying a low-volume tank into a high-capacity canister would be miniscule.
Would make it a lot easier to put a tiny puff of plasma into a cannister for hotloop and canbomb creation purposes. No more needing to futz with air pumps and pipe clearing.